2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Is there a light at the end of the Z28 tunnel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by AdioSS
Come to think about it, I seem to remember that GM will be offering a very special edition Camaro that is super lightweight.... I would actually be surprised if this package weighs over 3000 pounds!

Ah, here is a thread about it...
https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=657951
HAHAHAHA..... thats actually not a bad idea, it takes away all the crap I don't want. Then I can add all the stuff I do want.

It won't even be hard to register, ask any Nissan Skyline owner, they have the best loop holes to get any car resgistered
Old 02-17-2009, 12:23 PM

It looks like shaving weight will not happen. Unless they decide to axe the back seat ala Mustang Cobra R, axe the A/C and radio. Go with ultra light wheels and lighter suspension components (expensive) and MAYBE GM could shave 75-100 lbs for a limited edition Z28. But I don't see that happening.
I think that perhaps dealer participation like the Yenko's and Bergers of old is what we are going to see for a Super Camaro. They could drop in a LS7 or LSA and charge whatever they want. People will buy them. Or even slap a ProCharger on the LS3 or Heads & Cam package. That's a reality I can see happening now. With liberals running the show and writing the check to GM, it would be foolish for GM to bite the hand that has fed it and build a LSA Z28. I don't see that happening at all. It is their goal to make you feel guilty for driving or building anything that isn't GREEN. (now if the next congressional election tosses up the power in D.C. maybe things could change but I doubt it.)

Last edited by christianjax; 02-17-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:03 PM

Guys you are forgetting the seats in this car probably weigh a ton. They have the airbags in them and are powered. Lose those and I bet you could save an easy 70 pounds with some lightweight seats. The exhaust on this car looks very heavy. I am sure their is another 30 pounds to save in there. Like said earlier carbon Fiber half shafts and driveshafts would also save some weight and in the right places.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by TOO Z MAXX
Guys you are forgetting the seats in this car probably weigh a ton. They have the airbags in them and are powered. Lose those and I bet you could save an easy 70 pounds with some lightweight seats. The exhaust on this car looks very heavy. I am sure their is another 30 pounds to save in there. Like said earlier carbon Fiber half shafts and driveshafts would also save some weight and in the right places.
I would not recommend deleting a safety device from a vehicle which is meant to operate on public roads.

There are lightweight seats which are available for "off road" vehicles.

There are weight saving materials which can be substituted on a vehicle in the area of body panel construction if consistant body gaps under any weather condition are not the most important thing to be considered.

Some of the most positive payoff weight reductions in a vehicle are the unsprung weight. This also include reducing the mass' distance from the rotational center point.

Last edited by 1fastdog; 02-17-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:48 PM

I still say I'd buy it, if and when they build it!
Old 02-17-2009, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
I still say I'd buy it, if and when they build it!

Oh I'm sure, that even if it cost 45k MSRP PLUS Dealer markup they would sell every limited one they built. Economy be damned.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:53 PM

that is exactly what im saying. there is alot of weight that can be removed from the car. you lose alot of comfort but hey its possible. like i said before, as far as the fatory taking some of the weight off, im sure they cant. they have to meet certain requirements. and using thins like carbon fiber all over the car instead of sheet metal will just jack the price up. but my point is, there is alot of weight saving things that can be done, on a persons own to shed alot of weight. any moving part that gets a weight reduction will help increase the power of the car.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by christianjax
Oh I'm sure, that even if it cost 45k MSRP PLUS Dealer markup they would sell every limited one they built. Economy be damned.
im sure they would sell out as soon as they were found to be able to be ordered. they wouldnt even hit the showroom floors before they sold out.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by 1fastdog
I would not recommend deleting a safety device from a vehicle which is meant to operate on public roads.

There are lightweight seats which are available for "off road" vehicles.

There are weight saving materials which can be substituted on a vehicle in the area of body panel construction if consistant body gaps under any weather condition are not the most important thing to be considered.

Some of the most positive payoff weight reductions in a vehicle are the unsprung weight. This also include reducing the mass' distance from the rotational center point.
Removing the side airbags which are in the seats would be a slight gamble, but none of my vehicles I own have them, and I dont think they are required by law, so why not take them out. Or make them optional. If the law requires them then this all a mute point.
Why not make the seats available for onroad use that are the same weight. I bet a carbon fiber sparco seat is better built than the stock ones anyhow.
I think changing body panels wouldnt gain much weight reduction.
Look under the new camaro and check out the exhaust. that thing is heavy.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:16 PM

they could just give the interior a stripped down version. no power seats,mirrors,windoes,locks. i knwo that on the subaru wrx sti didnt even have a radio. you could make radios an option. lighten up the seats. hell yeah. this is very possible.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
they could just give the interior a stripped down version. no power seats,mirrors,windoes,locks. i knwo that on the subaru wrx sti didnt even have a radio. you could make radios an option. lighten up the seats. hell yeah. this is very possible.
The problem with that theory is that the target buyers don't want a stripped down version. Basically I want a loaded 2SS with a supercharged V8. I can give a ratsass how much it weighs.

Last edited by jg95z28; 02-17-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:27 PM

well then.
i guess they cant please everyone. because what if they were to make a z28 like this or what if they were to make a z28 like you say? keep if the same weight and just throw in a ls8 or 9. either way, not everyone is going to be happy. if i were to want a z28 to be built, i think i would buy it anyways. no matter what engine/ weight combo it had. i just want a hi - po camaro. but what might be better for me without really voiding any powertrain warranties, just yet, would be for me to slim it down as much as i can to get some significant power to weight ratios.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:47 PM

I figure this much... as the hood is already aluminum, there isn't much way to lighten up the front end except by using exotic and expensive parts. (Carbon fiber, etc.) I still argue with those that say the LSA would be hundreds of pounds more than the LS3. (We've yet to see real numbers on the mass of the complete engine assemblies.) Therefore, seeing a performance increase between ~125-150hp over the LS3/L99 package, I'd surely sacrifice the little added weight.

In a perfect world GM could merely use the already developed LS376/480 crate motor which virtually adds no weight over the LS3 yet pumps out almost 500hp. But then they'd have to certify it for production, which could delay it more, and simply saying it has 50+ more hp over the LS3 may not be enough to justify its existance without adding forced induction.

I guess they could always offer a drag package like Ford and Chrysler are doing and use whatever engine they want. But then we wouldn't get to drive it on the street.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:48 PM

Carbon fiber hood and deck lid could save 40lbs, even over aluminum. I know a lot of 4th gen guys that replaced the hood
Cut out some sound proofing, another 30-40lbs, and maybe some other things, 150lbs should be easy to pull otu of the car.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:09 PM

I don't know, a lot of the after market hoods for the new Mustangs are heavier than the stock aluminum one, and even a full carbon fiber one only saves 5-10lbs.

Quick Reply: Is there a light at the end of the Z28 tunnel?