2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

What would be the best way to advertise the new Camaro?

Old 08-09-2008, 01:47 AM

What would be the best way to advertise the new Camaro?

From what I hear, the new Camaro has better build quality than the ones that came before. I feel pretty confident (and you can correct me if I'm wrong) that this time around, the car will hold up better than it has in the past. My concern is how to advertise or at least put forth the idea to the average and not so informed consumer that the car is better built than ever before.

Maybe I'm way off for mentioning this, or asking about it. I was just wondering if there was some way we could show that this is not like other Camaros that some people have experienced in the past. Okay, so some of us have had some good cars that held up. But some of us haven't. When some people think of Camaros, they think of a niche car for guys and gals that like sporty coupes. How can we give them the idea that this car has actually evolved to something greater? Okay, putting on my flame suit.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:40 AM

Well You can shout it from the moutain tops but untill you see it feel and experance it and live with it for a period of time and people , real people that have lived with it start to talk about it as being a good vehicle then it will gain a reputation for being a quality vehicle. GM has started this process with the Malibu and hopefully continuing with the Camaro but only time will tell
Old 08-09-2008, 10:28 AM

Hot naked women licking cars = instant classic ad.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:26 AM

Show it steamrolling a new street... .

Seriously, i didn't know they ever advertised the old one.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:12 PM

Something like the transam video show it rolling up tp a mustang at the light and the mustang starts to shake and pees oil.lol I tried
Old 08-09-2008, 03:22 PM

With some good music....

Well I'm frustrated
Outdated I really wanna be over-rated
I'm a finder and I'm a keeper
I'm not a loser and I ain't no weeper
I got the boys to make the noise
Won't ever let up
Hope it annoys you
Join the pack
Fill the crack
Well now you're here
There's no way back

Bang your head! Metal Health'll drive you mad
Bang your head! Metal Health'll drive you mad

Old 08-09-2008, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by merlinsteele
From what I hear, the new Camaro has better build quality than the ones that came before. I feel pretty confident (and you can correct me if I'm wrong) that this time around, the car will hold up better than it has in the past. My concern is how to advertise or at least put forth the idea to the average and not so informed consumer that the car is better built than ever before.

Maybe I'm way off for mentioning this, or asking about it. I was just wondering if there was some way we could show that this is not like other Camaros that some people have experienced in the past. Okay, so some of us have had some good cars that held up. But some of us haven't. When some people think of Camaros, they think of a niche car for guys and gals that like sporty coupes. How can we give them the idea that this car has actually evolved to something greater? Okay, putting on my flame suit.

Well they are doing a good job with the Transformers and Mine own enemy and being on boards like this. Honestly if demand is going to be like the 05 Mustang at the start, Im not so sure more advertising is needed with Camaro.

My favorite GM advertising is New years with the G8 hats. That would be hard to top. I also like the G8 comparisons in Motor trend that compare the G8 to the 5 series but the G8 is faster. (they word it ALOT better but Im not looking for the ad) Pontiac also compares the Solstice GXP to the Boxter and the Torrent to the porsche cayenne with the Torrent and Solstice being faster.

Ads like those when believable like I think these were catch my attention. One thing I dont think people who are in advertising get is that advertising at least for me is only one small consideration for a product. Usually it is making me aware of something I didnt know. But the thing alot of Ad campaigns dont realize is I am going to check. Them lieing or exagerating in an attempt to con me into the product doesnt make me more like the product more and only discredits advertising for that product in my eyes. Anual Generic Ads like Kia is running now and Ford used to run in the 80's and 90's that essentially say "ok ok we used to suck but weve improved this year... and well be running the same ad next year" are meaningless.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:14 PM

Best way to sell the camaro watch Transformers again, and of course dropping a TRANSFORMERS 2!!!
Old 08-10-2008, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by DvBoard
You couldn't be more right about that. Anything GM does will be better than their advertising (or lack thereof) of the 4th gen F-body.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by DvBoard
Show it steamrolling a new street... .

Well, I really hadn't given it a thought if they had or not; just wanted some ideas to let people know of the better quality before the Camaro comes out and they have their minds made up, kind of like, "Oh no, another Camaro. Yeah, my so-and-so had one, and it was a piece of crap." I just thought if the idea were put forth soon enough, along with a pretty picture, it might help them get the right idea. Plus, I know how people are about wanting to feel like they made up their own ideas, without someone coming along later and showing them, making them feel kind of silly, getting embarrassed, and not straying from their opinion, no matter what.

Also, I was for sure that I'd seen some OLD pics from maybe a magazine (playboy?) with an old Camaro or Firebird on it, advertising the car. It almost seems like years ago they 'did' advertise autos; to a degree, anyway.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:42 PM

Super Bowl commercial? That's right about when production will begin. Transformers 2 will help, but it doesn't premiere until June 29th (unless Shia LaBoeuf gets in another car accident), so the car should already have enough street-presence to hold its own.

