2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Pontiac G8 ST cancelled, is the Camaro next? (NO!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by WhiteHawk
Somebody change the title of this thread! GM doesn't need any rumors going around.
Done. I also added a note to the post.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Z28CamaroPower!
Why? You're just one person - one person wouldn't help determine whether a manufacturer keeps producing a vehicle or not. According to Wikipedia (if what is on there is correct), the last car/truck combo, the Subara Baja, sold only 30,000 over four and a half years (that's 6666.66 units per year). Assuming the same amount of buyers bought an ST each year, say 7000 (on the high side) and you add in El Camino buffs, GM fans, and people who want a RWD car/truck, you might have 10000 units sold per year. That doesn't seem to me (I could be wrong) to be a model that GM would stay with for more than a few years.
i agree. there isnt much of a need for that "cruck"
Old 01-09-2009, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Z28CamaroPower!
Why? You're just one person - one person wouldn't help determine whether a manufacturer keeps producing a vehicle or not. According to Wikipedia (if what is on there is correct), the last car/truck combo, the Subara Baja, sold only 30,000 over four and a half years (that's 6666.66 units per year). Assuming the same amount of buyers bought an ST each year, say 7000 (on the high side) and you add in El Camino buffs, GM fans, and people who want a RWD car/truck, you might have 10000 units sold per year. That doesn't seem to me (I could be wrong) to be a model that GM would stay with for more than a few years.
I think if they did it correctly for the niche vehicle it is, it could have been easily done since they are already building them in Australia as the Holden Ute. Aren't the G8s being built there and shipped here? So a little re-badging and minimal advertising, I don't see where it would have been a cost issue, just import a limited number.
Clyde
Old 01-09-2009, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by wildpaws
I think if they did it correctly for the niche vehicle it is, it could have been easily done since they are already building them in Australia as the Holden Ute. Aren't the G8s being built there and shipped here? So a little re-badging and minimal advertising, I don't see where it would have been a cost issue, just import a limited number.
Clyde

I guess you'd need to take a look at bottom line dollars. It'll cost something to bring the ST to Pontiac dealers. It'll cost something to market it. And it'll cost something to put cash on the hood of the 80% of them that wouldn't sell.

The ST's case, I'd expect, might have been rosier, if G8 sales were better.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
I guess you'd need to take a look at bottom line dollars. It'll cost something to bring the ST to Pontiac dealers. It'll cost something to market it. And it'll cost something to put cash on the hood of the 80% of them that wouldn't sell.

not to mention how much it would have cost to ship a boatload of those over here. thats not cheap.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:30 PM

How about producing less GXP's if the number of available LS3 engines will be a constraining factor in the number of SS Camaros tha can be produced? They have guaranteed sales for the LS3 Camaros with all the pre orders that were placed.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:46 PM

I just don't see where the savings is. They are already designing, engineering, and building the car for Australia. The marketting VP said it would save dealer "floorplan space"! Give me a break.

-Geoff
Old 01-09-2009, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever

Yes it would have cost something to bring the ST to Pontiac dealers, I never said it would not. What I did say was limited numbers of the ST, don't ship them over here thinking you'd sell 50k units a year, just bring over a few hundred/thousand and see how they sell, limited investment needed as they're already being made under the Holden badge. It's completely different than developing a whole new product and supporting all of the R&D, etc., re-badge some Utes and feel out the market. That would certainly have been IMHO a wiser decision than some of the models they have re-badged and shipped thousands and thousands of them here to dry rot on dealer lots. Especially since they had already announced that the ST was coming. But, I don't run GM, so I can't make their decisions for them, maybe they were right to cancel the ST, maybe not, we'll never know for sure.
Clyde