2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

ok, so we've seen the new Camaro, is there any talk of a new firebird???

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 10:54 PM

ok, so we've seen the new Camaro, is there any talk of a new firebird???

The Camaro concept is obviously bad ***, but has anybody heard any speculation as to if or when a new Firebird or (gulp...) Trans Am concept will roll? What do you think it would look like??? It would seem odd to me that they would resurrect the one and not the other..........
Old 01-11-2006, 11:17 PM

Re: ok, so we've seen the new Camaro, is there any talk of a new firebird???

I've heard quite a bit that there wont be one... And not like there wasnt going to be a Camaro, but like there really wont be a Firebird. As in there will not be a Firebird. I think if there was any chance of it happening, someone would have hinted towards it like was done with the Camaro for years. It would seem odd that that is how they would do it, until you look at it from a financial and business stand point. That at least makes it clear to me... But what do I know?
Old 01-12-2006, 12:21 AM

Bob Lutz hates Firebird people.

Old 01-12-2006, 12:25 AM

Ok, just put this in your 'grasping at straws' file, because I don't think a Firebird is coming....

But I asked the question in Detroit. They said "never say never".

Last edited by Z284ever; 01-12-2006 at 12:34 AM.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
Bob Lutz hates Firebird people.

George Bush doesnt like Black people
Old 01-12-2006, 02:13 AM

why have 2 different cars on two different platforms...

why have a gto and a camaro, when the GTO was always much larger...

camaro and firebird are a pair you cant have one with out the other...

the GTO needs to go and be replaced by the firebird...
Old 01-12-2006, 02:43 AM

If the chassis and your manufacturing ability allows for two cars to share a platform but be fairly different in size and market niche why not do that, ala making a Camaro and a larger GTO on the single new platform like some current rumors? Why build two nearly identical cars like the 'Bird and Camaro that will basically compete with one another??

Sucks for the Firebird fans but makes sense to me to build the Camaro and a significantly different car like the GTO...
Old 01-12-2006, 09:06 AM

Again, I'm gonna toss out my idea of making Pontiac's version of the Camaro called GTA. Ditch the GTO, bring back the Camaro's sister car, make it a V8 only car. Myself, I would love to see a Firebird and as I was told by a certian man from Mars in Atlanta 05... "never say never". However, I don't think the current leadership at GM wants that.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:12 AM

Ok, you've got 5 minutes with Rick Wagoner. Make the case that a Firebird is worth the money, in a stagnant coupe market, which will now have a Mustang, Challenger, Camaro...and possibly a Caddy coupe.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Ok, you've got 5 minutes with Rick Wagoner. Make the case that a Firebird is worth the money, in a stagnant coupe market, which will now have a Mustang, Challenger, Camaro...and possibly a Caddy coupe.
My biggest thing is....... that market scenario doesn't contain a non-retro car.....though if the Caddy comes out, that would change, but I would assume the Caddy would be priced above all others, putting it out of the range of many would-be Firebird buyers. (Granted, Challenger, Mustang, and Camaro are varying degrees of retro, but they are all retro flavored non-the-less)

The platform and mechanicals will be there, it's just a matter of a fresh new body and interior... not cheap to do, but not as expensive as a whole new car... it also would spread platform costs out across yet another vehicle, presumably helping all of the platform cars, cost-wise.

Finally, I believe GTO and Firebird could ride on the same platform, and be totally different in character and size. Case in point: CTS and STS both ride on Sigma.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:18 AM
Bert02SS

The sad fact is that the Firebird has always sucked sales from the Camaro, not the Mustang. I bought a T/A new in '85. My only other consideration was the Z/28. So, if you want a hot selling car, just stick with one brand, Camaro, and do it right!

Old 01-12-2006, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Ok, just put this in your 'grasping at straws' file, because I don't think a Firebird is coming....

But I asked the question in Detroit. They said "never say never".
I heard that same comment, and also heard a comment, as did Chris 96 WS6, from one of our good friends of the board, the FbodyFather himself, that remember back when the Camaro first debuted, the Pontiac sister car was ok'd and out w/ a very short time frame for it to be ok'd and on the market, AFTER THE CAMARO DEBUTED. Thats not a yes IMO, but its not a no either. I personally do not expect one to come to market, but no one is sayings its completely dead either.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Bert02SS
The sad fact is that the Firebird has always sucked sales from the Camaro, not the Mustang. I bought a T/A new in '85. My only other consideration was the Z/28. So, if you want a hot selling car, just stick with one brand, Camaro, and do it right!
What do you mean sucked sales? The money still goes into GMs pockets. BTW... nto trying to be dick, just curious what that really means.

Me, I have always like both cars and it seemed to me like the firebird was a little bit pricier. The point of having two cars (surely) that are the same mechanically but look quite different is surely to sell more... Firebird appeals to those who don't like The Camaro's (arguably) less in your face styling and vice-versa.

Not saying there is a business case (though I wish there was) and I don't see the bird comming back.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:32 AM

with GM in the position it is in now money wise, I wouldnt hold your breath. 10 years ago yes, but its not going to happen.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Z28Marcus
Firebird appeals to those who don't like The Camaro's (arguably) less in your face styling and vice-versa.
I think they took care of that problem in the concept! If it was any more aggressive, I'd probably be afraid to look at it

As far as the possibility of the bird comming back, it all depends on well the camaro is recieved and is selling a few years into production.

Having two different cars on the same chassis still requires different interiors, different wiring harnesses, different body components as well as seperate marketing stratagies, support staff and administrative resources.

All this overhead eats into margins. The Camaro has a lot higher likelyhood of success if it doesn't have to compete with a sister car.

Last edited by RhinoSS; 01-12-2006 at 10:40 AM.

Quick Reply: ok, so we've seen the new Camaro, is there any talk of a new firebird???