2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Surprised this hasn't hit here yet...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 09:35 PM

It seems to me that T-Tops or a targa are doubtful. But for the T-Top haters:
Originally Posted by EllwynX
I don't understand the strength which some people state there should be no TTops because it will 'look like crap'.

It's a very simple problem to solve. Don't buy you're Camaro with TTops.

Yup .......VERY easy to solve!
Old 05-04-2007, 04:11 AM

On the Z06, how much did its roof help?
Crash standards?
Chassis stiffness?

Old 05-04-2007, 06:06 AM

Scott has said this car will handle and handle very well. This being the case and styling not really condusive for T tops I would not hold my breath.

Heck for years we cried for a Convetible so just enjoy it. It will be a great car

This is coming from a owner of a T top car.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:49 AM

That is, of course, a matter of opinion.

I've seen some renderings of the 5th Gen with TTops that looks great (imo).

I don't understand the strength which some people state there should be no TTops because it will 'look like crap'.

There are a lot of people who think a convertible top makes a car 'look like crap', of which I am one, but none of us cry out for there to be no convertible version because we don't like it.

To each his own. One person can purchase their coupe, someone else purchase their convertible with it's ruined lines, and I will purchase the TTops that _I_ like.

(I understand they are saying TTops are doubtful, but this whole post was to make a point irregardless.)

So I say, put the B-Pillar in and bring on the TTops!!!

But if there can't be TTops then that rear window had BETTER roll down, and it had best have a VERY LARGE sunroof. (Hmmm.. Didn't mean to sound so demanding.)
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion....I think that the 5th gen would look just plain wrong with T-tops. I own a T-top 4th gen Camaro, and I love them, I take the tops off every chance I get. I just don't think that they belong on the 5th gen.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by skorpion317
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion....I think that the 5th gen would look just plain wrong with T-tops. I own a T-top 4th gen Camaro, and I love them, I take the tops off every chance I get. I just don't think that they belong on the 5th gen.
Ditto!

Anyone who has seen the concept in person and the contours of the roofline should understand that to reproduce them in production AND offer t-tops, would come at a price. Personally its damn sexy as it is. As much as t-tops are cool, I just don't think they fit the look of the 5th gen.

I hope to God there is no B-pillar. Rear quarter windows that don't roll down are just plain stupid imho. However, it won't prevent me from buying one.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Doug Harden
Wouldn't suprise me..........not even a little bit....

Saves money, saves weight.....still sux though.
X 3 I love roll down 1/4 windows.

That is, of course, a matter of opinion.

I've seen some renderings of the 5th Gen with TTops that looks great (imo).

Ok fine. For sake of arguement if you get your car without T-Tops and I get mine without, do I get your crappy B pillars and fixed windows forced on me? Do they engineer both, or am I stuck with a fixed roof and no roll down 1/4 windows?

So I say, put the B-Pillar in and bring on the TTops!!!

But if there can't be TTops then that rear window had BETTER roll down, and it had best have a VERY LARGE sunroof. (Hmmm.. Didn't mean to sound so demanding.)
I agree with them rolling down. Having them at the flick of a switch would be sweet! Especially for those of us that had 1st gens. Ours werent only manual, they needed "help". Well worth it though. I love sun roofs but in this case I dont think Im willing to give up the roof lines.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
Ok fine. For sake of arguement if you get your car without T-Tops and I get mine without, do I get your crappy B pillars and fixed windows forced on me? Do they engineer both, or am I stuck with a fixed roof and no roll down 1/4 windows?
If engineering 2 different windows wasn't possible (and I understand it wouldn't be feasible) it would, unfortunately for your side, be a matter of 'majority rules'. And from what I have read/heard the desire for TTops or a Targa style roof outweighs the 'No TTops' side.

I agree with them rolling down. Having them at the flick of a switch would be sweet! Especially for those of us that had 1st gens. Ours werent only manual, they needed "help". Well worth it though. I love sun roofs but in this case I dont think Im willing to give up the roof lines.
This is another point. The no TTops group talk about how it will ruin the lines on the roof. Yet some who say TTops would look bad are pro-sunroof. The sunroof will affect the rooflines just as much as the TTops.

