2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Surprised this hasn't hit here yet...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 07:21 AM

Surprised this hasn't hit here yet...

... But there is a rumor (credible) that Camaro may not end up being a true hardtop in production, that it may have a B pillar and fixed rear side windows.

So, your thoughts?
Old 05-03-2007, 07:23 AM

Like the Challenger is??

Hmmm, guess we'll have to wait and see?? (again ... still )

I hope that's not the case though!
Old 05-03-2007, 07:51 AM

This has actually been a long ongoing rumor.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:56 AM
Prominent Member

Wouldn't suprise me..........not even a little bit....

Saves money, saves weight.....still sux though.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:23 AM
Disciple

Originally Posted by Doug Harden
Wouldn't suprise me..........not even a little bit....

Saves money, saves weight.....still sux though.
x2.

I'm more interested in seeing what they do with that window on the convertible.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by poSSum
x2.

I'm more interested in seeing what they do with that window on the convertible.
I think it will be a roll down window for just that reason. I don't think there are plans for a challenger rag top (none that I've heard) and it would be kind of dumb if GM has to engineer a roll down window for the convertable (which will be a relatively low volume car) and not put it on the hardtops. It makes more financial sense to have it across the board for the Camaros. Who know, I could be wrong
Old 05-03-2007, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Silverado C-10
I think it will be a roll down window for just that reason. I don't think there are plans for a challenger rag top (none that I've heard) and it would be kind of dumb if GM has to engineer a roll down window for the convertable (which will be a relatively low volume car) and not put it on the hardtops. It makes more financial sense to have it across the board for the Camaros. Who know, I could be wrong
I don't know. There are quite a few coupes with fixed rear windows where the rear windows goes down on the convertible. I had a '97 Cavalier convertible and the rear windows went up and down with the top (no manual controls) while the coupes had fixed rear windows. New Beetle convertible has rear windows that go up and down while the coupe does not. You're typically doing quite a bit of reengineering when dealing with a convertible, anyway (heck, PT Cruiser loses two DOORS!).

Don't get me wrong, I want Camaro to be a true hardtop, but I don't think the availability of a convertible precludes the possibility that the coupe could have a B pillar, since a 'vert will require substantial engineering anyway.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:11 AM

Wasn't the lack of a B pillar the reason people were saying the car could not accomodate t-tops?
Old 05-03-2007, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Hoodshaker
Wasn't the lack of a B pillar the reason people were saying the car could not accomodate t-tops?
I know its not gonna happen, but I'd love to see T-Tops, I really love having them.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by CaminoLS6
... But there is a rumor (credible) that Camaro may not end up being a true hardtop in production, that it may have a B pillar and fixed rear side windows.

So, your thoughts?

I'd prefer it that way. Bring on the t-tops
Old 05-03-2007, 03:01 PM

Sure, bring on the T-tops.....if you want the car to look like crap.

Leave the T-tops for the 2nd through 4th gens. It won't look right on the 5th gens, just as it wouldn't on a 1st gen.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:28 PM
Prominent Member

How do you achieve a 5 star crash test with T-Tops?

Side air-bags would be impossible.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Eric77TA
I don't know. There are quite a few coupes with fixed rear windows where the rear windows goes down on the convertible. I had a '97 Cavalier convertible and the rear windows went up and down with the top (no manual controls) while the coupes had fixed rear windows. New Beetle convertible has rear windows that go up and down while the coupe does not. You're typically doing quite a bit of reengineering when dealing with a convertible, anyway (heck, PT Cruiser loses two DOORS!).

Don't get me wrong, I want Camaro to be a true hardtop, but I don't think the availability of a convertible precludes the possibility that the coupe could have a B pillar, since a 'vert will require substantial engineering anyway.
Very good points, and I may be mistaken on this, but aren't the bugs and PT cruiser's ragtops aftermarket conversions that are sold on dealer lots? I think the Cavaliers were they same, were they not? The Camaro (as well as the mustang) are/will be factory ragtops. Again, I may be mistaken on the aftermarket part.

Given the style of the new camaro, the fact that GM was going for a modernized first gen look, it would be wrong to not make the windows roll down and not have a B pillar. I used to own an 86 Z28 and a friend has a 2000 trans am I've driven quite a bit, both only have the b-pillar with rear hatches... horrible blind spots. This could be remidied with rear windows with no pillar (or a very slim one.)

Basically I'm hoping for rear roll down windows, but they wouldn't be a necessity, nor a deal killer for me buying an '09 camaro.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:55 PM

Well no one here but for one person really knows what it is going look like in production. So we will just have to wait.

But there is a chance it will have a pillar. I considered this from the start. Weight and price are the leading factors on this car with one effecting the other.

Matter of fact price it a major point on this car so I would say everything and anything is on the table.

Chevys goal is to give us a great performing car at a affordable price. That being the case sometimes you don't always get all the little extras you might want.

The bottom line is if the pillar [that is if it's used I expect it will be will toned down] is used it will not be a deal breaker for most that really would buy this car. If it is I would expect you really were not that set on buying one to begin with.

This car need to be competitve price wise with the Mustang but still be the better car. If it takes a pillar so be it, if it does not get a pillar bring it on.

Price has been critical on this car and Scott has pointed this out fromt he start. This is not a $100,000 car that give you a lot of car for a lot of money. This is a car that gives you a lot of car for what little your going to pay.

At this point till we know if it will or will not have a pillar I would not get too excited. Once we do know and it is there deal with it as the litttle things like that add up to the fact we have the Camaro vs just a concept in the GM Heritage collection representing what could have been.

I would be glad to have a pillar on my new Camaro vs none at all.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by skorpion317
Sure, bring on the T-tops.....if you want the car to look like crap.

Leave the T-tops for the 2nd through 4th gens. It won't look right on the 5th gens, just as it wouldn't on a 1st gen.
That is, of course, a matter of opinion.

I've seen some renderings of the 5th Gen with TTops that looks great (imo).

I don't understand the strength which some people state there should be no TTops because it will 'look like crap'.

It's a very simple problem to solve. Don't buy you're Camaro with TTops.

There are a lot of people who think a convertible top makes a car 'look like crap', of which I am one, but none of us cry out for there to be no convertible version because we don't like it.

To each his own. One person can purchase their coupe, someone else purchase their convertible with it's ruined lines, and I will purchase the TTops that _I_ like.

(I understand they are saying TTops are doubtful, but this whole post was to make a point irregardless.)

So I say, put the B-Pillar in and bring on the TTops!!!

But if there can't be TTops then that rear window had BETTER roll down, and it had best have a VERY LARGE sunroof. (Hmmm.. Didn't mean to sound so demanding.)

Quick Reply: Surprised this hasn't hit here yet...