2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kind of Image does the Camaro Portray?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 12:43 PM

Re: What kind of Image does the Camaro Portray?

It seems to me that once upon a time the Camaro appealed, and sold, to members at least 4 different cohorts: 1) young to middle-aged women who wanted a relatively practical (i.e. not a 2-seater) car with style; 2) men who weren't gearheads but did enjoy a good-looking car with some power; 3) young people, especially boys, who wanted the image of speed even if their car actually had a 6 or a mild small-block; and 4) us, the gearheads who wanted the most power in the smallest car for the smallest price, which was why we craved Camaros rather than Chevelles or 'Vettes.

What do the members of the first three groups want now? Depends on the region and the socioeconomic strata, but it's often a BMW, Acura, Honda or truck. Even many of the gearheads think import before they think domestic, and if they think domestic they don't necessarily think Camaro. The image of the Camaro driver - the young mullet-headed cruiser or the 40-something divorced dad on the make - is part of the reason why. (Think of the two clowns in the "that thing got a Hemi?" commercials.) So is the image of the fast-but-crude Camaro. (I know, that wasn't true, but in marketing the image IS the reality.)

If Chevy wants to sell to us, all it needs to do is make it look remotely sporty, drop in an LS6 or LS7, and price it between $25 and $35k, depending on the package. Easy deal. If they want to sell to anyone else, though, I fear that Scott and his colleagues will need to remake the Camaro's image in their target groups. That's a major project, and cool as they'd be to see on the screen, commercials with burnouts won't do that.

We motorheads got our wish with the last Camaro. It was inexpensive and it flat boogied. For the next-gen car to succeed, however, it will need to have broader appeal - and a retooled image.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by TThompson

If Chevy wants to sell to us, all it needs to do is make it look remotely sporty, drop in an LS6 or LS7, and price it between $25 and $35k, depending on the package. Easy deal. If they want to sell to anyone else, though, I fear that Scott and his colleagues will need to remake the Camaro's image in their target groups. That's a major project, and cool as they'd be to see on the screen, commercials with burnouts won't do that.
1) the LS6 has been phased out
2) You're living in a dream world if you think you're going to get an LS7 powered Camaro for $25-$35K, if its even available at all.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:51 PM

Thanks, Chris - I meant LS2, as in the GTO, but that's not what I typed. And yes, the LS7 for $35k is probably a dream, but my point is that we're primarily interested in big power at a relatively low price. Conveying that value proposition to potential customers is a fairly simple challenge from a marketing perspective. Convincing people who long ago decided that Camaros are for knuckle-draggers to reconsider the brand is a much more complex proposition, especially if you're trying to hang onto the core market (us) at the same time.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by fasteddie94
For commercials the only footage that comes to mind that I would say is close to my idea of the camaro image is Metallica's I disappear video. James ripping through the gears, jumping it, dougnuts, smokey burnouts and a whole lotta attitude. Hope I'm not the only one that remembers that video.
I bought the MI:2 DVD just for that music video
But when I think Camaro, I think raw performance, burnouts, great handling and sheer power. I can recall moving into this house, the -extremely- attractive neighbour (A mustang girl, btw) telling her mother "He's got a CAMARO, mom!" as if I were Brad Pitt himself (Can't wait until she's back from university in April). When I think Camaro, I think of being able to line up at a stoplight and smoke mostly anything out there. I think of a vehicle with a 'primitive' pushrod engine, naturally aspirated being able to destroy whatever comes its way, with their forced induction, NAWS, Boeng 747 wing spoilers and 50 pounds of stickers. When I think of the Camaro, I think of it having the bad boy, leather jacket wearing, not answering to anyone attitude, compared to the Mustang's much more docile, repressed personality.

One thing GM could do to make it a hit is advertising. We all know that's a no brainer and the lack thereof contributed a bit to the demise of the 4th gen. But if GM were to take the approach they did marketing the C6 and the Cobalt, it'd be a hit. Remember the Cobalt commercial with the Corvette passing it, only to show the 'Vette pulled over by a Caprice police car seconds later? How about an extension to that commercial, with the Camaro blowing past both of them, the cop freaking out and jumping back into the car to pursue? The car has more than enough potential to hold the bad boy image, so why not play on it?

Last edited by Rob V; 12-13-2005 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:55 PM

Maybe $35K-$40K tho, SRT8's are hitting 425hp, starting around $38...If not an LS7, GM will need to tune up the 6.0L to match...if they want to compete.
Enter the 6.5L(396??)
Old 12-13-2005, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by TThompson
Thanks, Chris - I meant LS2, as in the GTO, but that's not what I typed. And yes, the LS7 for $35k is probably a dream, but my point is that we're primarily interested in big power at a relatively low price.
But if big power at a low price really sold cars the F-body would have never died in the first place.

