2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Open Letter from Camaro Chief Engineer Al Oppenheiser RE: the 650-horsepower GT500

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 08:25 AM

Re: Open Letter from Camaro Chief Engineer Al Oppenheiser RE: the 650-horsepower GT50

Sounds like he is trying to keep future ZL1 buyers from jumping ship, although it's funny how he is selective with his words like "The Mustang has been playing catch up since the moment the fifth-gen Camaro arrived in 2009" well shouldn't they have to play catch up considering Chevy didn't have anything to compete with the Mustang for 7 years, I would hope you would have something better than a 4 year old design. Let's see, Mustang V6 vs Camaro V6 - Mustang is faster and handles better, Mustang Gt vs SS - Gt is faster and handles better, L99 auto vs GT auto - GT is faster and doesn't penalize you for buying the auto with less hp and a crappy AFM exhaust. Performance gears form the factory SS none GT has 3 of them. Factory aftermarket support GM nothing, Ford has a tune, handling packages, intakes, and a supercharger kit with warranty. GT500 650 hp 200mph top speed and no gas guzzler tax - ZL1 580 hp 184mph top speed and a $1300 gas guzzler tax. Looks like Ford is winning in my book.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:33 AM

Re: Open Letter from Camaro Chief Engineer Al Oppenheiser RE: the 650-horsepower GT50

Originally Posted by STOCK1SC
Looks like Ford is winning in my book.
Yea, except the one that counts - sales.

-Geoff
Old 11-17-2011, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteHawk
Yea, except the one that counts - sales.

-Geoff
Yeah I always heard that excuse form Mustang guys back in the LS1 days, it's sad that is our only retort these days. All the ring fanboys can take a look at this concerning the 2013 GT500, I'm just happy we live in a time where hp has finally come back http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/dr...d-shelby-gt500
Old 11-17-2011, 09:05 AM
Admin Emeritus

Sounds like he is trying to keep future ZL1 buyers from jumping ship, although it's funny how he is selective with his words like "The Mustang has been playing catch up since the moment the fifth-gen Camaro arrived in 2009" well shouldn't they have to play catch up considering Chevy didn't have anything to compete with the Mustang for 7 years
"Since 2009" does not equal "the 7 years before 2009". It means in the past 3 years since both cars were available. The car was revealed as a concept in 2006. That gave Ford plenty of time to ramp up since they are very good at retooling to meet competition. Case in point with the upcoming GT500.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by JasonD
"Since 2009" does not equal "the 7 years before 2009". It means in the past 3 years since both cars were available. The car was revealed as a concept in 2006. That gave Ford plenty of time to ramp up since they are very good at retooling to meet competition. Case in point with the upcoming GT500.
Yes it was a concept that wasn't green lit and possibly wasn't going to be. The point is Ford was making Mustangs and selling them from 2003 til 2008 without any Camaro to have to deal with and still came out with the GT500 during that time even though there was no competition to have to worry about.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Update from Jalopnik:

Muscle Car Fight, Ford Takes Bat, Goes Home

After Ford brought out its potentially ZL1-killing 650-horsepower 2013 Shelby GT500, Joel Ewanick, global vice president of GM marketing, decided to drop the gauntlet down at the feet of Ford. "We should take a Camaro, Ford brings a Mustang, we each pick our drivers, and see who has the best time on the Nürburgring," Ewanick said to Scott Burgess of the Detroit News. Jim Farley, who heads Ford's global marketing, wasn't taking the bait despite professed claims to a desire to "take a bat" to Chevrolet. "I wish we could," he said, after hearing about Ewanick's challenge. "Who wouldn't want to do that?" Huh. Sounds to us like maybe Ford's chicken. Hey, Farley — bawk-bawk-bawk-BA-****!
I'll be a little dissapointed if this doesn't end up happening.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:10 AM

"Even with the 100-hp increase, the 2013 GT500 will still not match the technology and sophistication of the 2012 Camaro ZL1."

Notice how he didn't say performance...this letter to me is an indication that there's some nervousness within GM. He has to say stuff like this whether he believes it or not.

To think that the new GT500 isn't going to outperform the ZL1 is foolish at best. IRS and MRC isn't quite the end all, be all answer to performance. SS vs. GT shows just how close this race really is going to play out.

With that said it is very exciting times for the pony car segment. Can't wait to see what GM does next (i.e. Corvette and Camaro!)
Old 11-17-2011, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
great letter.im not worried 1 bit about the gt500 gaining any ground on the ZL1. more power is not always better. ford will learn eventually.

