2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Production amount

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Disciple

My dealer of choice had allocation for 6 left last time I talked to him, and that's only 1 out 4 major local dealers.

Originally Posted by King Moose SS
You Canuks are funny. Can't you guys come down here pick up a camaro, and drive it up?
Yes & no.

Franchise rules say a U.S. dealer cannot sell a new car to a Canadian to be taken back to Canada. They "could" have their franchise pulled over it. There's also a 6 month, 6,000 mile delay before the warranty gets honored in Canada.

Add the import costs, fees, aggravation and limited financing options and it becomes a process that relatively few undertake. With the way our dollars is tanking, it may not be cost effective either.

I've done it, but only because for one, the price difference was just too big to ignore, and for the other, after having an order in the system for 7 months and no TPW in sight, I sourced what I wanted out of U.S. dealer inventory.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
obviously. but what im wondering is how long does it actually take to build 1 car? and dont say 60 seconds.
From absolute raw materials I'd say a long time. But once on the assmbley line pretty quick. When I toured the Corvette plant, that assmbley line crawled at a snails pace. At the end though, in a short amount of time I still saw serveral cars come off of the line.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by 30thZ286speed
From absolute raw materials I'd say a long time. But once on the assmbley line pretty quick. When I toured the Corvette plant, that assmbley line crawled at a snails pace. At the end though, in a short amount of time I still saw serveral cars come off of the line.
obviously from raw materials it takes a long time. this car has been three years in the making. i was meaaning the assembly line time. how long on the assembly line does it take to complete 1 car? and it soundsl ike right now 1 day is about the right time.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by poSSum

Franchise rules say a U.S. dealer cannot sell a new car to a Canadian to be taken back to Canada. They "could" have their franchise pulled over it. There's also a 6 month, 6,000 mile delay before the warranty gets honored in Canada.
That's stupied... These regulations are soo annoying. You should of seen what I had to do to get the skyline in the U.S.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:37 PM

they make a car a second?!?!?!?! how the hell is this possible?
1 car every 60 seconds (1 car/minute) ... not 1 every second!!!
Originally Posted by ChrisL
he was saying one every 60 seconds, but I believe that's a bit optimistic.
Not really . Have you ever seen a production line in action? I obviously haven't seen the Camaro line going, but I took a tour of the truck plant a few years ago ... there was a clock ticking at the end of the line ... a full size, extended-cab Silverado or Sierra would roll off the line every ~57 - 63 seconds from what I counted (yes, we stood and watched for a few minutes!! ). It's actually mind boggling when you think about it.

Originally Posted by ImportedRoomate
It doesn't take 60 seconds to build a car. When the line is running and all stations are filled with cars at different stages, a car will come off every 60 seconds.
You got it .

obviously. but what im wondering is how long does it actually take to build 1 car? and dont say 60 seconds.
Originally Posted by SSPORT10
I think it is around 1 day or so.
That sounds about right. Again, we won't know the full capacity time of the Camaro for awhile until they ramp up production, but typically, I think the build time for cars in Oshawa has been around a ~day or so. May be ~16 hours or something? (ie: 2 full shifts from start to finish). If they are only going to work an 8-hour day shift, I doubt that any cars will finish within 1 shift ... they probably stop the line at the end of the day, and wherever they leave off, they pick up and start from the next day. Still, while running at normal capacity, the line should produce a new Camaro every ~60 seconds . Man, what a beautiful picture that will be!!!
Old 03-10-2009, 09:09 AM

What happened to "free trade"?
Old 03-10-2009, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by detroitboy
I don't know if it's an international trade issue as much as it's a franchise issue at the dealer level.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Eric77TA
I don't know if it's an international trade issue as much as it's a franchise issue at the dealer level.
Shouldn't it be the buyers responsibility, not the sellers?
Old 03-10-2009, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by detroitboy
Its allowing American dealers to import Camaros.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:06 PM

Sorry to hear anyone has to deal with those issues. I guess doing anything internationally as an individual is full of such complications. It must be difficult to be a smaller business and deal with such issues.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:16 PM

Things are really screwy sometimes. I was talking to a ship captain from Croatia a few months ago. He was looking at buying a Corvette here locally and having it shipped. He said it was MUCH cheaper than buying in Europe.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by King Moose SS
Shouldn't it be the buyers responsibility, not the sellers?
I believe it's set up that way to protect the dealers. How happy would a Canadian dealer be if his customer could simply drive a few miles South and pick up the same car for a few thousand bucks cheaper and then drive it back to Canada? I guess it could be set up so that the purchaser had to pay the difference (for example, I live in Missouri, but if I go buy a car in Kansas I still have to pay Missouri sales tax for the car) but that's not the way the laws are currently configured.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:38 AM

I will make a some guesses on time. 4 hours in body, 4 in paint, and 6 to get through General Assembly. Plus there is usually a bank between each one of those that can eat up an hour or two. There is a lot of parallel path stuff too: The engines are getting assembled before the car drops into GA, the body subassemblies are built up before getting welded onto the BIW, the chassis is built up seperately before being married to the body.

-Geoff
Old 03-11-2009, 11:25 AM

If it took a whole day to build one car then with there being 10,000+ preorders then we would be waiting a while don't you think.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by ezlock83
If it took a whole day to build one car then with there being 10,000+ preorders then we would be waiting a while don't you think.
no, because you would have an assembly line going. one starts and then theres another one after it. its not, you do one and then the next day you start another. you start one and then right after that you start another one. the first car wont be done for a day or maybe less but then there will be another camaro 1 minute right after it.

Quick Reply: Production amount