IMO burnout commercials, besides the inherent legal liabilities, are a bad idea because they give the WRONG image to the public.

Sure that appeals to enthusiasts, but the average buyer is going to get the idea the cars are only good for one thing. Everybody that knows knows Camaro's are not short on power. YOu don't really have to emphasize that IMO. What needs emphasizing is ergonomics, style, value, "lifestyle".

Remember that female buyers walked away from the 4th gens in droves because they thought it had too much power.

Last edited by Chris 96 WS6; 12-13-2005 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by stars1010
I got to thinking when reading the commercial ideas thread that we each have a bit different idea of the Camaro’s portrayed image.

Its has to have a cute side some say for the potential lady buyers, it has the history of a tire melting drag racer as well as a history of a corner carving road race car, some see it as the bad boy alternative to the Mustang, others think of it as the all American pony car and so on.

So when you think of Camaro what imagery comes to mind?

Past that what do you think Chevrolet should advertise as the Camaro’s image?
Unfortunately, Hollywood and popular culture is not all that nice to the Camaro image. Comedians commonly use the words "Camaro", "mullet" and "white trash" in the same sentence.

I'd like to see that changed.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Chris 96 WS6:
Remember that female buyers walked away from the 4th gens in droves because they thought it had too much power.
Many didn't, I know of 2 in my department who oppted for the Z28's over the V6's...some girls get it.
I think most of them liked being able to see the hood to park, etc...and the more comfortable upright stance, and ride.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Pig Pen
This is quoted from an Edmunds review on the '96 SS.

later in the article

Here's a link to the whole article.

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...2/pageNumber=1
Good post. It's what I was trying to get across, but I think Camaro enthusiasts turn a blind eye to this stigma because they really don't care, they bought the car to have fun. The general population has other thoughts about the car they're going to buy, image included.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by 90rocz
Many didn't, I know of 2 in my department who oppted for the Z28's over the V6's...some girls get it.
I think most of them liked being able to see the hood to park, etc...and the more comfortable upright stance, and ride.
I'm sure many didn't, but many many more did. The surveys and demographics bore that out. I think Settlemire is where I heard that first. The ergonomics were of course right up there, but basically one problem was women were afraid of the car.

Anyway, I think you get my point....the marketing (and the car itself) have to have more appeal than just big power for a low price.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Chris 96 WS6
I'm sure many didn't, but many many more did. The surveys and demographics bore that out. I think Settlemire is where I heard that first. The ergonomics were of course right up there, but basically one problem was women were afraid of the car.

Anyway, I think you get my point....the marketing (and the car itself) have to have more appeal than just big power for a low price.

i agree. my girl, who is a Mustang faithful, drove my 96 last year(still stock). after the first couple of times she told me she didn't like "the stupid traction control coming on when i try pulling away from a light". she was so used to her stock Stang's(a GT) acceleration she tried driving the car like that and would break the tires loose everytime. she got used to it and told me it was the fastest stock car she ever drove. i know she's an exception, but it makes you think what regular people would think driving a Stang and a Camaro back to back. big power only appeals to a select few.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:00 PM

Reading this thread kind of scares me. I threw out my personal image of a camaro. I didn't think that burnouts and all of that were good media material. Leave that to C&D TV or the rest of the powerblock. If GM has to rework the camaro to appeal to every single breathing person in America then good luck with that one! I can bet that it sure as hell wouldn't end up appealing to the die hard camaro fans, since we seem to be the minority to begin with. It needs power that's the bottom line IMO. If A stock Z can't make it a drivers race with a GT, charger, challenger, or just flat out stomp their *** then it might as well be a four banger with all of the useless gadgets and gizmos. Hell throw some NOS stickers on it for good measure.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:10 PM

If they want to sell a REAL LOT of cars what they need to do is what all you people will hate:

Develop "body kits"
airbags
22+ inch rims crowd

because the 300 and magnum are viewed as cool in the hip-hop world as is the H2. Chevy needs to tap into that market as well. Kinda like what Pontiac tried with the GTO (drifting) and it was blasted everywhere it was posted on the web.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:14 PM

According to my wife?

Mullet, AC/DC, future Enzyte user.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:40 PM

Nothing wrong with AC/DC, and at one point or another everyone will need enzyte. Just the mustang guys need it sooner!

Quick Reply: What kind of Image does the Camaro Portray?