2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kind of Image does the Camaro Portray?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 07:13 PM

Re: What kind of Image does the Camaro Portray?

THe Camaro screamed trailer park at the end. I have heard more than 1 comedian make the reference. The Joe Dirt reference is dead ***** on. The concept car looks like it will not do much to gain new buyers, especially female buyers. The car is bad *** looking and that is not what women are looking for. They want a cute car. Take a look at a 4 or 6 cyl Camaro of the 60's. They deffinately had a cute look to them that women liked. In the last years of the Camaro it was the fastest out there, alot faster than a Mustang, and it was cheap with rebates and they still could not sell it. They will be in the same boat if they can't sell this car to women.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:06 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Originally Posted by Chris 96 WS6
But if big power at a low price really sold cars the F-body would have never died in the first place.

IMO burnout commercials, besides the inherent legal liabilities, are a bad idea because they give the WRONG image to the public.

Sure that appeals to enthusiasts, but the average buyer is going to get the idea the cars are only good for one thing. Everybody that knows knows Camaro's are not short on power. YOu don't really have to emphasize that IMO. What needs emphasizing is ergonomics, style, value, "lifestyle".

Remember that female buyers walked away from the 4th gens in droves because they thought it had too much power.
Wise man!
Old 12-13-2005, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by kick Z tail out
When I think Camaro... I think of a cool wind blowing across your face as you cruise down the open road, raw power and rumbling exhaust... hot rods and muscle cars idling in traffic on a warm august night down Woodward Ave, Sunset Blvd or Main Street USA.

I think that's the universal connotation that comes to an enthusiast.
I 2nd this. I think of a cruiser, and I will indeed be driving it like one.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:21 AM

I'm sorry, had to do it
Old 12-14-2005, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Pig Pen
This is quoted from an Edmunds review on the '96 SS.
Here's a link to the whole article.

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...2/pageNumber=1

I love that article.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:08 AM

The cars (F-bods) have said, to MOST folks, low-tech and low class for a long time. I agree the whole redneck/ginzo/grease-ball/mullet image has been perpetuated in the media, and without a well-planed successful marketing strategy, it will stick around- why I have no clue. I think the last decent/non-negative image I can recall is seeing a silver 4th gen convertable in "Runaway Bride". I'm sure there are more good examples, but I simply can't recall them.

Joe Dirt and, backing up a bit to Smokey and the Bandit with a big cowboy hat and big belt buckle, is still what most folks think of. It's fruatrating to some extent since these same folks never considered, much less actually drove, a 4th gen to see and feel the true spirit of these excellent cars. Hell, the MOCO will have a tough sell FOR ME to part with my '02!

Ford got it right when the "new" Mustang came out with the Steve McQueen ads. Hell, those were awesome- even my kids (who have NO CLUE who he is or why he was advertising Mustangs) loved those commercials!

It all comes down to marketing, and sadly GM has been missing the boat for a number of years now getting the mainstream's attention. I am a big Led-Zeppelin fan but I've heard enough Robert Plant in Caddy ads to last a lifetime. I thought they were getting there with the Cobalt/Vette ads though... entertaining and conveyed the message about the Cobalt. Now ricers are taking an interest in the Cobalt- score for the domestics!

Thinking about the "universal" marketing/image of the F-Bod....

My older sister had a '84(ish) Firebird 6cyl/5 sp and loved it- it was all about image and fun to drive.

My other sister has a '98 Camaro 6cyl/auto. Truth be told, she doesn't like driving it most of the time because even the 6cyl gets squirrely (for her) in the rain with the back end breaking loose and the tires hydroplaning. She doesn't like the visability in the car and it makes her nervous to drive. Sad, but true....

When I met my wife, she had a 97 Firebird 6 cyl/5 sp- bought it new on looks alone (well, she got a damn good price too). She only drove it in the summer and mainly on the weekends. She thought it was a rocket..... until we got the Camaro SS! She likes the performance of the SS now, but she is the exception. Honestly, she was quite content with the performance of the 6cyl, and really doesn't see the big deal about an SS- even gets in digs about the gas mileage every now and then! No, she doesn't drive it much .

It seems to me like the next incarnation of the F-Body will have to be offered in a cute, toned town V-6 and, as mentioned before, advertised toward a female/praticle audience (WE, Lifetime, CNN, whatever) for sales numbers. At the same time, offer other (preferably 2) varients that highlight it as a SPORTS car with speed AND agility. The styling cues must set apart from the pack, but be, yes I'll say it, practical to compete with the current market.

The Mustang is only one segment of the market. The MOPAR offerings are beating GM to the punch and are viewed as solid/quality cars that have the advantage of being practical with a useable trunk and excellent performance when optioned out engine wise. Get too agressive with the styling cues in the BASE model and you'll kill your market.

I'd love to see an agressive, powerhouse car but it won't sustain sales. The image of the redneck, mullet-wearing drag racer has to be met head-on with a well balanced car that can be beefed up in the power department given the options.

Show the next F-Bod having fun, running rings around the imports (and the blue-oval/MOPARs too) and then have Teri Hatcher roll out of the car at the end. Hell, while I'm thinking about the Desperate Housewives thing, have Eva Longoria trade in her Maserati for a new Camaro on the show! It aint Steve McQueen, but DAYUM !

Allen
Old 12-14-2005, 03:44 AM

Camaro is actually all things in the original post. But what needs to happen from the advertising standpoint, is GM needs to come out with region specific advertising.

