2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP involvement

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 11:08 AM

Re: SLP involvement

Originally Posted by JoeliusZ28
I agree... I want headers in the trunk when I pick mine up (in all seriousness i know that will never happen)
gm likes to accessorize vehicles now days... there is a lot of money in it...

GMPP will very likely offer things that dont void warranty
Old 12-09-2005, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by I8COBRA
What did SLP do for the Z28? Slapped on a hood, spoiler, shifter, catback and wheels, big deal. The 4th gen SS was a joke, nothing but a prettier Z28.
And yet, thousands of people bought an SS over a Z28...so I guess they're all idiots???

Ever drive an LS1 Firehawk with the Bilstein group? I have...and that car was worth every penny over a normal Trans Am or Formula...let alone the ant-eater WS6. Even Scott would tell you SLP was a major benefit to the 4th gen.

The passing of SLP is sad...not a good thing.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by NewbieWar
GMPP will very likely offer things that dont void warranty
SLP items didn't void warranties either! Any add-ons were warranted by SLP, and serviceable through a GM dealer.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:57 AM

Lets see...

SLP tests on a dyno....
GMPD tests at Nurburing and Lutzring. hrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Ill go with GMPD for the win Alex
Old 12-09-2005, 12:03 PM

Uhm, yeah....

GM has grown a lot in their performance efforts in recent years. It had to. But back in '96, SLP did Camaro enthusiats a favor. In '91, it started doing Firebird enthusiasts a favor. To mock that effort is idiotic...period.

And I have news for you...SLP did a helluva lot more than throw cars on a chassis dyno. I wish Jeff Y was around to explain to the unwashed here what SLP truly did do...
Old 12-09-2005, 03:44 PM

.....and further more SLP only did what they were contracted by GM to do . GM defined the SS and the Firehawks ...set the boundries if u will , SLP designed the packages within GM's parameters . So how does SLP suck ? If you added equal parts to your Z28 to equivilate the SS or Firehawk packages , using NEW parts ....not used , you likely would have spent MORE money than the premium charge for a new SS or firehawk over a Z28 , Formula or Trans Am .

The 2 years SLP developed the Firehawk package on their own were 91 and 92 . Unlike the 4th gens , those were just a bit more than a couple bolt ons and wheels You could opt for a Alumium block 350 with a T-ram intake , 6point roll bar with harnesses , aluminum hood , recaro seats to the already stout for the time Base Firehawk .

Hell back then , SLP did more for the F-bodies than GM did . Including customer appreciation days its still holds , which has now turned into a pretty big yearly event .
Old 12-09-2005, 03:55 PM

refresh me again on the difference between SLP engineering and performance.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:07 PM

engineering = OEM package cars

performance = All their performace parts
Old 12-10-2005, 10:37 AM

Bingo...

Anyway, I am very sad SLP Engineering is gone. I sold 10 Firehawks in '02, compared to 3 WS6s. For the extra $1,000 a base Hawk package cost over a WS6, the additional 20hp alone (claimed, actual, whatever...) was worth the $$...not to mention the awesome hood.

The hood looked better, the exhaust sounded better, and that Bilstein group...wow. I have the shocks on my Z, but not the lowering kit or the reinforced chassis bits. I almost bought the package for $700 when SLP still offered it (it was $1,099 installed on the Hawks, and is now just a $550 package with just the Eibachs and the Bilsteins ), and wish I had. I didn't really want to drop my Z though. But the one ride I took in a black Hawk with the Bilstein group...wow.

A car I want as badly as a 5th gen is a Formula Firehawk with the Bilstein group...I ordered and sold 2 that year (NBM and red), and could have bought either for about $26k...window was about $32,500. What an idiot I was I would have needed a $500 beater to drive every day, and wasn't willing to part with my Z28 and my then-brand-new '02 Grand Am GT to do it
Old 12-10-2005, 11:22 AM

The whole SLP ss was pretty stupid. I don't care if they defined it or GM defined it. SS = what the Z/28 should have been.

The z/28 was so plain and dowdy, no wonder so many people chose to buy the SS (or not buy a camaro).
Old 12-10-2005, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by WERM
The whole SLP ss was pretty stupid. I don't care if they defined it or GM defined it. SS = what the Z/28 should have been.

The z/28 was so plain and dowdy, no wonder so many people chose to buy the SS (or not buy a camaro).
I am not sure what you are talking about. A 4th Gen Z/28 had ground effects, whereas a 4th Gen SS did not. That was one of the things that always bothered me about the SS, is that it didn't have (by default) the ground effects.

I recall when I bought my SS, there were 3 Zs right next to it, and I tried talking the dealer into taking the ground effects from one of the Zs and putting it on the SS. He didn't go for it.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by greg_nate
I am not sure what you are talking about. A 4th Gen Z/28 had ground effects, whereas a 4th Gen SS did not. That was one of the things that always bothered me about the SS, is that it didn't have (by default) the ground effects.

I recall when I bought my SS, there were 3 Zs right next to it, and I tried talking the dealer into taking the ground effects from one of the Zs and putting it on the SS. He didn't go for it.
And the newbie parade continues on the 5th gen board...

Don't mean to be a d!ck or anything, but the reason why he wouldn't is because those ground effects were OPTIONAL on a Z28...and not available on an SS. Why would he swap a factory option off of one car, and onto another?????
Old 12-10-2005, 06:10 PM

Thats illegal anyways. He'd be required by law to replace the option on the first car or he could be sued out the @$$ for it.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jason E
And the newbie parade continues on the 5th gen board...

Don't mean to be a d!ck or anything, but the reason why he wouldn't is because those ground effects were OPTIONAL on a Z28...and not available on an SS. Why would he swap a factory option off of one car, and onto another?????

THAT IS CLASSIC...get ready for the flood~
Old 12-11-2005, 01:04 AM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Originally Posted by I8COBRA
What did SLP do for the Z28? Slapped on a hood, spoiler, shifter, catback and wheels, big deal. The 4th gen SS was a joke, nothing but a prettier Z28.

Really?

Then how 'bout you and I meet up at Spring Mountain Motorsports park and I take you for a ride in a stock Z28 and then a stock SS.........

there is a big difference.

Now....as to the drag strip.......there is still a difference........the magic in the SS is how much better it handled on a road course. It put cars costing three times as much to shame.

Quick Reply: SLP involvement