2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would be the best way to advertise the new Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by 91BigRedz28
Here's a thought- a bogus website that offers re-inforced door hinges for Challengers and Mustangs!
That is really damn funny. That would be a good way to reach the enthusiast market on sites like this and all the auto sites.

I agree with those who think that the mainstream media needs to focus on the refined performance and every day livability of the V6. I think that at least for the first couple of years they'll sell all the SS models they make with no trouble at all.

My concern about launching with burnouts and metal for TV commercials is that the response it will prompt from the general public is "well, that mullet mobile is back" (seriously, how often does Camaro come up in mainstream media that mullet is not mentioned).

I'd like to see them focus on import intenders and point out that Camaro V6 offers sophisticated DOHC performance with great handling at a price that beats the 328i and 350/370z. The V6 likely won't be as fast as a 370z by any margin, but for 10k less I think some would think about it...

Though they are FWD, I also see the Accord and Altima coupe as good targets.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:33 PM

On TV.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:02 PM

As an enthusiast, I don't want to see "just another car commercial." But for GM, that's probably the safest hand to play; all the points people have hit on, the gas mileage, the features, blah blah blah. Hopefully they throw in something for the people looking to assert their identity by the car they drive- something with attitude. This car is ALL attitude.

Don't hurt me, but I have to say one of the best car commercials I've seen is the "Anthem" commercial Ford put together for the Mustang's redesign. They played the Star-Spangled Banner with the engine, and did a pretty respectable montage of the Mustang's history, complete with the epic "Bullitt" chase scene. Obviously copying that would be weak, but it commanded respect not just as an automobile, but as a symbol of American culture. Camaro has that same iconography, and to ignore that would be a mistake, in my mind.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:21 PM

Simple:

Show a V-6 RS doing some twisties and showing off it's handling prowess, show the interior, talk about how the design is beautiful and the fuel economy surprizing, and then right at the very end of the ad, "And if that doesn't get your adrenaline rushing" and then show a close shot of the SS emblem at the rear of the car, and have it take off in a smokey burnout, pulling away from the camera.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by GMRL
Have the commercial start without showing the exterior of the car or saying what it is. Just pointing out the Highlights:
4 wheel independant suspesion(shows a close of up of the suspension)
Blue tooth connectivity(shows someone syncing their phone)
Bose 9 speaker sound system(shows the stereo)
Six standard air bags(shows air bags deploying in slow motion)
Available 20" wheels and HID lights(shows close ups)
Six speed auto or manual transmission(closeup of the shifter)
300 HP DI V6 with best in class fuel economy
Variable rate power steering(close up of the rack)
Stabilitrak Electronic Stability Control System with traction control standard on all models

Then after all the goodies have been flaunted, show the exterior of the car and end with a catchy phrase like.
Not your grandpas Camaro anymore...I dunno, maybe not so original, but you get my drift.
I really like that idea. It would get the idea in people's heads of quality first, and then match it with the Camaro at the end. Great!
Old 08-16-2008, 08:09 PM

burnout competitions.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:27 PM
Admin Emeritus

Been thinking about this...and made a blog entry about it...

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/blog.php?b=51

This is one of the smartest things I have seen an automobile company do.

Here's why...

They took a very visible street car and basically turned it into a turn key race car. All the guys who were going to buy one and strip it to race have most of their work done already since Mopar dropped 1,000 pounds off it and made it ready to race.

So the hardcore racers are happy. They take these cars to the track and trounce them.

People see the see the car perform well so they go to the dealership and buy the street version if they are casual observers or if they are also a hardcore racer, they buy one with a Drag Package for themselves. More Challengers out there.

Then some of these hardcore racers race well enough to make a national event, a televised bracket race, etc, and get the car on TV. With the HUGE Mopar decals on the side, free advertising all around for Chrysler.

This is a win-win for the racers and for Chrysler and is something that I wish I could see the Camaro team doing.
...but I am not so sure I can see it happening with the Camaro...
Old 08-17-2008, 03:55 PM

If people in general cared more about performance the 4th gen would have broken records for Camaro/Firebird and we'd be looking at the new 6th gen Camaro And Firebird coming out now instead of a 5th gen. That being said I'd buy the Drag pack 5th gen. What Camaro needs a better image. Years of not selling enough give the perception that its just a car for a marginalized group.

The Mustang still lags performance-wise and they sell a ton because its always been the car for everbody. Everybody loves it... little kids, teenagers, boy-racers, married people, retirees. Perception is reality. Ask Joe & Jill public about Mustang -- they'll say "yeah its a nice car" whether they've ever had one or not. Ask them about Camaro/Firebird and what will they say? Make this car the good-ol miss-american-pie drove my chevy to the levy Camaro that can still go to the track and embarrass everybody.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:12 PM

In all likelyhood, they'll need somebody driving it in the commercial. Just throwing it out there- I'm available...
Old 10-04-2008, 10:40 AM

I liked this one I ran across. To bad there is no 5th gen Z/28 planed, as of yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvmOY...eature=related

It brought back a lot of feelings about my 3rd gen B4C. Now I wonder if I can handle parting with my 4th gen also.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:45 AM

Put Fergie on it naked on the Playboy Channel.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:06 PM

Everyone in the car world knows the Camaro is coming. First they need to get them on lots so people can actually buy them, after they are out advertise the heck out of the V6's mpg's, and saftey while still being fun to drive. I would waste money on any real advertising on the SS until they sit on lots for more than a week, which could be awhile.