2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So, when can I sit in one? (Seattle, WA)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 03:03 PM

So, when can I sit in one? (Seattle, WA)

Browsing the stickies, I didn't see what I thought I heard was the promise that a Camaro was going to be made available to every Chevy dealership for display. Maybe I missed it. Is it even true? Am I imagining things?

If its true, is there a time estimate now that cars are in production, when we might start seeing them here on the West Coast? I'd love to see one in person--to sit in it at least, even if its on a showroom floor.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

I heard about that too. I don't know if it's true, and I'm curious as well. I'd like very much not to have to wait several months before sample vehicles start showing up in local dealerships, but with 14,000 preorders and GM's current financial situation, I think GM should prioritize building the cars that will generate immediate income. 14,000 cars * $30,000 estimated average invoice = $420 million dollars!
Old 03-16-2009, 05:24 PM

With the way dealers are up here I wouldn't count on being allowed to even sit in one unless your writing a check. I plan to pull up in the Z and come across as a really interested buyer in order to convince them to let me get in and maybe drive it.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Northwest94Z
With the way dealers are up here I wouldn't count on being allowed to even sit in one unless your writing a check. I plan to pull up in the Z and come across as a really interested buyer in order to convince them to let me get in and maybe drive it.
My understanding is that GM's plan was to seed V6 cars to dealers specifically so that people could get in and drive them, avoiding the situation you describe.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
My understanding is that GM's plan was to seed V6 cars to dealers specifically so that people could get in and drive them, avoiding the situation you describe.
Understood, but unfortunately my experience with dealers up here over the last 15 years have not been good. Maybe the economic times will loosen dealers willingness to let people test drive the first few 5th gens that arrive although i expect to see plenty of "Adjusted Market Value" stickers attached to windshields in the 10k+ range which translates into, "No you cannot test drive this car unless you pull your checkbook out first". Happened with the 4th gens, the C5, the C5 Z06, GTO, C6, C6 Z06, Solstice GXP, H2 etc...
Old 03-17-2009, 12:09 AM

Understood, but unfortunately my experience with dealers up here over the last 15 years have not been good. Maybe the economic times will loosen dealers willingness to let people test drive the first few 5th gens that arrive although i expect to see plenty of "Adjusted Market Value" stickers attached to windshields in the 10k+ range which translates into, "No you cannot test drive this car unless you pull your checkbook out first". Happened with the 4th gens, the C5, the C5 Z06, GTO, C6, C6 Z06, Solstice GXP, H2 etc...
Yes. Camaros I don't think were ever a hot-seller in the Northwest. When dealers got really nice/loaded ones in, it seemed sporadic at best. And they loved to hang on to them, posting outrageous 2nd stickers.

I do remember that beautiful summer of 2002 working at Lithia Chevrolet of Bellevue (bought and sold twice+ now) when I prepped the last 2002 Z28 I saw that summer. It was Navy Blue Metallic, had cloth interior. Few options, but it did have an automatic. I was in college at the time, wishing I could have bought that car. Around the same time, one of the lot attendants was getting ready to unload an '89 Iroc Z Convertible. It had around 50k, was red...absolutely beautiful shape.

I'm getting excited again though--just not sure how hard I'm going to have to pry to test out a new one
Old 03-17-2009, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by 97QuasarBlue3.8
Yes. Camaros I don't think were ever a hot-seller in the Northwest. When dealers got really nice/loaded ones in, it seemed sporadic at best. And they loved to hang on to them, posting outrageous 2nd stickers.

I do remember that beautiful summer of 2002 working at Lithia Chevrolet of Bellevue (bought and sold twice+ now) when I prepped the last 2002 Z28 I saw that summer. It was Navy Blue Metallic, had cloth interior. Few options, but it did have an automatic. I was in college at the time, wishing I could have bought that car. Around the same time, one of the lot attendants was getting ready to unload an '89 Iroc Z Convertible. It had around 50k, was red...absolutely beautiful shape.

I'm getting excited again though--just not sure how hard I'm going to have to pry to test out a new one
Small world. I know that dealership so well it's not even funny. I had to stop going by there back in the mid to late 90's because they all new me as a tire kicker. Had my 94 Z rebuilt there when I wrecked it and bought my first Corvette there, a 2002 EB Z06. Always priced their cars higher than everyone else and I reported them to GM for poor customer service in their Service Dept. because of one service writer in particular that went on to become the service manager.

Think I might know where that Iroc went. Will try to confirm where the one I know was bought.

