2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

San Francisco International Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 07:36 PM

San Francisco International Auto Show

After hearing the news of the 2010 Camaro release I was super excited to go to this years “new car” auto shows. I started by attending the local October auto show here in Sacramento. To my dismay they did not have a new Camaro. Not to surprising since Sacramento is not a large market for auto shows. I then set my sights to the San Francisco Auto show in November. Surly they would have a Camaro there since the previous year they had the concept car?

This was a bust too… It was not all wasted though I did get to see the Concept Camaro Convertible. That car has awesome lines and can not wait to see what the actual Camaro Convertible will look like since that is the car I plan to buy.

I was a bit discouraged though when talking with the attendant who was watching(showing) the car. He had a binder and would frantically flip through the pages trying to answer questions. It was sad to see that I knew more about the car he was trying to promote. I think GM needs to reexamine how they disseminate the information to the masses. They did not even have a brochure for the 2010 Camaro. It is very disconcerting to see such a revered muscle car with its rich history could be over looked by GM at the SF auto show.

GM get on the ball

Regards
Old 12-01-2008, 07:58 PM

Prototypes are usually reserved for 1st tier auto shows like LA, New York, etc. SF usually gets concepts a year or so after they make their debut.

San Francisco was extremely lucky not only to have the 2010 Mustang on display, but to have the 2010 Mustang GT with the 2010 1/2 HID lights (those that haven't seen it, it's completely different than the "stock" headlights. More sinister looking... looks like it should shoot death lasers!).

The people hired for 2nd tier shows are most often hired locally, and are given a brief class on whatever it is they are assigned to. You aren't typically going to have GM "experts" at a show like that save perhaps one GM rep overseeing the whole shebang for Scott. Being on this site, and the massive information on the Camaro available here, if you don't know more than the person who was given a briefing and a book to learn about the cars there, then you certainly are not paying attention. Even some of the guys GM flies in whose job it is to do the key exibits (like the new Camaro in LA) might have less hardcore information than a fan on this site.

The San Francisco show took place too close to the LA show to ship any production Camaros. I went down to LA for the press preview (I live in San Francisco myself) and the 2 production Camaros on display (an SS and the "Black" from SEMA) were going to stay there for the public show.

In the future, if you want to see 1st run preproduction cars, intros, or concepts, I advise you to take the 5 hour drive or 1 hour plane ride down to Los Angeles and see the Auto Show down there.

But San Francisco is still a pretty decent show. It's dirt cheap ($8), if there is no overlapping or close proximity major show they'll typically have some worthwhile vehicles, and it's not nearly as chaotic as the bigger shows.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:27 PM

I saw the new Mustang at the show. That *** end on that thing is horrible. The rest of the car looks OK. The Camaro they had on display was miles ahead of the Mustang as far as looks go. And by judging the crowds around both areas the Camaro was the winner.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:59 AM

I boycotted the show this year because there was no "real" Camaro. Actually, I couldn't find anyone to go with me, and I hate going to such events alone. My brother was out of town, and my wife refused to go this year. (I dragged her along last year and she was miserable.)

Maybe next year.