2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ok, so we've seen the new Camaro, is there any talk of a new firebird???

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 10:39 AM

Re: ok, so we've seen the new Camaro, is there any talk of a new firebird???

A firebird based on the same platform would be great. A firebird with pontiac specific options would be much better. If you are going to go back in time then do it right, make the cars compete with each other instead of being relplicas. Cover all the bases so that in the long run you have the entire segment sewn up.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:46 AM

I'm not sure I would like a Firebird on the same platfom as the Camaro. Would it be an 1st Gen updated with Gen III stealth technology like the Camaro? I'm asking how how do you have to make the beltline, do you have to use such a flat hood, etc?
Old 01-12-2006, 10:59 AM

IF there might be a case for a Firebird, (or a GTO for that matter), GM would really need to explore new formulas for these vehicles, in order for them to be viable. And that's something that people on this site reject immediately.
Honestly, I see no reason or need for a Firebird which is no different than a Camaro other than the arrowhead on the grill. And Camaro doesn't need it's resources siphoned off for one either.

Maybe...just maybe....Firebird can be something along the lines of Mazda's Kabura concept. http://www.autoweek.com/files/specia...a/pages/01.htm
Or maybe not, but it's time to think out of the box.

Flame away, I'm ready to defend my position....

Last edited by Z284ever; 01-12-2006 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:25 AM

I love my Firebird and excepting the first gens IMO Firebirds have always looked better. With that being said, I seriously doubt we will see a Firebird again. The overhead required to produce it not to mention the tooling for the new body/interior/etc would wreck profits off the Camaro in a time when GM needs that money badly. As much as I would like to see a Firebird back again, I think I would rather see the F-body (Camaro) stay this time.

Although I will say this, they better damn well announce they will be making a Firebird when (if) the Camaro goes into production, because I'm going to be pissed if I buy a new Camaro and 2 years later there's a new Firebird out
Old 01-12-2006, 11:28 AM

lets just be happy with 1 car for now...let's not get greedy. I've always liked the 'birds, but lets get 1 back first and take it from there.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:29 AM

Here's the problem with manufacturing a Firebird to go along with the Camaro: cost. Putting out a Firebird would segment the market for the GM midsize muscle car. Since the Firebird would have it's own interior and own sheet metal it would raise cost while taking away the bulk that would make the Camaro so affordable. New sheet metal needs new molds, which means millions in increased cost.

Bob Lutz said that the Camaro needs to sell 100,000-150,000 to be profitable. Those numbrs would go up with a Firebird thrown in there unless the skimped on other things that the Camaro really needs to have to create a solid image.

Pontiac is keeping the GTO. The future GTO should share platform with the next RWD Impala, the RWD Monte Carlo or Chevelle, and the big Pontiac RWD sedan. The only way Pontiac will get a RWD midsize coupe is if the G6 goes RWD, and I really want Pontiac to be all RWD.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:33 AM

The firebird will be out in 08 tell your friends.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:53 PM

Old 01-12-2006, 04:54 PM

Old 01-12-2006, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by NikiVee
Flippin' sweet photochop!!
Old 01-12-2006, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by magius231
Although I will say this, they better damn well announce they will be making a Firebird when (if) the Camaro goes into production, because I'm going to be pissed if I buy a new Camaro and 2 years later there's a new Firebird out
Same here.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:11 PM

I actually like the '77 style front grafted onto the new Camaro.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:08 PM

I hate to say it but I doubt there will be a new Firebird. And its not because of anything more than Wall Street and GM's model overlapping. For GM to come out with a new Camaro and try to sell 150K total. Or try to sell 90K Camaro and 60K Firebirds/TA just doesn't make teh best business sence. Especiallt because there would need to be quite a bit more design and styling costs to create another car from the Camaro. If this was 1966 instead of 2006 and GM had 45% market share, Bill Mitchel and Bunkie Knudson running the show we'd have a Firebird and a hopped up GTO. But in todays market GM needs to make the best business case.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:15 PM

You all talk about business cases, and product overlap, as reasons not to build a Firebird, what about GMs current duplicitous product line? ie Solstice/Sky Trailblazer/Envoy/Rainer, the Tahoe/Yukon, Equinox/Torrent, and I could go on and on, there is plenty of duplication in GMs lineup right now, so, what's the "real" reason for not building a Firebird?
Old 01-13-2006, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by RamAirBird2k2
You all talk about business cases, and product overlap, as reasons not to build a Firebird, what about GMs current duplicitous product line? ie Solstice/Sky Trailblazer/Envoy/Rainer, the Tahoe/Yukon, Equinox/Torrent, and I could go on and on, there is plenty of duplication in GMs lineup right now, so, what's the "real" reason for not building a Firebird?
Thats actually the reason. Too many models and too much overlap is exactly what your listing. GM is being pressured to stop building duplicate models. I don't necessarily agree with it either but its going to happen. THink of Pontiac's whole line up save the GTO is shared with other brands, Buick too. GM really has only Chevy and Cadillac and the GTO everything else is shared. This is why Oldsmobile is gone. What Wall Street wants is GM to have like 3 brands and just sell select vehicles on select platforms, like the more profitable Japanese brands. Now I don't like it and don't want it, I'd love to have a Firebird because look at the concept people have shopped just on this site. Think of the fun GM could have with it.
But I know the reality of GM and its current position in the market. And these are the ugly decisions that are made behind closed doors. I heard from a solid source that Bob Lutz approves quite a bit more models for porduction and then when they go before Rick Wagoner the list is narrowed quite a bit.
SO I'm not saying a Firebird won't happen but I think the chips are stacked against it.

Quick Reply: ok, so we've seen the new Camaro, is there any talk of a new firebird???