2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP involvement

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 01:08 AM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Re: SLP involvement

Originally Posted by RoMaD
I hope that at least 275's will be available for the car. As for SLP, I'm glad they are gone too. I really didn't see the need for them and neither did GM apparently. GM was making all the SS models themselves by the 2002 (and earlier if I'm not mistaken).
Not true. We simply brought the 'stock' part of the program in-house in the 98 model year......but SLP still offered a lot of 'second sticker' content ....some were appearance items (chromed wheels, new grille insert) and some were performance (dual-dual exhaust, airbox)

I've always said that SLP was a product planner's dream come true. The team could go to them and ask for things that funding was not available for conventionally.

I don't believe the SS would have seen the light of day had it not been for SLP.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:13 AM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Originally Posted by WERM
The whole SLP ss was pretty stupid. I don't care if they defined it or GM defined it. SS = what the Z/28 should have been.

The z/28 was so plain and dowdy, no wonder so many people chose to buy the SS (or not buy a camaro).

OK...now...I don't know how you stand on the "give us more choices" issue...but that seems to be huge in the enthusiast group.

So...................we gave you more choices.........and we were wrong to do so?

I don't understand your line of thinking.

The Z28 was a great performing car....handled extremely well...but had great ride compliance. (the handling was not as great as the SS)

So........the SS gets some power enhancements.....and a killer handling package.......and then SLP also offers all kinds of second sticker options to AGAIN allow the customer to tailor his or her Camaro/Firebird........and that's not good?

*shakes head in confusion*
Old 12-11-2005, 01:15 AM

Now wouldn't that have just been a shame if we didn't get the SS?

What he's trying to say is that the SS became what should have been the Z28's definition, what it should have been in the first place. Instead, all throughout the 4th Gen the Z28 looked like a V6 car. The roles then got reversed, the SS took away from the Z28 in looks and in performance slightly, making it seem like a lousy, undesirable, boring, mid-model, even moreso. Then on SPEED they felt it was fine to give SLP the credit for bringing back the musclecar with the SS, as they put it. (which was ridiculous) This is how most people feel about and see that whole situation. Neither model was what they should have been, it seemed like a way to take advantage of marketing by bringing back a designation. ALOT of people call for the Z28's return to greatness at the top and for the SS to take it's place as a broad performance Camaro again for a reason.

Last edited by IZ28; 12-11-2005 at 01:59 AM.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:19 AM

as far as any future "performance" vehicles, is GMPD gonna take care of them in-house or will there be outside involvement?
Old 12-11-2005, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Red Planet
OK...now...I don't know how you stand on the "give us more choices" issue...but that seems to be huge in the enthusiast group.

So...................we gave you more choices.........and we were wrong to do so?

The Z28 was a great performing car....handled extremely well...but had great ride compliance. (the handling was not as great as the SS)

So........the SS gets some power enhancements.....and a killer handling package.......and then SLP also offers all kinds of second sticker options to AGAIN allow the customer to tailor his or her Camaro/Firebird........and that's not good?

I think he means that the SS got things that traditionally made a Z/28, a Z/28, ie., wheels/tires, suspension upgrades and hoodscoop. At the same time, these features were restricted from availability on a Z/28 badged car.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:34 AM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

(ohdeargodjustkillmenow..........)

OK.........

Let's go down this road one last time.

So.........

GM develops the 4th gen.

The 'ultimate' Camaro in 1993-1995 is a Z28.

SLP comes along and says to us.......we'd like to take the Camaro to the next level.

so......DURING the 1996 model year.......they introduce the SS package AS A SECOND STICKER PROGRAM.

Now........are you telling me that mid-year we should suddenly switch nameplates?

(insert your answer here, please)

(still with me?)

OK....now, let's look at facts.

The SS came out in 1996........and even in 2002, many dealers and enthusiasts STILL did not know how to order an SS. I was constantly bombarded with letters and emails from people and dealers who wanted to order an SS with second sticker equipment (1998 on) and could not figure it out.

So........you want us to change the nameplate in the middle of a year, huh?

I do agree........that the Z28 was a very special Camaro.

But ladies and gentlemen..........to suddenly switch gears (nameplates) in the middle of a lifecycle would be disasterous.