For examle,
SOUTH - "hearbeat of america" type of image or the tire melter image.
WEST COAST - "above all its a Camaro" (honda pun intended) where focus is on interior, handling, refinment, road rocket type of image or PCH cruiser type of image.
EAST COAST, MID-WEST, CANADA - "21st century Camaro" image where focus is on fuel efficiency, refinment, control, style.

I don't see GM doing their best in all these markets with a single campaign for the car.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:18 AM

Well, I thought I'd interject some memories and marketing history. When the restyled 98 Camaro came out, I remember seeing all sorts of ads in Women's Magazines. IMO they looked a little out of place...Advertising 305 HP in that magazine didn't make sense.

Here's some links to video's:
1985 Camaro Commercial-
http://media.putfile.com/Chevy-comme...cs-87camarocom

1970 Camaro Theater Spot-
http://media.putfile.com/70camaro

Notice no burnouts or crazy driving stunts. It worked.

I also have an '82 Firebird Promo video, but it's too large to upload. I have to find some way of breaking it into 2 parts. It is an interesting piece. They start with the V6 Firebird and it's interesting how they go about talking it up. Style, egonomics, and utility are all emphasized BEFORE performance.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:25 AM

Camaro....someone who just wants power and a sweet looking car without people saying its cute.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by rmc_ss
The cars (F-bods) have said, to MOST folks, low-tech and low class for a long time. I agree the whole redneck/ginzo/grease-ball/mullet image has been perpetuated in the media, and without a well-planed successful marketing strategy, it will stick around- why I have no clue. I think the last decent/non-negative image I can recall is seeing a silver 4th gen convertable in "Runaway Bride". I'm sure there are more good examples, but I simply can't recall them.
I think the negative portrayal has more to do with social elitism than anything else. This will probably spark debate, but I believe its all about political correctness gone too far.

Educated white people need someone to make fun of. White trash is the new "N" word. It somehow became okay to mock white poverty over the last decade or so. Frankly, I believe its bigotry. In an attempt to distance themselves from and demonize what they percieve as intrusive right-wing politics, liberal intelligentia equates poor white folk living in trailor parks with Christian fundamentalism...which in turn they equate with Republican politics. Therefore, because it is okay to trash the Republicans, it is okay to trash the poor white folk.

And no, I am not a Republican...I tend to vote more on the left side of party lines. This is just how I see it and my experience with the Bimmer/Audi/Acura crowd. I remember going to parties with up-and-coming 30-somethings. Pulling up in my Camaro, alongside rows of BMWs was not the way to get chicks. I'd get scowls and scoffs. Personally, I think they were secretly jealous There's nothing like the rumble of a V8 exhaust. I actually had a date tell me, "I've never known anyone with a muscle car".
Old 12-14-2005, 12:54 PM

You may not get chicks when you pull up next to a BMW in a Camaro, but it sure felt good when I smoked some guy in his brand new $70k 750Li over the summer, not once, but twice. Bet he felt pretty stupid. I don't know if they are jealous, maybe angry? I do agree with you about the white trash portrayal having everything to do with social elitism, Greg_Nate. Unfortunately social elitism shows up in many, many more facets of society.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:37 PM

I have a story to tell you about a stop at a gas station in town just after I got my 2001 SS Sunset Orange covertible with neutral leather and neutral top and every SLP opt. there was on it with 6 speed.
A guy was at the pumps next to me with at least a $2,000 suit on driving a black over $100,000 Bentz and he walks over and ask what it was and what color was that. I told him and he smiled and said thats the most beautiful car I have ever seen and said I bet it will fly and that was just one of the times I got that from people like him
Old 12-14-2005, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, I'll bet an SOM SS would have that effect on a lot of people.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:08 PM

i agree. my girl, who is a Mustang faithful, drove my 96 last year(still stock). after the first couple of times she told me she didn't like "the stupid traction control coming on when i try pulling away from a light". she was so used to her stock Stang's(a GT) acceleration she tried driving the car like that and would break the tires loose everytime. she got used to it and told me it was the fastest stock car she ever drove. i know she's an exception, but it makes you think what regular people would think driving a Stang and a Camaro back to back. big power only appeals to a select few.
I can see what you(turbo96z28) and Chris are saying, they were wound pretty "tight"wound...as in, you touch the throttle, it's right there!..As far as numbers, more people altogether were probably a little "skeered" of them. Thinking back, my uncle got behind the wheel of the IROC on an outing once. Taking off like he did in his own car resulted in going sideways in a hurry!.
That's one reason I hope the V6 has some healthy power, it'll be perfect for those people, seeing as how they usually like the better mileage with the tuned down takeoffs. And if done as a lot of imports, it will have lower torque peaking at a higher rpm, helping the G-Force phobia even more.
But shouldn't the 5th gen, keep up power-wise with the competition?
By 2009, what do you think "average" Horsepower ratings will be up to??
Still think 240 will cut it?

PS: I agree with morb|d on the advertising issue, I probably want to see different things in a new car than someone in Cali...

Last edited by 90rocz; 12-14-2005 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:09 AM

Where I grew up (southern Pa) the mullet stigma was never attached. Mustangs and imports were rampant and the 4th gen Camaro was treated kind of like a Corvette because it could outpower just about any car in the area. Around my high school they were looked upon as very cool cars. Firebirds, especially WS6's, were looked upon as badass.

The ratted out third gens (there were a good few ratty ones) were looked at as hick cars but the 4th gen never received that treatment. I guess that shows a stigma can be changed with just one generation change.

Quick Reply: What kind of Image does the Camaro Portray?