2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to make is 3YEARS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 06:18 PM

Time to make is 3YEARS?

So if it takes GMonly 10months to get the car from paper to a real car why will it take 3 more years before i can buy one. Maybee im missing something, someone fill me in.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:22 PM

Re: Time to make is 3YEARS?

well its not 10 months...possibly 2 years.. IF everything is done right..but not 10 months...and if it is received well it just might be out sooner than later..email GM and tell them that you need this car yesterday
Old 01-11-2006, 06:49 PM

To answer this question you must think what does it take to build a car and go from there. First get the business plan approved which involves many of the following steps. First off what factory is available? Then what modifications need to be done to the line? Then who are we buying these thousands of parts from? What can they do them for vs someone else? Now we are past the business case. When can they have the test parts ready to go? How long does it take to test the part to failure? When the test parts fail how long will it take to get new ones designed and tested and then retested? How long does it take to get stamping tooling done? Where do we get the materails? Ok now How long does it take to put together mules and test models? Ok now we run those around the world in the worst enviroments for cars. When they break we find out why and engineer new solutions. Then we go back out and run them till the break AGAIN. Then you get to actually set up the factory, buy tooling, make contracts with employees, unions, suppliers, utility companies, and finally you can complete this and setup a test run of a couple of a hundred cars. These cars are betas and they get run into the ground, I would LOVE to find out how many miles are put on these cars. Now if something breaks on a beta you have a serious delay. You have to find out what the problem is, why it happened, if it can be replicated, what part failed, why did it fail, who's fault it is (supplier or assembly), how do we fix it...

Remember while all of this is going on you have a bean counter over your shoulder and in your brain screaming."It costs how much, NO find someone to get it done cheaper!"

Ok now your betas run flawlessly, your plant is ready to go, people know their job and you can make a few hundred thousand cars over the next few years.

Do you think that 18-24 months is an increadibly fast time to get all this done or am I the only one? BTW I don't work in the industry I am just saying things I know happen from reading ACAR. There is probably a million more things that happen that most people don't know or want to know about.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:57 PM

^wow that was pretty good reading. Puts things in perspective.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:04 PM

Wasn't it also true that the initial design direction was totally scrapped which would add even more time?

We really don't know when work started on this car but I suspect that the time delay has to do with waiting for the platform to be ready and a plant to build it in, along with many other factors.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:05 PM

don't forget all the saftey rules they have to meet
Old 01-11-2006, 08:22 PM

Every played that card game called "B.S."? No? How about Poker? I call GM's bluff. Are you aware why car companies unveil "concept" cars? They want to give the public a glimpse of what their teams of engineers and designers have been doing (or working on) for the past several years.

As many people on this forum can attest to, the project for the "next generation Camaro" started a long, LONG time ago. Concept cars usually are revealed when the manufacturer is 12 to 18 months (sometimes up to 24 months) away from actual production.

Plus, with the buzz being that the Camaro is supposed to hit showroom in '09, the papparatzi (sp?) won't be around taking pictures and leaking them out to the public.

I'd like to think that this is nothing more than a bluff - the General is not that stupid to wait that long to launch a car. I could be wrong, but then again, I could be right.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
To answer this question you must think what does it take to build a car and go from there. First get the business plan approved which involves many of the following steps. First off what factory is available? Then what modifications need to be done to the line? Then who are we buying these thousands of parts from? What can they do them for vs someone else? Now we are past the business case. When can they have the test parts ready to go? How long does it take to test the part to failure? When the test parts fail how long will it take to get new ones designed and tested and then retested? How long does it take to get stamping tooling done? Where do we get the materails? Ok now How long does it take to put together mules and test models? Ok now we run those around the world in the worst enviroments for cars. When they break we find out why and engineer new solutions. Then we go back out and run them till the break AGAIN. Then you get to actually set up the factory, buy tooling, make contracts with employees, unions, suppliers, utility companies, and finally you can complete this and setup a test run of a couple of a hundred cars. These cars are betas and they get run into the ground, I would LOVE to find out how many miles are put on these cars. Now if something breaks on a beta you have a serious delay. You have to find out what the problem is, why it happened, if it can be replicated, what part failed, why did it fail, who's fault it is (supplier or assembly), how do we fix it...

Remember while all of this is going on you have a bean counter over your shoulder and in your brain screaming."It costs how much, NO find someone to get it done cheaper!"

Ok now your betas run flawlessly, your plant is ready to go, people know their job and you can make a few hundred thousand cars over the next few years.

Do you think that 18-24 months is an increadibly fast time to get all this done or am I the only one? BTW I don't work in the industry I am just saying things I know happen from reading ACAR. There is probably a million more things that happen that most people don't know or want to know about.

I knew all this

But the real question is where is Camaro in all of that?...

I think we are farther along then expected
Old 01-11-2006, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by stars1010
I knew all this

But the real question is where is Camaro in all of that?...

I think we are farther along then expected
My guess. Contracts haven't gone out but initial bids have. Also I am pretty sure they know where they want to build it and have since Kappa's business case was made. Mule work is being done in Aus and at Milford, VE's have been testing there for quite a while. All that needs to be done now is to approve the business plan, all electronics/powertrain/suspension is being used elsewhere within 1 year. That means that if GM wanted to push for it the only delays are with tooling, suppliers, plant line being setup (rumors part of this is already done), and alpha and beta testing.