2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rumor of 5th Gen limited wheel width size

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 03:25 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by stars1010
Oh well that’s true.....

Going back to reads Jason’s comment, he did say "actual Camaro’s" so I guess they are using other bodies to test components.
I was just told there are "no Camaros being driven around Australia". No reading between the lines with that, I just said what I was told. Slice it up and make all the assumptions you want and it will bring you right back to the original problem of assumed information.

If there are mules running around, no one would easily be able to say "I saw a Camaro running around".
Old 04-18-2007, 03:50 PM

Zeta tire section width will have similar limitations as the VZ GTO.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
No reading between the lines with that,
Please Jason! What else is there to do in this forum?
Old 04-19-2007, 12:20 PM

At this point, I wouldn't for a moment believe the rumor of tire width size. Not saying anything more than this, I "suspect" if you can fit it on a Corvette, you 'should" be able to fit it on a 5th gen Camaro.

Originally Posted by stars1010
REALLY?

Thats shocking to me........seems they would have mutiple mules driving around down there......I thought even someone from GM even mentioned that testing was already going on down under.....

Unless......they are testing them somewhere else?
Not necessarily. There's been HUGE advances in car development since even only 4 years ago!

In the case of the 5th gen, most all of the components come right off the production VE, so things like suspension & drivetrain pieces don't need to be tested as if they were all new.

The unibody or structure of the car is all done and tested on computer, including crash testing, locating potential problem areas, and a whole host of other engineering items.

Today, the only real need for mules is for cooling tests or real world testing of all new components. The only real need for early prototypes is essentially to see how everything works together and what last minute changes might be needed.

Although it's very possible that there's a Holden VE running around with some unique parts, and we're getting to the point where there likely is an early prototype, there almost certainly wouldn't be multiple cars running around. Holden had exactly 4 mules-prototypes during the entire VE development period (each one representing a development stage and each served a particular purpose). And that was for an entirely new car.

I don't expect to see any "Spy" photos of the Camaro till we get within the final 12 months before introduction, when GM starts looking at how everything from A/Cs and heaters to anti-locks and OEM interior and chassis pieces and components all work together & they start tweaking computer programs all for real world conditions. I suspect about the same time, we'll see one at Nurburging.

Consider that the Dodge Challenger is only about 10 months away, and like the Camaro, most everything on it is already on the streets in the form of the LX cars. There's been no prototypes at all spotted & the only mule picture that's surfaced is nothing more than the front end of a Challenger screwed on to a Charger SRT8 for cooling tests.

Thanks to advances in computer engineering and the shashing of development time (once something finally gets approved), we're quickly getting to the point where "mules" won't be necessary, and where "spy shots" of a car show up just before the preproduction versions show up at auto shows.

Last edited by guionM; 04-19-2007 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Zeta tire section width will have similar limitations as the VZ GTO.
Well F that!
Old 04-20-2007, 07:55 AM

Didnt Denny Mooney comment that there were some prototypes running around? Or were those just drive train prototypes?
Old 04-20-2007, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
Although it's very possible that there's a Holden VE running around with some unique parts, and we're getting to the point where there likely is an early prototype, there almost certainly wouldn't be multiple cars running around. Holden had exactly 4 mules-prototypes during the entire VE development period (each one representing a development stage and each served a particular purpose). And that was for an entirely new car.
Here you go guionM. I think I know what this is

and to compare to a normal VE Commodore here is my car.

Last edited by crYnOid; 04-20-2007 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Included VE commy pic
Old 04-20-2007, 11:08 AM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by crYnOid

I have a more than just a decent idea!

Originally Posted by JasonD
I was just told there are "no Camaros being driven around Australia". No reading between the lines with that, I just said what I was told. Slice it up and make all the assumptions you want and it will bring you right back to the original problem of assumed information.

If there are mules running around, no one would easily be able to say "I saw a Camaro running around".
Camaro?
Perhaps not.

A short wheelbase Zeta 4 door mule running around being used for Zeta coupe development (which would include Camaro)??

Safe to assume we have that answer now.

Last edited by guionM; 04-20-2007 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
I have a more than just a decent idea!

Camaro?
Perhaps not.

A short wheelbase Zeta 4 door mule running around being used for Zeta coupe development (which would include Camaro)??

Safe to assume we have that answer now.
That white car is the mule everyone is looking for? Sneaky GM.....

The wheel arches are bolted on. The rear wheel arch seals the rear door shut, it looks like.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:30 PM

The front wheelbase also looks altered. Note the differences in the distances between the front door gap and the fender lip on both cars. Unless its just the flares giving that appearance.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:45 PM

What are the widest tires anyone has been known to fit to a GTO?
Old 04-20-2007, 08:38 PM

Without any body work... 245 up front 275 out back
Old 04-21-2007, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by crYnOid

and to compare to a normal VE Commodore here is my car.

1st off youre the man

2nd Come state side and take some press pics for GM if you took that pic for your Commodore! Bring the car with you!
Old 04-22-2007, 12:23 AM

That'd be teh suck... 8.5" is kinda puny for wheel width.. unless you're driving a neon.

9 ft, 9.5 at the rear for the minimum. IMO...
Old 04-24-2007, 12:20 PM

That would be rather upsetting. I thought there was talk that they were goign to lenghthen the cowl to axle distance so that they could put on a 24 inch wheel. I would also assume that the longer cowl to axle distance, the more "mid engine" this Camaro will be, having the engine settled farther back, with teh wheels farther front...worked for Corvette, could help Camaro's handling. And with the long distance, hopefuly half the engine isnt under the cowl...

Quick Reply: Rumor of 5th Gen limited wheel width size