A sunroof is one of the most popular options on a car today, Chevy would be foolish not to offer at least a sunroof. That would mean the lines go away regardless. Personally the lines on the roof aren't that important to me and don't lend THAT much to it's good looks. While lack of TTops won't affect my decision to purchase a Camaro, lack of a sunroof may (MAY, not definitely would).

The Camaro has to appeal to the masses, not just the hardcore fans.

And the masses do like their sunroof...
Old 05-04-2007, 08:03 PM

If engineering 2 different windows wasn't possible (and I understand it wouldn't be feasible) it would, unfortunately for your side, be a matter of 'majority rules'. And from what I have read/heard the desire for TTops or a Targa style roof outweighs the 'No TTops' side.
I dont believe most people perfer leaky T-Tops that take up most your trunk space and you have to pull over to put them back in when its raining. At any rate, thank God for crash standards!

This is another point. The no TTops group talk about how it will ruin the lines on the roof. Yet some who say TTops would look bad are pro-sunroof. The sunroof will affect the rooflines just as much as the TTops.

A sunroof is one of the most popular options on a car today, Chevy would be foolish not to offer at least a sunroof. That would mean the lines go away regardless. Personally the lines on the roof aren't that important to me and don't lend THAT much to it's good looks. While lack of TTops won't affect my decision to purchase a Camaro, lack of a sunroof may (MAY, not definitely would).

The Camaro has to appeal to the masses, not just the hardcore fans.

And the masses do like their sunroof...
I think a sunroof option is likely if there is demand for it.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:00 PM

A sun roof is a viable option if demand is there. Heck even the new trucks have a roof option now.

As for the T roof I just don't see it in the cars with this generation of Camaro. With a convertible in the pipe line there really is little need for a T roof.

The Mustang sales have not been hurt just by offering a coupe and convertible.

If a 6th gen Camaro comes along it may have heritage lines of the second gen and a reintro of the T top may be a good retro option then with the new Hydrogen cell.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:04 PM

I think a sunroof option is likely if there is demand for it.
It won't be factory, but a dealer installed aftermarket item.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:17 PM

Which probably means we're limited to the standard cheesy three square foot rectangular hole that has been around as a long as I can remember.

Sigh.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
It won't be factory, but a dealer installed aftermarket item.
wtf why wouldnt it be factory, chevrolet offers it on all of their other cars dont they? The only one i can think of that might not have one would be the aveo, but it might even have one as an option. Im gonna be pissed if there isnt a FACTORY installed sunroof offered for these cars, not having any kind of open roof right now is killing me.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
It won't be factory
I wouldnt count on that
Old 05-05-2007, 07:54 AM

If the roof is like the Concept they would have to deal with the ridges.

They would need a different roof if the sun roof is ordered.

IF it is something they can do and retain the cost I sure we will see one. If not the right away but for sure by the second year.

Again this is something cost will be a factor in. Also I suspect this may be one of the questions the focus group will be asked.

Just keep in mind when we see the first production car it will only be a new clean canvas and will see many changes in the coming years.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:31 AM

I'm tired of hearing people say, "I've seen renderings of the concept with t-tops and it looks good". Renderings and photochops are just that... artwork. Engineering them into a production car is a different animal altogether. If you put t-tops on the 2009 Camaro, its going to make the car cost more for everyone... even those that don't select that option because the car would have to be designed for them regardless. That will also require some sort of sacrifice elsewhere... which in this case, might mean B-pillars. If I get stuck with B-pillars and rear windows that don't roll down just because a handful of people want t-tops, I will be quite upset.

Personally, I don't think t-tops fit the image of "this" Camaro. If I'm forced down this path though, GM had better offer the top dog in a convertible for those of us that hate b-pillars.

Quick Reply: Surprised this hasn't hit here yet...