Now...I "ain't" talkin' about the next gen.

But suffice to say that I've been listening.

And I know that no matter WHAT nameplates we affix to the car, there will be people that are happy and there will be people that are not happy.

My 2 cents?

When someone sez "I drive a Z28"......people know what that is...it's a Camaro!"

When someone sez "I drive an SS".......people know it's a Chevy........but they don't know WHICH Chevy.

Last edited by Fbodfather; 12-11-2005 at 01:36 AM.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:37 AM

(ohdeargodjustkillmenow..........)

OK.........

Let's go down this road one last time.

So.........

GM develops the 4th gen.

The 'ultimate' Camaro in 1993-1995 is a Z28.

SLP comes along and says to us.......we'd like to take the Camaro to the next level.

so......DURING the 1996 model year.......they introduce the SS package AS A SECOND STICKER PROGRAM.

Now........are you telling me that mid-year we should suddenly switch nameplates?

(insert your answer here, please)

(still with me?)

OK....now, let's look at facts.

The SS came out in 1996........and even in 2002, many dealers and enthusiasts STILL did not know how to order an SS. I was constantly bombarded with letters and emails from people and dealers who wanted to order an SS with second sticker equipment (1998 on) and could not figure it out.

So........you want us to change the nameplate in the middle of a year, huh?

I do agree........that the Z28 was a very special Camaro.

But ladies and gentlemen..........to suddenly switch gears (nameplates) in the middle of a lifecycle would be disasterous.

Now...I "ain't" talkin' about the next gen.

But suffice to say that I've been listening.

And I know that no matter WHAT nameplates we affix to the car, there will be people that are happy and there will be people that are not happy.

Let's get the damn thing out first!
What???

Are we making you crazy or something?
Old 12-11-2005, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
What???

Are we making you crazy or something?
be careful Charlie or he might call it a Camaro GT
Old 12-11-2005, 02:40 AM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Originally Posted by turbo96z28
be careful Charlie or he might call it a Camaro GT

WHAT?????

All right, buster......in the corner and stay there until I tell you to come out!!!!

GT??? OMG...I think I'm having a stroke.............
Old 12-11-2005, 03:08 AM

Turbo, if the Fbodfather kicks the bucket before January 8th because of that GT remark, you can count on pretty much everyone from CamaroZ28.com showing up on your doorstep
Old 12-11-2005, 07:08 AM

Okay, I'll try to explain.

"The Z28 was a great performing car....handled extremely well...but had great ride compliance. (the handling was not as great as the SS)"

This is true. Except it (the 1998+ model) had no hood scoop or shape to the hood whatsoever. It was perfectly flat. It also had dinky 16" wheels that had the additional benefit of being ugly. The spoiler was flat and didn't even appear to be functional. Why wouldn't GM have added any of these things to to the regular Z/28? I'm guessing that the incremental cost would have been about zero, with a slight upcharge for the wheels and tires.

So why would'nt GM have done it? Well, if the Z/28 looked cool, it'd be hard to justify a highly profitable $3500 handling package with the same engine and similar styling. In a nutshell, the Z/28 was dumbed down appearance wise to help sell SS's.

Extra choice = Good
Dumbing down the car to make me chose the "Extra Choice" options = Bad

I don't mean to come across as a jerk, but I like to see the z/28 as more than "that model between the high volume V6 cars and profitable SS cars." Any car can be an SS (especially these days). Only a Camaro can be a Z/28.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:03 AM
Admin Emeritus

I may be incorrect, but I believe that I once heard that if SLP had not stepped in and helped sell more Camaros and Firebirds, production would not have gone to 2002 like it did.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:44 AM

WHAT?????

All right, buster......in the corner and stay there until I tell you to come out!!!!

GT??? OMG...I think I'm having a stroke.............

(running...........ducking...............hiding... ...........)

i expect to have to pay for that remark at the New York show?
Old 12-11-2005, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by WERM
Any car can be an SS. Only a Camaro can be a Z/28.
WERM, you should be in marketing! I think we've got a tagline!
Old 12-11-2005, 04:03 PM

Would that hurt perceptions of all the other Chevies though?

Quick Reply: SLP involvement