2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Who makes the Corvette Paddle Shift Tranny? and...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 01:01 PM

Who makes the Corvette Paddle Shift Tranny? and...

Who makes the Corvette C6 paddle shift tranny? And is it the same company that made it for the Grand Prix GTP and G6(it has it right?)? If so was it smart for GM to test out the paddle shift on a car like that before producing it and putting it into their flagship vehicle? Just interested!
Old 01-03-2006, 01:03 PM

Re: Who makes the Corvette Paddle Shift Tranny? and...

I think they're two totally different trannys.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:06 PM

The 6L60E is a GM Hydromatic transmission. It is of no relation to the FWD tranny in the G6.

GM, believe it or not, has always been a leader in automatic transmissions. They just dont feel it necassary to put their award winning transmissions into their own cars. Yet more logic from GM.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by MissedShift
The 6L60E is a GM Hydromatic transmission. It is of no relation to the FWD tranny in the G6.

GM, believe it or not, has always been a leader in automatic transmissions. They just dont feel it necassary to put their award winning transmissions into their own cars. Yet more logic from GM.
^ Someone's mad about missing shifts
Old 01-03-2006, 01:11 PM
Admin Emeritus

Is this going to lead into 5th gen Camaro conversation? If not, let me know so I can move it.

BTW...the contest in your sig is over. You can remove it.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by MissedShift

Yes, the Vette uses 6L80E, which is a GM Powertrain designed and manufactured transmission. It is not like the traditional GM hydramatics (like the 4T65E in the Grand Prix, for example), because the 6L80 uses clutch to clutch shifting. In fact, it is patterned largely after the 5 and 6 speed Allison automatic in terms of clutch control and planentary gear schemes. Both the 6L80 and the 4T65 were designed and built in house, not bought.

Not sure what was meant about not using their own transmissions in their own cars. GM did recently buy the Aisin 5 speed auto to use in some vehicles (Equinox, early Ions, Torrent). The Honda engined Vue also uses the matching Honda 5 speed auto. But other than that, all their automatics are their own (4 speeds, 5 speeds, and now 6 speeds). Was your post a jab at GM for not using the 5L40/5L50 here for a long time (even though GM built it in Europe and sold it to BMW for years)? That was kinda goofy, but they use it now (Caddy CTS, SRX, STS, XLR). They do purchase manuals, though (as do many/most other OEMs), like the T56 for example.

Old 01-03-2006, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
Is this going to lead into 5th gen Camaro conversation? If not, let me know so I can move it.

BTW...the contest in your sig is over. You can remove it.
Is the new Camaro to have this transmission
Old 01-03-2006, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by JB'z 94
Is the new Camaro to have this transmission
do you own a crystal ball? Because Jason doesn't.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:46 PM

It was a joke...
Old 01-03-2006, 08:49 PM

That would be a good indicator of when the new Camaro is about to come online. Logic dictates that the 6L80E would also be offered on the new Camaro.
It's the only 5+ speed Auto that can handle 450+ft-lb. If when GM starts building more than what the Corvette/V-series use you'll know something is up.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:13 PM

i didnt kno that dont kno alot bout trannies thanks 4 the info
Old 01-03-2006, 09:45 PM

GM makes both trans for both the GTP comp G/GXP and the Corvette. I belive that outside of the Theta suv's, everyone uses a GM made trans.

I would assume since GM is putting a lot behind these transmissons, we will see it in at least the top model Camaro. I dont see why they would go with anything else. 4spd might stay in production for some time, since they have had a large and still a very strong presence in the market. The only 5spd autos GM has are the ones in the Sigma cars and the XLR. There are no 5spd FWD transmissions either.
So it will come down to the 6spd/5spd combo perhaps. I would like to see the 6spd just become standard across the market.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Big Als Z
GM makes both trans for both the GTP comp G/GXP and the Corvette. I belive that outside of the Theta suv's, everyone uses a GM made trans.

I would assume since GM is putting a lot behind these transmissons, we will see it in at least the top model Camaro. I dont see why they would go with anything else. 4spd might stay in production for some time, since they have had a large and still a very strong presence in the market. The only 5spd autos GM has are the ones in the Sigma cars and the XLR. There are no 5spd FWD transmissions either.
So it will come down to the 6spd/5spd combo perhaps. I would like to see the 6spd just become standard across the market.
GM announced earlier this year that they will be aggressively moving toward getting their new transmission technology into all of their new vehicles.

This tranny not only is able to handle more torque than its predecessors, but GM claims it is more durable. There are some good writeups on Digital Corvettes about it. It is going to be the tranny of choice not only for its durability, but also for its improvement in gas mileage for the vehicles it goes into.

Vette dumped the 4l65e after just one year in favor of the new 6 speed. Magazines and critics have been hammering GM for the past few years for not offering 5 and 6 speed auto trannys. It would not make sense from a performance standpoint, an economical standpoint, or a PR standpoint to drop a 4 speed auto into the new Camaro.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:19 AM

Agreed, I am down for 6spd across the board, but its gunna need a real fast ramping up. The 6spd auto for FWD/AWD is what I REALLY want to see, thoes are the bread and butter transmissions that really need to prove themselves. Thoes are the ones that are being done with Ford.
HRM had a HUGE article on the 6L80E, and they talked about its size, and the very very strong possiblity that since its about teh same size of a 4L60E/700R4, that its a wiring harness away from becoming the most swappable transmission since the TH350.