2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Size Comparison.. Camaro vs Challenger

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 11:57 AM

Re: Size Comparison.. Camaro vs Challenger

Originally Posted by unvc92camarors
I still highly doubt the Challenger will be 4100. I don't know where that figure came from but that's just waaaay too much it seems for a vehicle of its size.
a vehicle its size witha big 6.1L V8? how about a vehicle an inch shorter, the 300C SRT8, same engine, same platform with a longer wheelbase, but even with the longer wheelbase, a shorter car, narrower car, 4160lb curb weight... why would the Challenger not be about the same when it's a bigger car than the 300C.. if anything it may be more
Old 01-08-2006, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by FS3800
i didnt make that pic, so i can't vouch for its accuracy..

i decided to do my own version..

the pic of the challenger is the original unedited pic.. i just pasted a scaled camaro over top of it.. and lined up the bottom of the front wheels

I know you didn't.

I am a little frightened by your new comparison pic. That height suggests maybe 2-3" shorter than the Challenger which makes it 3-4" higher than a 4th gen! It also looks like the beltline on the Camaro is the same or even a bit higher than the Challenger.

If that comparison is true and the ominous comments by red are true, then I think this car is going to be pretty hefty.

Prediction: Base model will be no lighter than 3600 lbs.
Top model will be no lighter than 3800 lbs.

(yes I know it is too early to tell)
Old 01-08-2006, 12:21 PM

based on wheelbase length given in video..(i did not make this one, found it posted on another site.. can't vouch for it's accuracy.. and i also have no idea where they got a straight on side profile shot)

Camaro:
110.5" Wheelbase
186.2" Length

Challenger:
116.0" Wheelbase
197.8" Length

That side profile comparison is not accurate. I'm sure you'll find the Dodge is not that 'Big' or conversely, the Camaro not as small.

Btw, isn't the respective height similar?
Old 01-08-2006, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by SSbaby
That side profile comparison is not accurate. I'm sure you'll find the Dodge is not that 'Big' or conversely, the Camaro not as small.

Btw, isn't the respective height similar?
yeah i can't vouch for the accuracy of that picture, i didn't make it.. i did make the one with the black background above.. yeah the overall height is close.. but lenght and wheelbase are way smaller on the camaro, and whil the cowl may be about the same height, the way the hood slants down a bit makes it look so much smaller

the dodge is pretty big.. i've seen a magnum in person, that is one long long car, and the challenger is longer by 1/10 inch.. and it's wider though i don't have the width numbers handy, they are around somewhere
Old 01-08-2006, 12:26 PM

a couple images.. i decided to do a side by side and an overlay of a S197 (2005+) mustang vs the camaro concept

also thought i'd do it for the 4th gen

Old 01-08-2006, 12:57 PM

a couple images.. i decided to do a side by side and an overlay of a S197 (2005+) mustang vs the camaro concept

also thought i'd do it for the 4th gen

hmmmm.

There is a sense of bulk to the car. The mustang has a lower hood than the Camaro? How is it that the Mustang looks more lean? I don't like that. This really shows what I was talking about with the wheel well to fender height. The 4th gen has a short distance and the Mustang has a little more but the Camaro concept has quite a distance there. This, I think, is a big factor in determining the "sportiness" of a design. I think lowering the hood height a few inches would do wonders for the profile look of the car and significantly reduce the "bulky" look of the car.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by SNEAKY NEIL
hmmmm.

There is a sense of bulk to the car. The mustang has a lower hood than the Camaro? .
The hood height probabaly was designed for the inevidable pedestrian safety standard that I will assume the USA will adopt . I read a article on this subject , and basically stated that among other things a high hoodline is pretty much un-avoidable . From what I gather , by the time the Camaro comes out , new requirements will be in place as far as how much distance there must be between the engine and the hood , how much distance between the nose of the car and the engine ect ect .
Old 01-08-2006, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by 90 Z28SS
The hood height probabaly was designed for the inevidable pedestrian safety standard that I will assume the USA will adopt . I read a article on this subject , and basically stated that among other things a high hoodline is pretty much un-avoidable . From what I gather , by the time the Camaro comes out , new requirements will be in place as far as how much distance there must be between the engine and the hood , how much distance between the nose of the car and the engine ect ect .
I thought about that too but how are cars like the Corvette affected by this? Maybe the era of sleek, lean cars is dead.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by SNEAKY NEIL
I thought about that too but how are cars like the Corvette affected by this? Maybe the era of sleek, lean cars is dead.
In Europe anyways , that was the aura or the article . I am not sure though if it has been stated whether the US will adopt these standards or not . It will clearly affect Cadillac and any other US model GM intents to sell overseas . IF look at the new Audi's and VW's which meet this standard now , it appears to make for some taller cars period .
Old 01-08-2006, 01:27 PM

Sleekness will never die!!!!!!!
Old 01-11-2006, 08:24 PM

a vehicle its size witha big 6.1L V8? how about a vehicle an inch shorter, the 300C SRT8, same engine, same platform with a longer wheelbase, but even with the longer wheelbase, a shorter car, narrower car, 4160lb curb weight... why would the Challenger not be about the same when it's a bigger car than the 300C.. if anything it may be more
Probably because that car is designed for luxury over anything else. This is supposed to be a muscle/sports car and performane is #1 in a model like this. 2 less doors on the Challenger, less glass overall?, cheaper seats (i.e. not as much padding), maybe not as much dampening material, etc.
I think 4100 is just overestimating.