2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
View Poll Results: The ULTIMATE Z28 vs. SS Poll
Z28
60.34%
SS
29.31%
Other (ZL1, RS, etc.)
10.34%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

The ULTIMATE Z28 vs. SS thread. Where all Z28 vs. SS posts go to die...

Old 04-15-2008, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by HOTCIVIC
I highly doubt it.
I think that the LT filled the hole in the lineup, but it wasn't really an evolution of the SS. By 1972 the Z28s LT-1 was making nearly as much (or was it more?) power a the 396 in the SS, so it probably just wasn't worth it anymore.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:17 PM

I highly doubt it.
Well, that was Chevy's "official" explanation from the press release on the subject back then. Do a search, I've previously posted the verbatum quote from Chevy's press release and the female Chevy PR person's name (can't think of her name), from 1972. It said in no uncertain terms - "Type LT replaces Camaro SS" .
Old 04-15-2008, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Well, that was Chevy's "official" explanation from the press release on the subject back then. Do a search, I've previously posted the verbatum quote from Chevy's press release and the female Chevy PR person's name (can't think of her name), from 1972. It said in no uncertain terms - "Type LT replaces Camaro SS" .
Originally Posted by Eric77TA
I think that the LT filled the hole in the lineup, but it wasn't really an evolution of the SS.
I think Eric said it best.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:44 PM

Like a set of Twins...

I voted Z/28. Though I beleive SS has just as much merit it really seems like it should have more creature comforts. Whereas the Z/28 should be a stripper, or as close as we could get without paying to not have options. The two designations each have their place. Maybe the Z/28 shouldn't have the largest motor, I'd be more than happy to see it lightened, with track oriented gearing, suspension and brakes and a slightly smaller or more rev friendly LSX. I see Z/28 and think of the old Trans-am race cars (kinda wish I was old enogh to have seen them back in the day), and see SS and think of something my mom could be happy with on her drive to work each day. The way I see it Z/28 should be wild and only for the few of us, the SS is the car for the masses. Its already been said, but "Any Chevy can be an SS, only Camaro can be a Z/28."
Old 04-15-2008, 04:56 PM

I think Eric said it best.
Charlie is correct. Type LT replaced SS. It wasn't an evolution, but simply a replacement.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by 6SpdLT1Z
Please, tell me. When in history was there a 1LE SS?
Please see post below Thanks Possum btw.

What I like about an SS 1LE car is if you want to buy an SS you can, and if you want/can afford a heavier duty suspension/ maybe better brakes you get the SS 1LE. Id like there to be a 1LE badged somehow to differentiate it from the SS and give the 1LE recognition. It would be a comprimise between the SS LS3 and handling similar to the Z28. I have a feeling alot of people would fit perfectly with that car. Myself probably used but maybe people like Charlie off the showroom. Naturally aspirated.

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 04-15-2008 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:18 PM

I don't think Scott would appreciate that.
Doubt it. He had to go along with the revisionist SS marketing in the later 4th Gen as a last ditch effort to try and improve dismal sales. (which it didn't)

These days he's a believer in his own words "Any Chevy can be an SS, but ONLY an CAMARO can be a Z28", and has voted in polls here that the Z28 should be the 5th Gen's Z06. /Topic.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by IZ28
Doubt it. He had to go along with the revisionist SS marketing in the later 4th Gen as a last ditch effort to try and improve dismal sales. (which it didn't)
Really? Are those his words or your words?

These days he's a believer in his own words "Any Chevy can be an SS, but ONLY an CAMARO can be a Z28",
Sorry, but that saying says nothing about which will be the most powerful Camaro.

and has voted in polls here that the Z28 should be the 5th Gen's Z06. /Topic.
I'd love to see that poll and be able to confirm he voted that way.

Last edited by HOTCIVIC; 04-15-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:28 PM

Ask and you shall recieve. Read this poll and pages of this post very carefully. Although these days we could probably say the Z28 will be the ZR1 of Camaros.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=552625

On top of that, all insiders know the Z28 has been decided to be the top car for some time now and Settles has hinted at it more than enough times to get the point across. There's always been more support for the Z among Camaro enthusiasts and now inside GM. There really is nothing to debate.

Last edited by IZ28; 04-15-2008 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:52 PM

Ask and you shall recieve. Read this poll and pages of this post very carefully. Although these days we could probably say the Z28 will be the ZR1 of Camaros.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=552625
LOL

There isn't anything in thread that compares the Z28 to the SS. It is only Z28 specific.

I've also read numerous posts from Fbodfather and I've seen a lot posts showing Z28 love. I've also noticed he shows a lot of SS love too. But he hasn't said anything confirming which one will be the most powerful Camaro.

On top of that, all insiders know the Z28 has been decided to be the top car for some time now and Settles has hinted at it more than enough times to get the point across. There's always been more support for the Z among Camaro enthusiasts and now inside GM. There really is nothing to debate.
I've seen enough internet "insiders" to know that nothing is set in stone until it's officially announced.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:57 PM

ok, my opinion on what they should be for the 5th gen

neither is better than the other

Z28 = race car.. lighter.. less options... less powerful but high revving V8, corner carver.. made to go around the track and do it well.. same formula for the Z06 compared to base Vette.. but obviously within budget constraints.. heck, keep the LS3.. w/ some tuning, better intake and exhaust.. put all the money into handling and making it lighter...

SS = brute force power.. similar to the Shelby GT500.. High horsepower.. fully loaded with all options.. .. a highway cruiser and bruiser.. relatively heavy because of it having all the electronic options and gadgets..

now.. price wise.. i dont know which should be more expensive..
Old 04-15-2008, 05:59 PM

At this point I'd be happy with Camaro STFU.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
At this point I'd be happy with Camaro STFU.
Translated: "Everyone should agree with me and if they don't then I don't wanna hear it."
Old 04-15-2008, 06:27 PM

I didn't vote. I don't like the choices.
I don't know my Camaro history as well as most of the folks here, but I was under the impression that the original Camaro SS was more of the drag car while the Z/28 was more of the road racing car.
Neither of them is better than the other. They're just different.
The new ones shouldn't be marketed any differently.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:56 PM

LOL

There isn't anything in thread that compares the Z28 to the SS. It is only Z28 specific.

I've also read numerous posts from Fbodfather and I've seen a lot posts showing Z28 love. I've also noticed he shows a lot of SS love too. But he hasn't said anything confirming which one will be the most powerful Camaro.

I've seen enough internet "insiders" to know that nothing is set in stone until it's officially announced.
Um LOL, did you not read the poll? If the car is to be the "Z06, top performer", what else is left? Do you need to see a poll for SS in which he votes it will be the entry level V8/Z51 type car even though that's what it will obviously be?!

Why do you think we are seeing LS3's being tested with SS stripes and GM body kits with SS on them and nothing for the Z28? Because the Z28 is not gonna be there at launch like the SS and is still being worked on by a special team. Where's that brick wall smilie when you need it??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The ULTIMATE Z28 vs. SS thread. Where all Z28 vs. SS posts go to die...