2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should The Customers Wait To Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 12:25 AM

Should The Customers Wait To Buy?

It's official....Got a new job today and got the O.K. from the wife to buy the camaro when it comes out , but I have a problem...don't know when to buy.

Should I wait to buy the brand new car that has no street experience or feedback from everyday use? I was thinking buying after the second year model not the first because customer feedback will let GM know what needs attention, their will always be bugs that need to be worked out.
So is it worth to buy a car when it first comes out or is it better to wait for the second year model.
If I wait, the price could go through the roof when the dealers see all the ppl lined up at thier shop to buy a new camaro. I don't have faith in the dealerships to keep the price down. In turn that's going to hurt sales. just like it did the 4th gen.
I'm stuck guys, I need to know your opinion on this topic.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:05 AM
2010 Camaro Moderator/Disciple

Personally, I wouldn't avoid a car just because its a first year vehicle. It would not be a criteria I'd consider at all when making my buy/wait decision.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisL
Personally, I wouldn't avoid a car just because its a first year vehicle. It would not be a criteria I'd consider at all when making my buy/wait decision.
I disagree with this viewpoint. All manufacturers seem to make small tweaks to a new line, and that usually means fixes for small reliability issues, better options packages for your dollar, and small upgrades to hardware. I think it's worth it to wait 12 months.

Not everybody does though, and you should buy the car when you have the money.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:42 AM

I'm not too concerened. Whatever motor and tranny GM uses will not be new to the car. The six speed trannys (auto and manual) will have been out for a few years. The chassis will have been on the road in australia for 3 years by the time the car comes out and the car is going to be built at a plant thats known as one of the world's top quality plants. The only concern I'd have would be with electrical and programming gremlins, but I'll most likely get a "tune" anyway. Also, most "tweaks" aren't necessarily corrected by the second year anyway. Look at the 99-07 trucks. 99 and 00 had a lot of issues, nothing major, but they weren't fully corrected until '01 and even then, new different things came up for the different years.

I'll be buying a first year, but more like 6 months or more after all the "gotta have its" have one and dealers actually have a few to pick from.

Last edited by Silverado C-10; 04-13-2007 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:48 AM

Based on the rumors and speculation, it appears that the convertible and high-end V8 models may not be available when the Camaro first launches. Therefore, if you're purchase plans include those models, you'll most likely be waiting anyway.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:37 AM

If you "NEED" the convertible or or top HP V8, you'll end up waiting anyway.

If not, I don't see any reason not to get one the first year (as long as the dealers don't gouge you). I wouldn't be too concerned with 1st year "bugs". There was actually a pretty good thread on this 6-8 months ago if you don't mind searching for it.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Ron78Z&01SS
I'm taking a job on the beach..........

I NEED the convertible!
Old 04-13-2007, 11:32 AM

Several sources (correct or not) have said the 'vert wont be available until 2010.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Ron78Z&01SS

If not, I don't see any reason not to get one the first year (as long as the dealers don't gouge you). I wouldn't be too concerned with 1st year "bugs". There was actually a pretty good thread on this 6-8 months ago if you don't mind searching for it.
I tried to search for the tread but couldn't find it. I will be buying the top HP V8 so I guess it doesn't matter then, I'll have to wait. Just hope that the dealers don't decided to up the price because i know there's going to be alot of mudstangs on thier lot on trade in.
Thanks for the input guys, I'll look for the other post.
Cheers
Old 04-14-2007, 10:36 PM
Disciple

I'll be buying mine just as soon as I can get a V8 convertible at MSRP ... unless there are some really good rumors floating ... similar in nature to the ZOK Solstice.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Silverado C-10
Several sources (correct or not) have said the 'vert wont be available until 2010.
Actually, that seems to be very correct.

The 1st models will be the coupe and will start production in late fall 2008 as 2009 models. The convertibles seem like they'll be out the following spring or summer at the earliest, as 2010 models (much like the timing of the convertible intro of the current Mustang). The summer/fall of 2009 seems set for the high performance model.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:58 AM

Personally I am not too concerned with purchasing a first year run vehicle. I have a 2002 Silverado I bought new. This was the last year of this body style, but yet the truck still had just as many "gremlns" as the 1999's. I think a lot of the "don't buy the first model year" mentality is an artifact from a few decades ago when the domestics really did have **** poor initial quality and they esentially let the consumer work out the kinks for them. Anymore though, I firmly believe that they do a great job of ensuring you get a quality product from day 1.

As for the additional options and whatnot, that is a personal preference. If you feel as though you can not live without the added options that *might* come down the pipe, then wait it out; however, they almost always add things and make adjustments year after year, so you will be waiting a long time.

Personally, there is nothing that I would get in later yars that I can't live without. I would rather have my Camaro now then wait for a few options I may never use.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
Actually, that seems to be very correct.

The 1st models will be the coupe and will start production in late fall 2008 as 2009 models. The convertibles seem like they'll be out the following spring or summer at the earliest, as 2010 models (much like the timing of the convertible intro of the current Mustang). The summer/fall of 2009 seems set for the high performance model.
That's the one I'm waiting for.

Hmmm. Perhaps I'll need to buy something sooner to hold me over until then. The '95 Z/28 is getting a little long in the tooth... even though it does have less than 60k miles.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:39 AM

Same here, I am not worried about the 1st year production. Even thought dealers will dictate how long I will wait. I don't plan on paying over MSRP. Either that or beat them until they give me MSRP.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:21 PM

Most likely, I'm going to wait one year after production but, that doesn't mean I cant take a test drive when it first comes out

Quick Reply: Should The Customers Wait To Buy?