2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weekend message......

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 04:58 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Weekend message......

Good afternoon, Camaro Comrades, Firebird Friends and Corvette Cousins............

Another great Summer Weekend is upon us ---- time to get behind the wheel and have a great time with friends and family...........

I may sound like a broken record when it comes to safety... (...for you young'uns....that's what we had before CDs and I-pods..) when it comes to safety, but I hope you'll understand that I do it to save lives..........because I CARE about you.

I posted this back on the 10th of July on the SSOA board -- It's been on my " to-do " list -- and so
I'm now "To Doing" it! --

I hope you'll share it with everyone that you care about.......

Here goes:

Hannan Road in Canton Township, Michigan is a contradiction in many ways……

There are warehouses --

--there are housing developments --

………..and yet there are also acres and acres of green fields and trees.

The fields and woods give this area a sense of peace.

That peace was shattered earlier this week when 1 young lady and four young men had their lives suddenly ended……all because of what appears to be a disregard for common traffic laws.

Jessica Sadler was only 14 -- she was riding with her friend, Eddie Gross. Joining them were brothers Sean and Terrance Harris. And driving the Black Ford Fusion was 19 year old Dan Broughton.

It was a warm July day -- not too hot, not too cold -- sunny -- a day of promise.

Coming from Pontiac, Michigan -- and traveling at over 60mph was Amtrak #353 -- heading to Chicago with 170 people on board. Many of the passengers had been in Michigan to attend a conference on Blindness -- many of them were, in fact, accompanied by their seeing-eye dogs.

The Norfolk-Southern Tracks intersect with Hannan Road.

A white SUV saw the lights begin to flash -- and the gates to drop -- and thus came to a complete stop.

What will never be known is why the Driver of the Black Ford Fusion decided to ‘blow by’ the white SUV -- at least 20 seconds after the gates had dropped………

The Amtrak engineer was following all protocols -- and of course blew the horn on the engine as required before every grade crossing.

We Camaro Enthusiasts have a good friend, "Turtle" Young.... who is a Railroad Engineer and lives in Austin, TX. He tells me that it’s unbelievable as to how many people try to outrun a train….and barely make it. I can’t imagine what it must do to a Railroad engineer’s adrenalin system each time this happens………..

As fate would have it, a video surveillance camera was operational at a nearby building and captures the horrible moments……..

……..one can see the white SUV stopped --

………..suddenly the black Fusion appears traveling at a high rate of speed……

…………….it swerves around the SUV ……….still moving at a high rate of speed…..

…………..and then there’s the Amtrak train --

…………………and it hits the Fusion squarely in the B-pillar -- carrying it down the tracks for nearly 1,000 yards before the train can come to a complete stop……the Fusion practically ‘welded’ to the front of the train.

…………and you have to ask yourself: “Why is it that intelligent people refuse to pay attention to traffic signs and signals?”

Five young lives snuffed out in an instant.

Four Families grief stricken.

Several communities in shock.

………and I cannot imagine the horror that the Amtrak Engineer has had to endure -- even though he is faultless.

It would be easy to say: “well -- it’s fate”

……..and it would be easy to say “….oh no, more senseless deaths….” -- and then go on with our lives.

---which, of course, brings me to my rant:

People are becoming more and more lax in their driving habits.

I’m tired of seeing people “slow” to 10 miles an hour at stop signs and then just roll through them................

(IT SAYS STOP!!!! SO STOP!!!!! COMPLETELY!!!)

I’m tired of people blowing thru red lights.

I'm tired of people who have evidently never been formally introduced to the turn signal lever in the car or truck in which they're driving.......

I’m tired of seeing people ‘yammering’ on their cellphones while driving…..

…………and don’t EVEN get me going on those who think it’s their God-given right to ‘text’ while behind the wheel -- or read their mail -- or put on makeup…….

Stop signs and Traffic Lights and Railroad Grade Crossing signs ARE NOT SUGGESTIONS!!!!

It’s time for us (…that’s you and me…) to lead by example.

It’s time for us to call out our friends and acquaintances for their bad behavior. (and don’t try to tell me that you or anyone else is capable of talking on a cell-phone and driving at the same time….I’ll bury you with facts and video!)

** note - in the original post, I did not specify "Friends and Acquaintances" -- which I should have -- doing this to a complete stranger MIGHT escalate into something dangerous..........***

I was walking out of a Kroger Store this evening with my arms full of groceries…..

Luckily I’ve learned to look both ways -- even on a one-way street --

…….because sure enough -- a Lexus SUV was coming into the parking lot THE WRONG WAY on a one-way street…the driver ‘yammering away’ on his cell-phone.

I called out: “YOU’RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!…”

(…………no, I did not use any bad words -- which, I must say, surprised me....…..)

The Driver of said SUV gave me the finger………..

What happened next was absolutely priceless:

A woman who appeared to be in her 70s marched over to the SUV and proceeded to tear this guy apart verbally…….. And as she did, several people applauded her…..(me being one of them…)

So -- how ‘bout it?

Are you tired of reading about senseless deaths and injuries due to negligence?

It starts with us. (…….that’s you and me…….)

Speak up!

Talk to your children!

Talk to your nieces and nephews and neighbors!

..but do NOT think that it’s an ‘age’ thing.

People in their 30s, 40s, 50s, and 60s are just as bad if not worse!

So call them out!

You MAY just save a life.......

It starts with us.....
Old 08-01-2009, 05:03 PM

God bless Bro!
Old 08-02-2009, 05:21 PM

co-signed, no more texting behind the wheel for me.

and not to nit pick but isn't camaro comrade saying the same thing? thought they both ment friend
Old 08-02-2009, 10:27 PM

I think you already posted that story here last month?
Old 08-03-2009, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by 30thZ286speed
Old 08-03-2009, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
...…………and don’t EVEN get me going on those who think it’s their God-given right to ‘text’ while behind the wheel ...
Recently I saw a motorcyclist who was, no kidding, texting while he rode. And no helmet.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:02 PM

Why ask a question you already knew the answer to? What is your point?

IMO this isn't posted enough. Thank you Scott.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:28 AM

And i hope he posts it next month, if it means that one new person sees it and it affects someone else to drive a little slower/safer. I do not posses the restraint that Scott does, and wouldn't have been quite so understanding with the yuppie in the Lexus. Now that i have a child, i am much more aware of the stupidity of others around me, and how it affects me and mine.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:18 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

sorry guys -- must have forgotten that I'd posted it here....

..........BUT - if it gets one more person to pay attention behind the wheel.....
Old 08-09-2009, 01:00 AM

Exelent post! This reminder cannot be repeated enough!
Old 08-09-2009, 01:01 AM

Scott the "Preemie" is almost back! I'll send pics when she is.