I'll let you know how it goes when the 5th gens start hitting local lots. If I get lucky I'll pass the dealership name on to you.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:29 AM

Small world. I know that dealership so well it's not even funny. I had to stop going by there back in the mid to late 90's because they all new me as a tire kicker. Had my 94 Z rebuilt there when I wrecked it and bought my first Corvette there, a 2002 EB Z06. Always priced their cars higher than everyone else and I reported them to GM for poor customer service in their Service Dept. because of one service writer in particular that went on to become the service manager.

Think I might know where that Iroc went. Will try to confirm where the one I know was bought.

I'll let you know how it goes when the 5th gens start hitting local lots. If I get lucky I'll pass the dealership name on to you.
Interesting Did the service manager happen to have a black Z28? (I think it was a Z, might have been an SS though)
Old 03-17-2009, 12:57 AM

Even smaller world. When I was 18 in 1989 I wanted to drive Corvettes so I got a job there as a lot attendant at the end of my senior year of high school and worked there a couple of summers and winters. Great owners then. I got to drive lots of Camaros and Corvettes.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:44 AM

Interesting Did the service manager happen to have a black Z28? (I think it was a Z, might have been an SS though)
As a matter of fact while denying me warranty work for a infamous vibrating steel driveshaft problem he informed me that he had a Camaro (think it was a Z) and that his did the same thing so I should learn to live with it and besides I had no business doing 65 mph (that's where the vibration showed up). His name started with an L and ended with an E.

Went to Kirkland Pontiac who bent over backwards to take care of me. Only GM dealer i trust to this day for warranty work even though they have changed hands also, and in fact also own Bellevue Chevrolet today if I remember correctly.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by rushdriven
Even smaller world. When I was 18 in 1989 I wanted to drive Corvettes so I got a job there as a lot attendant at the end of my senior year of high school and worked there a couple of summers and winters. Great owners then. I got to drive lots of Camaros and Corvettes.
Nice. Hey your avatar isn't by any chance a pic of you at the exotics at Redmond Town Center gatherings that happen every Sat. morning is it?
Old 03-17-2009, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

As a matter of fact while denying me warranty work for a infamous vibrating steel driveshaft problem he informed me that he had a Camaro (think it was a Z) and that his did the same thing so I should learn to live with it and besides I had no business doing 65 mph (that's where the vibration showed up).
Sounds like a jerk to me.

Why did he think you had no business doing 65mph?
Old 03-17-2009, 09:22 AM

Browsing the stickies, I didn't see what I thought I heard was the promise that a Camaro was going to be made available to every Chevy dealership for display. Maybe I missed it. Is it even true? Am I imagining things?

If its true, is there a time estimate now that cars are in production, when we might start seeing them here on the West Coast? I'd love to see one in person--to sit in it at least, even if its on a showroom floor.
Back to the original topic...

Yes, first week of April (forget the exact date) every chevy dealer in the country will have atleast 1 camaro for people to come and check out. Our regional manager showed up yesterday and gave us a few updates on it

Also, for those of you with orders out or wanting one, shipping opens up on the 23rd, so be on the look out!

Other things we found out yesterday:

hurst shifters and stripe kits will be factory options, not dealer installed as originally reported. they will be available at dealers for those who ordered without. shifters will be available thru factory in about a month.

cyber gray, white, and I believe imperial blue, are not available for initial production, but will be available in 4-8 weeks.

Some good news: despite pre-orders being waaaaay off what GM forcasted as far as % of SS orders, the early ordering system allowed for the forcast to be corrected, and all the parts to be stocked in before production began.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Solo II
Back to the original topic...

Yes, first week of April (forget the exact date) every chevy dealer in the country will have atleast 1 camaro for people to come and check out. Our regional manager showed up yesterday and gave us a few updates on it

Also, for those of you with orders out or wanting one, shipping opens up on the 23rd, so be on the look out!

Other things we found out yesterday:

hurst shifters and stripe kits will be factory options, not dealer installed as originally reported. they will be available at dealers for those who ordered without. shifters will be available thru factory in about a month.

cyber gray, white, and I believe imperial blue, are not available for initial production, but will be available in 4-8 weeks.

Some good news: despite pre-orders being waaaaay off what GM forcasted as far as % of SS orders, the early ordering system allowed for the forcast to be corrected, and all the parts to be stocked in before production began.

I thought it was rumored to be the first week of May for all dealers to have at least the 1 "demo" Camaro?
Old 03-17-2009, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Sounds like a jerk to me.

Why did he think you had no business doing 65mph?
Speed limit back then was 55 mph in WA state.

Took a tech in the car for a ride and even confirmed the vibration existed. Still wouldn't fix it. The other dealer called me 2 hours after dropping it off and said yup we've identified it and you will have it fixed with a 1LE aluminum driveshaft by the end of the day. Real customer service.

Quick Reply: So, when can I sit in one? (Seattle, WA)