2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Production Speculation Thread.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 09:26 PM

Re: Production Speculation Thread.....

Originally Posted by turbo96z28
i've been home sick for 3 days (thank gawd i got sick on Sunday night ) and have spent entirely too much time up here!!!!!!!!!
i think i only had like 950 posts Monday morning before the unveiling!!!!
i even did the show schedule sticky for Jason D. he gave me a shout at the bottom.

lol, I had like 70.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:28 PM

I wouldn't be suprised if it came out VERY soon.......

Started work a year ago. It IS on a chassis that has had a ton of work into it, therefore it would be a production feasible platform (or they wouldn't spend that much $$ on it, I think). So I think we could see it in mid 07....
Old 01-11-2006, 09:40 PM

i still got my fimgers crossed for a 40th anniversary model
You and me both! I'd love to have the 35th and 40th!
Old 01-11-2006, 09:43 PM

I brought this up in a seperate thread, but as far as product speculation goes, I think GM has always had big plans for this concept. Why else would they risk bringing in outsiders to create a "making of" video. It's a lot of risk for what would otherwise be minimal gain if it was to only be a concept.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:43 PM

i dont post here much, but...

what will happen with the deal with the Canada plant where GM made a deal with the canadian govt to build all vehicles with the name "Camaro" in their plant until 2009 which was a deal to get some money to help build the plant from the canadian govt itself?
Old 01-11-2006, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by nourdmrolnmt1

what will happen with the deal with the Canada plant where GM made a deal with the canadian govt to build all vehicles with the name "Camaro" in their plant until 2009 which was a deal to get some money to help build the plant from the canadian govt itself?

the deal was connected to the plant, which has now been torn down. this got ironed out some time ago concerning the use of the name.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by RhinoSS
I brought this up in a seperate thread, but as far as product speculation goes, I think GM has always had big plans for this concept. Why else would they risk bringing in outsiders to create a "making of" video. It's a lot of risk for what would otherwise be minimal gain if it was to only be a concept.

Not only that but the video mentioned they spent 15 million on this concept alone!

I believe it said 15….

Anyway, for those who know what does the average concept cost?
Old 01-11-2006, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by nourdmrolnmt1

From the sound of things... if there was a contract the Bobster is playing ignorant. There is another thread running around here with a link to the story

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...ghlight=canada)
Old 01-11-2006, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by stars1010
Not only that but the video mentioned they spent 15 million on this concept alone!

I believe it said 15….

going by ACAR, i think thats about right.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by RhinoSS
From the sound of things... if there was a contract the Bobster is playing ignorant. There is another thread running around here with a link to the story

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...ghlight=canada)

Like Billy said, this isnt an issue anymore....
Old 01-11-2006, 09:53 PM

going by ACAR, i think thats about right.
I need to read that again...its been almost two years since I've dusted it off.....

Maybe Scott will have his book out first?
Old 01-11-2006, 10:00 PM

Maybe Scott will have his book out first?

that reminds me..........................
Old 01-11-2006, 10:00 PM

GM was offered $10 Mil for the Caddy 16 and laughed at the guy to his face.

Anyways my thoughts on production: Car is further along than a lot of people thought. Guy has a bug in Aus and they are doing the sturctural and suspension work on the car, it seems as though it is VE suspension and Sigma II structural components, call it Zeta or Sigma lite or Zegma (that one is popular on C&G). With the design work pretty near design freeze and VE entering production in what 6-8 months you can wager a hefty sum that the suspension is done. Caddy will have the Sigma II CTS in early 2008, they won't botch this launch it should be HUGE! Holden is running test models of VE now and so their structural engineers are probably working on the Camaro and Chevy sedan platform as we speak. So we have the majority of the engineering work DONE, as it seems. It will take 12 months or so to get the plant and tooling ready, get the contracts with suppliers setup and get betas off the line.

So lets be realistic here: Lets say GM has approved the car as of tomorrow January 12th. Add 3-6 months of negotiating with suppliers/finalizing parts. Add 12 months of tooling/line setup. I think we can realistically say that 18 months IS doable. That puts the car out in August of 2007 which would be a 2008 model year. Now Lutz said specifically "A decision for production would be made withing 6 months. So lets look at that add 6 months to August and you get January of 2009, very similar to the 2007 Tahoe which started production in December of 2005.

I was asked to join this thread to talk about the Georgia plant, Doraville. Doraville will most likely get the Lambda minivans for Chevy and Saturn and Pontiac (I know not really sporty is it). I am guessing based on Guy's hints that Willmington will get the Chevy coupe/sedan and that Oshawa I, MC and Impala home, will get a new Impala since the name is tied there. Impala could go on a longer version of the RWD Chevy platform but that doesn't make much sense so we could see a new old name for the RWD sedan. Wasn't there specualtion of a Chevelle sedan?
Old 01-11-2006, 10:30 PM

thanks for jumpimg in 91_z28_4me. i just wanted to get the Doraville stuff in here so no one gets confused, because i know the plant will be shutting down for retooling soon for the Lambdas.

didn't want anyone jumping in saying "well Doraville is shutting down to retool for the Camaro"

thanks for throwing in all the thoughts on the Camaro too..
Old 01-11-2006, 11:36 PM

forgot about this one. from over at Inside Line:
Well, that didn't take long. The din of the marching band has barely died down from today's press conference, and Edmunds Inside Line is already citing anonymous supplier sources as saying that the Camaro will put down long, inky stripes come 2009 on the strength of today's unveiling. But it wasn't just the espresso-soaked press pool's clamoring today that may have made the difference. Concurrently with the concept's unveiling in Detroit, General Motors pulled the sheet on its crimson alter-ego at the Los Angeles Motor Show to similarly good effect.

That this news comes so hard on the heels of the car's debut also likely means one (or more) of the following is true:

*General Motors kept tabs on the torrent of 'build it, already!!' comments that appeared in web forums worldwide when shots of the concept leaked in advance of today's debut.
*GM took note of the similar response afforded DCX's Challenger when its photos hit the internet well in advance of its NAIAS unveiling.
*The General was so sure that they had a hit on their hands during development that they green-lighted it earlier and are just now letting the word eke out.
*General Motors is spawning these rumors itself (or 'allowing' them to happen) in order to gauge America's reaction to the news and base Camaro's production hopes on said feedback.
*By jumpstarting this dialogue among enthusiasts and consumers, suppliers (or Edmund's own scribblers) are looking to wag the dog into birthing a new pony.
Regardless, the rumor mill is officially open for business.

Quick Reply: Production Speculation Thread.....