2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Surprised this hasn't hit here yet...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 10:38 AM

t-tops simply arent going to happen, no sense arguing about it... it's a safety standards thing... no place for curtain airbags... and yeah.. a t-top car not qualify for the exceptions that convertables get

i love t-tops, i'd get em in a heartbeat.. but i've accepted that it just is not going to happen
Old 05-05-2007, 10:48 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by FS3800
t-tops simply arent going to happen, no sense arguing about it... it's a safety standards thing... no place for curtain airbags... and yeah.. a t-top car not qualify for the exceptions that convertables get
Amen to that, brother. Sucks but is the truth.

i love t-tops, i'd get em in a heartbeat.. but i've accepted that it just is not going to happen
Same here. I am also expecting that rear windows to be fixed. I don't want to expect them to roll down and then be disappointed that they won't. The ol' "don't expect too much and you won't get let down" is important with this car.

But since T-tops won't happen, I considered the idea of a factory installed sunroof. However, that would in theory make the roofline change. Given the choice of getting a factory installed sunroof and losing the cool rooflines, I will skip the sunroof and keep the rooflines.

If the sunroof is one of those panoramic ones like on the G6, it will make that a hard decision, though.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:07 AM

isn't the camaro like the mustang in that the actually support for the roof is run along the edges? that in and of itself defeats the argument for t-tops.
as far as sunroofs go, I can imagine it lookin pretty good if it still has a metal cover, and not a total glass passthrough. that way you could keep the center channel continuous when its closed
Old 05-05-2007, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Silverado C-10
I think it will be a roll down window for just that reason. I don't think there are plans for a challenger rag top (none that I've heard) and it would be kind of dumb if GM has to engineer a roll down window for the convertable (which will be a relatively low volume car) and not put it on the hardtops. It makes more financial sense to have it across the board for the Camaros. Who know, I could be wrong
This is what I'm thinking....

So if the window mechanism will be engineered for the vert, what is stopping it from going on the hardtop?

Last edited by stars1010; 05-06-2007 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:27 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by stars1010
So if the window mechanism will be engineered for the vert, what is stopping it from going on the hardtop?
The only thing I can think of is that it will provide necessary support for a steel roof versus a cloth one? Just a thought.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by VladimirSteel
wtf why wouldnt it be factory, chevrolet offers it on all of their other cars dont they? The only one i can think of that might not have one would be the aveo, but it might even have one as an option. Im gonna be pissed if there isnt a FACTORY installed sunroof offered for these cars, not having any kind of open roof right now is killing me.
The Aveo has an optional sunroof. My '05 has one...
Old 05-05-2007, 04:36 PM

Scott Could you please give us one of your carefully worded nuggets of wisdom that would give us some insite on yours or Chevys veiw on the rear windows.

Things are getting harsh at Cheers and Gears and a informed opinion would really help.

Many of us have laid out the facts of weight and cost and warned it is possible the windows may be fixed with a B pillar. The truth is the car may still be a true hard top but until we see the car it could go either way.

Most of us it is not a deal breaker and we understand if it could not be done but to some they would not consider buying the car just because of the B pillar.

I know you can't give it all away but could you post here or over there some insight into what is involved into deciding on what to do or not to do the hardtop idea.

Something like "would having a Convtible, help or make a hardtop more likely or not real effect it"?

If you could give us your best Scottisam or at least your personel view on this is would be great.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
I dont believe most people perfer leaky T-Tops that take up most your trunk space and you have to pull over to put them back in when its raining. At any rate, thank God for crash standards!

I think a sunroof option is likely if there is demand for it.
Consider the Poll over on Camaro5.com-

Coupe 12 30.77%
Convertible 3 7.69%
Hard Top Convertible 9 23.08%
T-Tops 16 41.03%
Removable Roof Panel (like on the vette) 8 20.51%

Sunroof option was forgotten in the poll, and there has been a few requests for it. Judging by at least this one small poll of Camaro fans the TTop/Removable Roof Panel(and Sunroof) DOES outweigh the 'No TTops' crowd.

And I know MANY people who love TTops that aren't on these sites. Far more than those that dislike them.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:46 PM

I would actually prefer a sunroof over T-Tops. It's much easier to push a button if its raining out compared to pulling over.

The only thing I dont like about the small roof line effect, much like the charger/magnum is that people who are atleast 6' tall makes it really hard to drive with the small front window. I adjusted the seat all the way back, tilted the seat as far back as I could just so I wasnt leaning down the whole time driving. I havent sat in the new camaro yet so I will just wait to see.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by EllwynX
Consider the Poll over on Camaro5.com-

Coupe 12 30.77%
Convertible 3 7.69%
Hard Top Convertible 9 23.08%
T-Tops 16 41.03%
Removable Roof Panel (like on the vette) 8 20.51%

Sunroof option was forgotten in the poll, and there has been a few requests for it. Judging by at least this one small poll of Camaro fans the TTop/Removable Roof Panel(and Sunroof) DOES outweigh the 'No TTops' crowd.

And I know MANY people who love TTops that aren't on these sites. Far more than those that dislike them.

Were supposed to take seriously a poll where T-Tops are higher % than Convertable?
Old 05-08-2007, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
Were supposed to take seriously a poll where T-Tops are higher % than Convertable?
Since the vast majority of 4th gen cars had t-tops, and not many verts, yes, I would say that is the way it is.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by ROADRAGE
Since the vast majority of 4th gen cars had t-tops, and not many verts, yes, I would say that is the way it is.
But from Camaro5.com? Seriously?
Old 05-08-2007, 11:48 AM

Sadly, I kinda hope the car DOES have a B-pillar. My dad had a '67 Camaro convertible.. and let me just say.. I would never really want to own a car that has two windows that meet up together. Over time, those things will NOT meet up correctly.. causing leaks and making it SO much easier to break into.

I'd rather have leaky t-tops over leaky double-windows.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by MasterEvilAce
Sadly, I kinda hope the car DOES have a B-pillar. My dad had a '67 Camaro convertible.. and let me just say.. I would never really want to own a car that has two windows that meet up together. Over time, those things will NOT meet up correctly.. causing leaks and making it SO much easier to break into.

I'd rather have leaky t-tops over leaky double-windows.
Come on now, you really don't think that after 40 years they can't improve upon the design? Yes, first gen Camaros leak, however the seal between the windows and rear quarter windows is not the worst location.

In fact, I'll do you one better. My 1995 Z/28 with t-tops leaks between the window/t-top seal more than either of my 1967 Camaros leak between the window and the rear quarter windows. Every time I wash my Z/28, I need to wipe water off my leather seats.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:10 PM

ok.. well i was thinking.. the convertable is going to have windows back there which can be lowered right?.. so the engineering for having those windows is there.. the motors are there, etc... so how hard could it be to put em in the coupe too?

Quick Reply: Surprised this hasn't hit here yet...