2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Regarding the Camaro Summit: Ummmm, what the heck?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 04:33 PM
2010 Camaro Moderator/Disciple

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Do you think the fact that most of the participants are in the 4thgen community or SSOA might have skewed or biased the responses?
definitely. no one was interested in any 4 cyl options.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron91RS
I don't get the secrecy thing? What can it possibly hurt?
What can they hope to benefit by keeping it a secret?
you're kidding, right? Sure, give the competetion a heads up on what's coming.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:42 PM

I dunno if this has been asked.

Realistically, when can we expect to see a production version? Retail Details etc...?

I am new to this segment of waiting for new cars, so I have no idea.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:16 PM

Nothing was said about that. The official line is still 1Q09
Old 05-24-2007, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by HTWLSS
Many of us in the SSOA are also owners of the other generations, so....no, I don't think that skewed anything that we also have a 4th gen.
No doubt.

But here's a thought: The 4th gen F-car was an extremely compromised package - for a multitude of reasons. So compromised in fact, that the automotive consumer populace simply refused to buy them anymore.

So here's what concerns me. Even with these crippling compromises, I'd say it's a safe bet that a good majority of the attendees feel that their 4th gen is probably the best damned car ever produced. In no way do I want to offend anyone - but lets face it, the 5th gen needs to raise the bar exponentially from that, and have much broader appeal to boot.

So is the deck stacked to aim low as far as the input given GM, since those that are giving this input base a good chunk of their lifestyle around a car/package which eventually failed in the market place?

Again, not meaning to give offence or anything, but just bringing it up as a point of discussion.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisL
definitely. no one was interested in any 4 cyl options.

Well, that's too bad. Because the way CAFE may go in the next decade, an optional turbo Ecotec package may end up being not only a viable business decision for the Camaro - but perhaps also a necessity.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:31 PM

No doubt.

But here's a thought: The 4th gen F-car was an extremely compromised package - for a multitude of reasons. So compromised in fact, that the automotive consumer populace simply refused to buy them anymore.

So here's what concerns me. Even with these crippling compromises, I'd say it's a safe bet that a good majority of the attendees feel that their 4th gen is probably the best damned car ever produced. In no way do I want to offend anyone - but lets face it, the 5th gen needs to raise the bar exponentially from that, and have much broader appeal to boot.

So is the deck stacked to aim low as far as the input given GM, since those that are giving this input base a good chunk of their lifestyle around a car/package which eventually failed in the market place?

Again, not meaning to give offence or anything, but just bringing it up as a point of discussion.
I wholeheartedly agree and it should be noted that the Camaro has one of the most loyal followings in the country. So much so that sometimes it is almost brainwashing.

However I don't forsee the "chosen ones" making that mistake. Most of them want 4th gen performance with 1st gen style and comfort. Thats a mix i can live with.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:45 PM

Well, that's too bad. Because the way CAFE may go in the next decade, an optional turbo Ecotec package may end up being not only a viable business decision for the Camaro - but perhaps also a necessity.
LOL, are you this serious about everything? I mean, your passion about this is exemplary, but all this worrying is gonna take years off your odometer.

they werent asking us about 10 years from now. for all we know, we'll be fueling with hydrogen by then.

throw away 4th gen thoughts. the only thing this car is going to have in common with them are 4 wheels.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:00 PM

LOL, are you this serious about everything?
Ahhhhh..... you were joking......

But what if they did ask that?

Last edited by Z284ever; 05-24-2007 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:41 PM

Ahhhhh..... you were joking......

But what if they did ask that?
In terms of what is currently available from GM Powertrain, your question isnt very realistic, is it?

Just because I would only consider buying a V8, doesnt mean I'm oblivious to the fact there has to be smaller engines available. In fact, you could easily say it's the V6 segment that is most critical to the success of the 5th gen.

If we were to peer through the looking glass, to a time where technology has advanced far enough that manufacturers can provide more HP from 4 cyls, sure, why not?
Old 05-24-2007, 09:02 PM
BBOMG Organizer

Did one of the engineers ask if you would like to see power window motors in the new Camaro that actually worked longer than 2 years?
Old 05-24-2007, 09:10 PM

In terms of what is currently available from GM Powertrain, your question isnt very realistic, is it?
Actually, it's quite realistic. Both Bob Lutz and Gene Stefanyshyn have publicly stated that a turbo 4 is being considered as a Zeta powerplant.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:14 PM

you're kidding, right? Sure, give the competetion a heads up on what's coming.
Not to mention that changes can and will happen. Why promise something today that may change in 6 months.

Let them nail the car down before we worry what it is going to be like in final form.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by JB22
I dunno if this has been asked.

Realistically, when can we expect to see a production version? Retail Details etc...?

I am new to this segment of waiting for new cars, so I have no idea.
Noone gonna chime in?
Old 05-24-2007, 09:42 PM
Disciple

No doubt.

...something to consider... The attendees (myself included) were there to be the voice of the enthusiast. There are things that I like and dislike about the concept, ...but I do realize others opinions are different than mine. Lets pick on the grill for example, ...some love it, ...some hate it. I'm OK with it, ...but I did note the concerns that OTHERS have expressed about it. Same with the wheels, taillights, etc, etc.
To make the assumption that '...those giving input are basing it around a car/package that failed...', ...simply doesn't reflect the frame of mind for those there, ...nor does it account for all the other enthusiasts who have voiced their concerns. Like I said, ...we weren't there to simply voice our own individual concerns.
...and no, ...the 'deck' isn't stacked low. On the contrary, ...I believe GM realizes, ...there is a LOT at stake here, ...they do want to get it right. Will they? ...only time will tell, ...but I whole-heartedly believe they will and are doing everything they can...

Quick Reply: Regarding the Camaro Summit: Ummmm, what the heck?!