Here's a thought- a bogus website that offers re-inforced door hinges for Challengers and Mustangs!
Old 08-12-2008, 11:16 PM

When the 4th gen came out,they had glorious shots of the Z28 sliding around to a Jimi Hendrix soundtrack,"Fire",believe. Holy crap,those commercials were like **** to my 14 year old eyes.Oh,to have Youtube back then.....................Seriously,i don't want to see any nambypamby new age eco,green MPG BS on this car.......I want AC/DC,i want tire-shredding,i want lots of exhaust "music",i want to lust for this car. Also,GM better not make apologies for any past Camaros to play up the quality of the new one. I want GM to be arrogant,like BMW.
There's a M3 ad from a few years back that said "we looked perfection square in the eye,perfection blinked".......................... Total *****. I would respond more to that ad than that old simpering GM ad saying we used to be crap,now we're not......i hated that,show some backbone and play up what makes this car badass.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:10 AM

In order to convey the improved quality, they'll just about have to promote the car's crash test ratings (assuming they are as high as they should be). They'll need to promote how quiet the car is and show off the little details that make the car nice. Beyond that, they'll have to advertise any JDPower type awards about quality. No movie or TV show is going to lead anyone to believe that the new Camaro is built to a higher standard.

While I understand the views of those who want to see commercials about the Camaro's performance (burnouts, devouring or scaring other cars, etc), that sort of goes against what GM is hoping to accomplish with the V6 version from what I understand. I'm not certain they'll need to advertise the SS version much as it will already have a market amongst the people who know how to read specs and keep up with performance car road tests. Since money is tight for GM right now, it would make more sense to push the V6 versions as practical cars for people who don't want an appliance for a car.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:10 PM

I think they need two types of commercials to reach the different types of customers. One, the regular thing you would expect to see in a Camaro commercial, burnouts, spirited driving, you know, all the normal stuff enthusiast would expect.
Then, another commercial to get the attention of those not so worried about HP and tire smoke. Something that would help put the old stigma to rest. Like mentioned earlier, "So and so had a Camaro and it as a POS".
Have the commercial start without showing the exterior of the car or saying what it is. Just pointing out the Highlights:
4 wheel independant suspesion(shows a close of up of the suspension)
Blue tooth connectivity(shows someone syncing their phone)
Bose 9 speaker sound system(shows the stereo)
Six standard air bags(shows air bags deploying in slow motion)
Available 20" wheels and HID lights(shows close ups)
Six speed auto or manual transmission(closeup of the shifter)
300 HP DI V6 with best in class fuel economy
Variable rate power steering(close up of the rack)
Stabilitrak Electronic Stability Control System with traction control standard on all models

Then after all the goodies have been flaunted, show the exterior of the car and end with a catchy phrase like.
Not your grandpas Camaro anymore...I dunno, maybe not so original, but you get my drift.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by GMRL
I think they need two types of commercials to reach the different types of customers. One, the regular thing you would expect to see in a Camaro commercial, burnouts, spirited driving, you know, all the normal stuff enthusiast would expect.
Then, another commercial to get the attention of those not so worried about HP and tire smoke. Something that would help put the old stigma to rest. Like mentioned earlier, "So and so had a Camaro and it as a POS".
Have the commercial start without showing the exterior of the car or saying what it is. Just pointing out the Highlights:
4 wheel independant suspesion(shows a close of up of the suspension)
Blue tooth connectivity(shows someone syncing their phone)
Bose 9 speaker sound system(shows the stereo)
Six standard air bags(shows air bags deploying in slow motion)
Available 20" wheels and HID lights(shows close ups)
Six speed auto or manual transmission(closeup of the shifter)
300 HP DI V6 with best in class fuel economy
Variable rate power steering(close up of the rack)
Stabilitrak Electronic Stability Control System with traction control standard on all models

Then after all the goodies have been flaunted, show the exterior of the car and end with a catchy phrase like.
Not your grandpas Camaro anymore...I dunno, maybe not so original, but you get my drift.
You're probably right about needing two different sets of ads, but with GM being as cash strapped as they currently are, I think their money would be best spent on the high visibility ads being the ones aimed at the average person. Do the SS ads as print ads in the car mags and such. Make the TV ads about how civilized the new Camaro is.

My thoughts on a specific commercial have been along the lines of a group of mothers getting upset because their kids all want to go to school with "Jimmy's mom" or else take the bus rather than being seen in the family appliance (aka CamCord). "Jimmy's mom" of course has a Camaro. The angry mothers could be the ones talking about how the Camaro has everything their cars have (video close ups of features on the car while the women are talking), but it's also got style, unlike the family appliance they drive.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What would be the best way to advertise the new Camaro?