2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Production Speculation Thread.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 11:40 PM

Re: Production Speculation Thread.....

Goes without saying, at least here, that I sure as hell hope this rumor is indeed fact. The sooner the Camaro gets greenlighted, the sooner the hi-po version will be made.

James
Old 01-11-2006, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by 91Z28350
Goes without saying, at least here, that I sure as hell hope this rumor is indeed fact. The sooner the Camaro gets greenlighted, the sooner the hi-po version will be made.

James

18 months after intial launch according to Fbod.

wow, i just realized how much that sucks. i gotta wait 18 months AFTER it comes out!

oh well, more money to put down
Old 01-12-2006, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by turbo96z28
18 months after intial launch according to Fbod.

wow, i just realized how much that sucks. i gotta wait 18 months AFTER it comes out!

oh well, more money to put down
Thats my strategy. Hmmmm, if this thing were to make a late '07 or early '08 debut, looks like the 3800 is gonna stick around for a little longer while the savings account builds up eagerly anticipating a 5th gen...
Old 01-12-2006, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by turbo96z28
thanks for jumpimg in 91_z28_4me. i just wanted to get the Doraville stuff in here so no one gets confused, because i know the plant will be shutting down for retooling soon for the Lambdas.

what about the Omega Moos?
Old 01-12-2006, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by 5thGen
what about the Omega Moos?
The Moos and the Alpha-Betas are staging revolt against the Sigmas and Epsilons. Kappa will be the one deciding factor others are forgetting about.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:24 AM

I'm a lambda lambda lambda
Old 01-12-2006, 01:21 PM

Just a few things to add.

If it were up to BL and RW as well as the Chevrolet Motor Division, the thing would be in production tomorrow. But these guys are responsible for a multi billion dollar operation. That means there's going to be checks and balences in route to production. People inside are going to have to make the financial case as well as the logistic case for the car.

Everyone is right in that the car is MUCH farther along than most expect. Now that I know it doesn't have to wait for any carline to run it's course before it gets a plant, and that most all the case has been already done, it simply a matter of having available cash to tear out and remodel the assembly line.

GM now has to create the cash flow to make this happen. !st they have to stop this 25 million per day cash hemmorage, then they have to clear some cash on what they are selling.

The big cash GM is spending right now is to get the full size SUVs up and running. Next will be the big truck line. That's going to take something like a year to do alone because they are made at multiple plants... alot of money to remodel. Once the big trucks are done (my guess a year to a year and a half from now), Gm should then have some cash to start on another plant remodeling for a model that has a high priority. From most accounts, something that would take a year or so on it's own.

My (wild guess) predictions:
1. Expect a final decision within the next 6 months.
2. Expect about 6-8 months to get things arranged for remodeling.
3. Expect another year or so remodeling.
4. Expect a 6 to 8 month training and startup.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:48 PM

thanks for jumping in here Guy. the insight is definetley appreciated.

Originally Posted by guionM
so the earliest (based on your wild guess ) we can see it is 25 months. that's assuming it has gotten the green light within the last week, 6 months to arrange for the remodel, a year to remodel, and 6 months for training and start up.

although things can alter that time frame in either direction (ie=sooner or later).
Old 01-12-2006, 03:33 PM

We'll probably be laughing at ourselves when a 2007.5 rolls off the line!!

I'm sure GM could pull the wool over our eyes this whole time if they chose to .

But we'll also be lauging at ourselves (and choking down crow) when the car doesn't roll off the line 'til late 2009!
Old 01-12-2006, 04:23 PM

Has anyone thought about the possibility of the checks and balances and various negotiating already being done and based on the contingency of the general public intrest? I guarantee this would be an easy negotiation. America loves Camaros. I personally believe that the General ans done a whole lot more red tape work then we have been led to believe. Remember what was said? Close to the Camaros Heritage
Old 01-12-2006, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
Just a few things to add.

Everyone is right in that the car is MUCH farther along than most expect. Now that I know it doesn't have to wait for any carline to run it's course before it gets a plant, and that most all the case has been already done, it simply a matter of having available cash to tear out and remodel the assembly line.

