2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

What if...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 04:17 PM

What if...

What if GM were to "re-issue" the 69 Camaro? What if the car was 69 on the outside, and then completely modern through and through?

What would happen? Would they sell? Would it tick off the muscle car collectors?

I talked about this on my latest show, and I look forward to any comments, as I thought it would be an awesome idea.

-Scott
Old 06-30-2007, 04:55 PM

I don't know, it seems like the custom shops are doing a pretty good job of grabbing them and putting in all the modern high tech electronic gear, interior, and powertrains.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:08 PM

GM is already doing that by authorizing reproduction parts of the 69. A company (whose name escapes me) actually took their sheetmetal panels and put them together and sells whole 69 body shells, coupe or convertible. I beleive they also do the same for Mustangs, not sure on the year though.

It's as close to a reissue as you can get unless GM makes it themselves.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:26 PM

try this site

http://www.dynacornclassicbodies.com/classic.html
Old 06-30-2007, 06:59 PM

I think that would be an excellent idea. People who could never get a 1967-69 Camaro at the time or simply cant afford to restore one today, would lunge for one easily now that they have the financial option. The younger crowd 20-30 would go crazy for a 1st gen. With 21st century technology inside and out. The new Camaro is a great looking car...but in all honesty a Muscle Car is about intimidation, badas* looks and simple Brute power. Muscle cars should be loud, muscle cars should look like they want to eat the car in their way. The new Camaro does most of this but what gets me is the fact that the new Camaro has so much of a Cadillac influence in its design. There is too much cadillac design langauge and Its like Cadillac designers had something to do with the styling? Maybe they did...but to me the 1st Gen. was and still is the best definition of a pony/Muscle car besides a Mustang. Yes you can easily see quite a few generation influences throughout the new car. For just one second though think about this, because of the new "caddy" styling ,what if GM through a cadillac simble on the front of the new Camaro, Changed the grill, decked out the inside with a science and design interior and through some small details like projector/led lights and charged 45K for it? A competitor to the G37, Jaguar Xk etc...

Cliffs- New 69' Camaro would be an excellent idea. Its design is the perfect example of what a muscle car was and what it should still look like. The new Camaro concept is awesome...for a cadillac. I think that even though GM is very close to being done with the new Camaro and the New Camaro will sell like crazy. It would be a cool idea for GM to rebuild say 10k a year, 67-69 1st Gen. cars with an updated interior and powertrain based off the c-6 chassis or something along those lines minus the IRS. Release these 2009 69's as a limited edition for roughly 2 years side by side with the New Camaro. Sales wise the new Camaro will grab a ton of people based off of fans, new buyers and baby boomers. If the baby boomers and 20 somthing crowd have a second choice like the 2009 69' I think GM could profit even more.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:40 PM

Funny but this came up on our driver to the Norwalk NHRA race today.

We talked about htis very thing and came to the conclusion that as much as we like the old cars they are just that older cars, They are fine for car shows, drive ins and fun drives on week ends but as for a daily driver forget it.

Todays cars are just better all the way around and even if you upgrade the drive line and other areas it is just another old car. FI anything if too many were around it would steal the desire from many to have one as it would just be another car in a parking lot.

While I like a little herritage I still want a new edge to a car and the things tyhat come with it. If I want a 69 Camaro I would just buy one as even if they repop these they would cost nearly as much if not more than many older ones.

It is time many have to start living for today and just enjoy the past. Yhat is why it is important that Chevy does not go to retro on the new car as they need to move forward and let the Camaro grow into the car it can be in the future and not just live off a bunch of old names and styling cues.

Today you can build your own new repop Camaro and 57 Chevy if you want one.

What Chevy has done with the C6 and new Camaro is right on the money. You know what the car is by sight but it has a future edge to it as not to remain in a past limbo.

Too many think the good old days were in our past but in reality they are today and much of it is still ahead of us. We need to enjoy and remember the past but we also need to make new ledgends and icons.

Chevy and us need to always approach this as the best Camaro has yet to be built!
Old 07-01-2007, 01:49 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

well, first of all -- it won't happen.

You could not get the 69 design to meet federal safety standards and bumper standards....simply cannot be economically done.

As to a sudden demand -- I don't believe that would happen either -- first, in every study we've done, the 69 is an Icon - but by and large the segment that really 'gets off' on the 69 are males over 45. (that's not to say there aren't 20 year olds as well -- but in total numbers, it's males over 45......)

There's the law of supply and demand -- there is a demand for the classic 69 right now -- but put another 100,000 out there -- and there would be, in my opinion, extra supply -- and the price for the average 69 would collapse.

Yes -- the 69s are great cars - but they are old cars.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:40 PM

Unique Performance in Farmers Branch, TX partnered with Chip Foose to make some pretty nice '69 based cars.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:10 PM

If it were to be done it wouldn't be a good time to do it....The first gen hype is slowly dying down.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:00 PM

The suspension and steering on my 69 totally sucked by design, the cowl shook on bumps and the whole car twisted going over railroad tracks (convertible). Nobody would want a new camaro if it were built the same as the originals underbody...and the negative reviews compared to todays cars would kill it in the marketplace. Trust me...GM is doing the right thing even if they only put retro style sheet metal on top of a CTS platform....
Old 07-01-2007, 10:00 PM

I think what he may be talking about is what Dodge did with the Challenger, aka carbon copy .
Old 07-03-2007, 09:11 PM

If chevy actually build these they would get alot of hate mail, encluding a big one from me like fbodfather said the price of a 69 would collapse. 1st gen owners would also be mad because of this.

You go buy a brand new Z06 and go down the road and you will not notice a thing (well except for the power lol) you have a 1st gen camaro u will notice things like little kids pointing, guy giving u thumbs up and the ladies hollering. Because i live in a little town and the 4 lane is easier to get to some places but when im in my camaro i would rather cruise through town because of that.

Personally i like the 67 better than the 69 because of the vent window it just make the car look shorter and the 67 gets no respect, which i think is BULL.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:44 PM

Why would anybody pay the price for a "new" version of the old version when the original old version would hold its price much better? This would be nothing but a loser for GM...and remember that the "bean counters" run the show over there. The collectors of the original cars have nothing to worry about .....the originality of their cars is well documented and GM could never justify the cost or remaking a car under the original sheetmetal. Its much cheaper to remake new sheetmetal over an existing platform if they really wanted to cut costs to the bone. Thats what Chrysler is doing with the Challanger....its the same frame etc as the Charger except shorter. Duh.....I'll take the longer charger for less money thank you very much Hans........