2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

What's up with that . . .

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 09:32 AM

What's up with that . . .

OK, first off, Idid a search for my complaint but found nothing and I am new to this forum so please forgive . . .

But what's up with the placements of the backup lights. They're right in the middle of the freakin rear facia!!! Couldn't they have found a much better palce for these like they did on the C5 and C6 Vette? Could you imagine what the back end of the Vete would look like with the BU Lites smack dab in the middle of its facia?

Mark
Old 10-05-2008, 09:51 AM

I think that's been discussed. That wasn't where they wanted to put them but they had to go someplace...
Old 10-05-2008, 09:56 AM

I think the designers forgot them on the original design and then said "Hey, lets just stick them here."
Thats so the longer European plate will fit back there. Several hundred thousand North American customers have to look at them so a few thousand export cars dont have to be changed.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by FiefSS
I think that's been discussed. That wasn't where they wanted to put them but they had to go someplace...
Originally Posted by GTOJack
I think the designers forgot them on the original design and then said "Hey, lets just stick them here."
Thats so the longer European plate will fit back there. Several hundred thousand North American customers have to look at them so a few thousand export cars dont have to be changed.
Poor excuse for not finding a way to better integrate them . . .
Old 10-05-2008, 10:41 AM

I totally agree, the lites suck where they are. I dont think 1 person likes it. Maybe the aftermarket or a model refresh they will change it.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:05 PM
Admin Emeritus

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/blog.php?b=43

Those frickin' reverse lights - Okay, I know very few care for the reverse light location and style. In case you haven't heard, the Disciples voiced concern over them and even the Camaro Team doesn't like them much. I don't know the story, but from what I understand, it was unavoidable at the time and not many people are happy about it. It seemed like one of those "Ehhh...I don't want to get into it too much, but...it is what it is, can't change it now." situations. Could be red tape, budget, crash standards, board room disagreements, engineering/packaging limitations...one or all of the previous...I don't know. In person, I don't think they look as bad as they do in the released pics, but it sure doesn't look much better or at least as good as they could. Like the grills mentioned above, hopefully it will be something that can be accepted and noticed less as the car gets more exposure. If the aftermarket doesn't help this one...I will do what I have to make them look better. Don't ask me what that would be, I have no idea yet.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:37 PM

Thanks Jason! Like I said, I am new to the forum and tried to do a quick search for exactly this sort of comment and found none . . . please note 'quick'.

I found this site by listening to the Podcast found on iTunes many months ago but never listen to them 'til this last week. I have been on a crash course listening to them from episode 100 and am currently on 147 and plan to be caught up by the end of this week . . . nice job on these BTW!!

As for the rest of the car . . . where are the T-Tops . . . all kidding aside, I think the car looks great and certianly is an excellent starting point for the long needed refresh, redress that the Camaro needed. Being a Camaro fan forever, I can say the the 4th Gen just about ended my loyalty to the car as I had many issues with it. Many would argue that the break that the Camaro Faithful have had to endure waiting for this upcoming release was painful. But I argue that it has been well worth it and just what we needed . . . sorry to say this but 'Good riddens to the 4th Gen"!
Old 10-05-2008, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by VetteMark
OK, first off, Idid a search for my complaint but found nothing and I am new to this forum so please forgive . . .

But what's up with the placements of the backup lights. They're right in the middle of the freakin rear facia!!! Couldn't they have found a much better palce for these like they did on the C5 and C6 Vette? Could you imagine what the back end of the Vete would look like with the BU Lites smack dab in the middle of its facia?

Mark
It's over, the car is designed and headed for production. What it the point in obsessing about such a minor detail? I have yet to find a car that was perfect nor will I ever because my version of perfection would likley be seen as flawed by others.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Pruettfan
It's over, the car is designed and headed for production. What it the point in obsessing about such a minor detail? I have yet to find a car that was perfect nor will I ever because my version of perfection would likley be seen as flawed by others.
Please read my last post! I was merely commenting and replying with that exact understanding! I was also hoping to get a better understanding as to why they ended up there in the first place . . . note my comment about "Quick Search".
Old 10-05-2008, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by VetteMark
Please read my last post! I was merely commenting and replying with that exact understanding! I was also hoping to get a better understanding as to why they ended up there in the first place . . . note my comment about "Quick Search".
I apoligize. I reacted to your intitial post and failed to read the others. After reviewing those I better understand your point.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:27 PM

Personally, I already don't even notice them anymore
Old 10-05-2008, 08:50 PM

I was disappointed when I first saw the reverse lights, but I'd hate to see any extra lenses up in that tail-light setup, which is pure sex.

Maybe they're down there to give the competition something to think about after we embarrass them.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:55 PM

They're down there because the tail lights are 4 feet off the ground.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by GTOJack
They're down there because the tail lights are 4 feet off the ground.

I think their placement is unique...I wonder if vertical placement next to the license plate with similar height dimensions was considered?

At any rate, it's not a deal breaker...
Old 10-06-2008, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by 97QuasarBlue3.8

I think their placement is unique...I wonder if vertical placement next to the license plate with similar height dimensions was considered?

At any rate, it's not a deal breaker...
Won't work with foreign plates (they are wide). This car was built for more than just the US market in mind.

And I agree not a deal breaker.. it will set those apart that get it taken care of.