GM now has to create the cash flow to make this happen. !st they have to stop this 25 million per day cash hemmorage, then they have to clear some cash on what they are selling.

The big cash GM is spending right now is to get the full size SUVs up and running.

So, 30 SUVs to their 20 cars is not enough already, they still need more SUVs than cars by more than 3-2?

Next will be the big truck line.

Should be self sustaining, the Truck plants should have been bought and paid for, and in the bank with a tab on the corner (for new truck lines, 2006)

That's going to take something like a year to do alone because they are made at multiple plants... alot of money to remodel. Once the big trucks are done (my guess a year to a year and a half from now), Gm should then have some cash to start on another plant remodeling for a model that has a high priority. From most accounts, something that would take a year or so on it's own.

So if GM is this broke, where did they get the $$ to do the Solstice, the SSR, etc.

GM made 9 million cars last year (global). A growth in Production.

4.5 in the US, which is down.
4.5 outside the US which is way up.

You are telling me they are growing globally, but they do not have the ability to spend enough cash to get a new car going while getting new SUVs and Trucks going?

This tells me two things

1. GM does not treat each and every vehicle model like a complete business case. Obviously losing money on some models, but floating them with other models.
2. GM has had the capability to pull itself out of the mess it's in, but just has not because they they see nothing wrong with the way they do business.

If the schedule takes as long as you stated, GM will be seeing bankruptcy before the Camaro hits the streets.

Yes, I have my flak jacket on. But that schedule, if they stick to it, says nothing other than GM refuses to change the way they do business, and they have to, in order to survive.

I have already seen a few other things,

one, GM refuses to use the strengths of each company under it's belt. They also keep saying they are acting like a Global company, when they are not. They should act like one company, not a whole mess all under one roof. Sharing platforms globally, should be a no-brainer when you are making 9m cars a year. Engineering/Sharing should be as common as Parts sharing is on the Trailblazer line. How many engines are made by GM now? Globally that is.
Sorry, but that schedule (knowing you have had many spot on things to say) has just made me irate.

I hope you are wrong. And even much more so, I sincerely hope I am wrong.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
We'll probably be laughing at ourselves when a 2007.5 rolls off the line!!

I'm sure GM could pull the wool over our eyes this whole time if they chose to .

But we'll also be lauging at ourselves (and choking down crow) when the car doesn't roll off the line 'til late 2009!

god I hope so (to the first part)
Old 01-12-2006, 11:09 PM

5thGen,

heres my take on the truck thing.

GM pulled alot of resources out of other programs to get the GMT900s out to market ASAP. the SUVs and pick-ups are still very high profit vehicles for GM.

what that means is the GMT900s need to start selling so GM can recoup the money they invested into getting them out so quick.

other priority platforms (read: RWD program) need to wait til everything is finished up on getting the GMT900s out to market before they can start.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:17 PM

Unfortunately , Billy you are probably right, but man I wish you were wrong.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:22 PM

I dont remember but Scott comented on that fact that GM was trying not to have SSR and Solstice time to production errors again....

he mentioned that they had learned their lesson... but what does that do for our situation?

Originally Posted by stars1010
Ok two Questions then cross my mind…

#1 Where exactly is Camaro in the development phase?

We obviously know its much farther along than the Solstice concept was when shown.

&

#2 What hurdles are left to make production?

-Formal approval (looks like they may already have a very detailed business plan, so I’m thinking no problem)

-looks like the main design is done minus some details (interior, slight body changes)

-Crash testing? Mule testing, alpha, beta cars?

-Contracts out to sub-suppliers (if they aren’t already submitted)

-tooling up the factory (one may already be picked out)

I’ve got a gut feeling this car isn’t as far off as we may have thought.

I was thinking mid to late ’08 as an ’09 model….

But…but….could it be late ’07 as an ’08?

Is that even possible?

I would really like to see some of the hard core guys on here help figure out a time frame.

Can this car hit the streets in less than 24 months?

Quick Reply: Production Speculation Thread.....