Because 580 is perfectly manageable whereas 650 is not?

I can't think of a single situation where more power is not always better. Except if you're the one with less power.

This Nurburgring crap kills me. We have no track and more importantly no roads here that are remotely like that place. If you're going to throw the gauntlet down then take it to Laguna Seca or Willow Springs or Road America.
You know, a place where Americans might actually take these cars.

Last edited by 95firehawk; 11-17-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 95firehawk
"Even with the 100-hp increase, the 2013 GT500 will still not match the technology and sophistication of the 2012 Camaro ZL1."

Notice how he didn't say performance...this letter to me is an indication that there's some nervousness within GM. He has to say stuff like this whether he believes it or not.

To think that the new GT500 isn't going to outperform the ZL1 is foolish at best. IRS and MRC isn't quite the end all, be all answer to performance. SS vs. GT shows just how close this race really is going to play out.

With that said it is very exciting times for the pony car segment. Can't wait to see what GM does next (i.e. Corvette and Camaro!)
See my post above. Sounds like GM is confident enough in the ZL1s ability to throw down a challenge like they have done.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by 95firehawk
Because 580 is perfectly manageable whereas 650 is not?

I can't think of a single situation where more power is not always better. Except if you're the one with less power.

This Nurburgring crap kills me. We have no track and more importantly no roads here that are remotely like that place. If you're going to throw the gauntlet down then take it to Laguna Seca or Willow Springs or Road America.
You know, a place where Americans might actually take these cars.
Amen I love Camaro's as much as the next guy and have owned several but some of the people on here are so brand loyal they can't see other manufacturers are putting out stuff just as good if not better. I'm sick of hearing about this Nurbinburg however you spell it like your car is sh*t if it hasn't been tested there or something. I'm never gonna drive on it or probably any road track in my life. I put my money on what is the best performance I can buy with the amount of money I am spending, that is why I have owned LS1's, SRT-4's, Cobalt SS's, Mustang GT's, ect....You win my money by building the better car not because you have a bowtie or a blue oval on it. This place is starting to feel like the Camaro5 forums with the blind fanaticism unable to accept alternatives.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by 95 Z/28 LT1
See my post above. Sounds like GM is confident enough in the ZL1s ability to throw down a challenge like they have done.
I would even ppv to see that!
Old 11-17-2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by CamaroScotty
I'll put my money on Jeff Bucknum in a ZL1 over Carl Edwards in a Mustang at Mid-Ohio ANY DAY!
I think a more fair assessment would be me in a ZL1 over Jeff in a GT500....
Old 11-17-2011, 01:57 PM
BBOMG Organizer

Originally Posted by Banshee
I think a more fair assessment would be me in a ZL1 over Jeff in a GT500....
Oh hell that's funny!!!
Old 11-17-2011, 04:41 PM

I'm sick of hearing about this Nurbinburg however you spell it like your car is sh*t if it hasn't been tested there or something.
The problem with that way of thinking is the all the most respected European sportscar manufacturers test at Nurburgring, especially the German manufacturers, Porsche, Mercedes and BMW. GM first tested there to prove the Cadillac CTS-V and Corvette were up to snuff with the competition. Its like land speed records at Bonneville, if you don't perform well at the ring, you're going to get blasted in all the top car rags. Sure straight line acceleration is important, however its mainly the top measuring stick here in the States, whereas everywhere else, skid pad and road course performance is more important. After all, real roads have curves, do they not?

Some people would rather sacrifice handling and real world performance to be able to bench-race that their car has the most horsepower and quicker quarter mile time. However most of us aren't drag racers and will never have their cars on the track.

Either way, both cars have their fans and some people prefer different flavors of ice cream. In the end, its still ice cream and each has its pluses and minuses. I for one would rather have a Camaro that handles well. But that's just me. In my mind, Camaro will always be superior to Mustang, regardless of what the numbers say, or what someone else's opinion is.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:01 AM

You can't take Fords not taking GM up on their challenge as meaning anything. It is company policy. They NEVER take ANYONE up on a challenge like this.

GM knows this. It is a publicity play, pure and simple.

BTW, that ZL1 from "the Ring," had a 12-16 point rollcage in it. It is hardly indicative of what a bone stock ZL1 would achieve. I will say, however, that GM marketing played that one great.

Quick Reply: Open Letter from Camaro Chief Engineer Al Oppenheiser RE: the 650-horsepower GT500