2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price Range (again)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 12:55 AM

Re: Price Range (again)

Considering that the 2006 Cobalt SS-Super-charged coupe has a base price of $21,990. By 2009MY the Cobalts SS-SC base price should be around $22,995 which would be close to the starting price for the 09 base v6 Camaro.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by Blue89Bird
Just comfy seats

sorry to take it out of context... but man the 4th gen seats are nice!

they are soo comfy... my friend drove my other friends 94 camaro z28 about 100 miles, then the next day he drove his SL500 Mercedies the same 100, and he had to give it up to the seats in the camaro made for a more comfortable ride...

similarly... a previous customer of mine, had a dodge van, replaced the dodge seats with camaro 4th gen seats... after he told me i realized the two tone color and realized it lol... and sure enough they were comfy in there too...
Old 12-10-2005, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by johnsocal
Considering that the 2006 Cobalt SS-Super-charged coupe has a base price of $21,990. By 2009MY the Cobalts SS-SC base price should be around $22,995 which would be close to the starting price for the 09 base v6 Camaro.
the SS cobalt needs to be faster IMO to the v6 camaro...
Old 12-10-2005, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mersereau427
At five feet tall, wouldn't that be the case in almost every car? How many cars have telescoping steering columns these days? Tilt yes, but telesoping? I thought that went out in the eighties.
Mazda 3
Ford Focus
Volkswagen Golf, GTI, Passat, and Jetta
CHEVROLET MALIBU / MALIBU MAXX
CHEVROLET CORVETTE / Cadillac XLR
Cadillac STS
Cadillac DTS
Mazda 6 / Ford Fusion / Mercury Milan, Lincoln "Zephyr"
Honda Accord
BMW 3-series
Hyundai Azera, Sonata

Just to name a few.

Either way some people need it and/or height adjustable seats and/or pedals. With out atleast, preferably two of these features (Focus's have height adjustable seats and telescoping steering available) some people can not drive certain vehicles. When people NEED something that a car does not have, it does not matter how nice the rest of the car is, they are not going to buy that car.

They aren't the only ones that may not buy the car. Without these options, people that would otherwise leap at the chance to buy the vehicle are not allowed to because somebody important to them (that may need to drive it from time to time) would not be able to drive it safely. I am 6' 2" I have no problem what-so-ever driving a Camaro, but my girl may need to drive it occasionally while we are finishing school and it is just not safe for her. I will find a way to have one of the upcoming Camaros, pure and simple, but if I have to modify it by adding telescoping steering or adjustable pedals (I don't have the money or time to do that right now) just so my (soon to be) wife will be able to drive it, that will be the difference between me ordering it new or buying a used one.

IMO I think ALL new and/or updated cars and trucks that GM produces like the new Impala, Lucerne, the future Camaro, and 2007 trucks should have them (at least) optional. Seriously the Malibus have it, why can't the Camaro?

David
Old 12-10-2005, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by notgetleft
Just because this debate is sooooo much fun....

In a year where both have been available, Z28 has NEVER had more HP than SS.

Now comes the part where someone says the 302 was underrated and really made 450hp and the high compression lumpy cam 396 was a dog...

Then comes the part where someone points out the Z28 had teh better suspension and brakes therefore making it the top performance model, HP be damned.

roflmao
Ok, for the sake of fun. I wouldn't say the 302 never had more HP than an SS model. While it was true that the SS was a straight line beast, the Z28 w/ the 302 was an all around performer for the Trans Am racing series. Yes, I know that the rating from the factory was 290hp, but lets hear what Bill Howell, who was one of the top development engineers for Chevrolet at the time, had to say about the Z28's little ol' 302, "Stock-out-of-the-box 302s, under the gross horsepower test with the stock cam and exhaust manifold, were 340-350 horsepower. They underrated it somewhat for the street." Now that's not a backwoods redneck making these claims, that's a GM engineer who helped to develop the motor. That was, as he mentioned, a stock 302. Throw some of the factory race goodies on it and I'm sure it'd make a lot more power.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:21 AM

I always forget an important qualifier when i don't proofread.

Let me rephrase, z28 never had more *available* HP than SS.

hopefully that ends sidetracking the argument, not that it matters anway.

I also forgot the other good one, goes along with the suspension and brake thing. In today's world, a car can't just have a big engine and not have all the other 'sporting' goods. However, considering GM set the precedent in the 4th gen that SS gets all the best suspension and engine options, where does that leave us. Or does it even matter anyway....

I don't really care much either way. I only inject my thoughts into these posts because , well, the SS argument is so much easier to make, z28 only holds water if you are sentimental about the badge...

edit, reread my post, man i really just don't care, roflmao.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by notgetleft
I always forget an important qualifier when i don't proofread.

Let me rephrase, z28 never had more *available* HP than SS.
In some cases, yes. Then again, the 1970-72 Z28 with the solid lifter 350 LT-1 made over 360 horsepower and the SS with either one of the optional 396s were rated at either 350 or 375. That's not a very large discrepancy. Not to mention some of the options that just weren't offered to the SS that were to the Z28.

hopefully that ends sidetracking the argument, not that it matters anway.

I also forgot the other good one, goes along with the suspension and brake thing. In today's world, a car can't just have a big engine and not have all the other 'sporting' goods. However, considering GM set the precedent in the 4th gen that SS gets all the best suspension and engine options, where does that leave us. Or does it even matter anyway....
GM in a lot of ways didn't really set that precendent, SLP did. Then again you can make the arguement "Well, GM approved it....". True. But for the most part the 4th gen SS wasn't much more than an appearance package. The "true" SS wasn't outfitted with all the suspension. Now the 4th generation Trans Am WS6 was fairly true to the original name. The classic Trans Ams with the WS6 option came with the beefier suspension and larger wheels (among other things). Probably the main reason they put the SS logo on the Camaro was because they didn't want to make up some new monicker. The SS sounds nicer than the Berlinetta or the LT anyways, lol.

I don't really care much either way. I only inject my thoughts into these posts because , well, the SS argument is so much easier to make, z28 only holds water if you are sentimental about the badge...

edit, reread my post, man i really just don't care, roflmao.
True, the SS is the easier arguement. But I like a challenge! Also, the badge is sentimental for a reason, not 'just cause'. There's a lot of racing history behind the Z28 monicker.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by NewbieWar
sorry to take it out of context... but man the 4th gen seats are nice!

they are soo comfy... my friend drove my other friends 94 camaro z28 about 100 miles, then the next day he drove his SL500 Mercedies the same 100, and he had to give it up to the seats in the camaro made for a more comfortable ride...

similarly... a previous customer of mine, had a dodge van, replaced the dodge seats with camaro 4th gen seats... after he told me i realized the two tone color and realized it lol... and sure enough they were comfy in there too...
lol I'm sorry for continuing the out of context posting but I completely agree with you that 4th gen camaro FRONT seats are extremely comfy. On the other hand the BACK seats are living hell, literally.