2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What 2 colors should be gone?
White
22.22%
Black
1.85%
Red
7.41%
Orange
9.26%
Yellow
19.44%
Red Jewel
29.63%
Silver
7.41%
Cyber Gray
18.52%
Imperial Blue
10.19%
Aqua Blue
55.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Ok, I'll do it....COLOR POLL FOR THE SS

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 05:57 PM

Ok, I'll do it....COLOR POLL FOR THE SS

In Fbods words....
Originally Posted by Fbodfather
Upset that we aren't offering Imperial Blue or Aqua Blue Metallic on the SS? The reason is 'deproliferation' -- meaning reduction in parts and build combinations. I don't agree with the decision - and I don't think a bunch of you do either -- so I suggest that someone start a thread about it -- keep it clean, everyone - but tell us what you think!!! We DO listen - and we are trying to get at least Imperial Blue released on the SS.......(there are color keyed parts that impact overall part counts...) You as a customer couldn't care less about part number counts -- but unfortunately we must.....

Start the thread!!!
So the poll is, if GM is hellbent on limiting SS colors to 8, which 2 colors should be axed? Let the Camaro enthusiasts (SS buyers on GM's dealer worksheet) voice their opinions....
Old 10-11-2008, 06:05 PM

The reason is 'deproliferation' -- meaning reduction in parts and build combinations

I'll be the first one to say I don't understand this. For a car that doesn't even start production for 4 months, they're already trying to reduce the build combinations? What I really don't get is, what is really specific, painted part wise, to the SS? The front fascia is the only thing I can think of. So are they really worried about getting stuck w/ some extra IBM or ABM front clips? Is that what's keeping it off the order sheet for the SS? I surely hope not. As to which colors to limit, why not look at Mustang or Corvette sales and see what doesn't sell (orange and yellow) and what sells moderately well (blue) and base their decision on that?
Old 10-11-2008, 06:19 PM

I really don't understand the auto companies attitudes in this regard. I do understand the desire to limit build combinations, but if it was possible to have around 30 colors available on the '69, in the days before computers and automation, I would think that today's technology would enable us to really personalize the car.

Here is what I would do. Borrow a page from BMW (maybe MB does this too, I don't know). Offer maybe 3 colors at standard price. A $500 increase (or some number) gets you the other 7. For another $1500, you can have your choice of whatever that particular factory offers on other models. If this isn't gravy, I really don't know what is. Since the colors are already being shot in that factory, you wouldn't even have to clean out a paint gun on a paint robot. The beauty here is that you would be assured no oddball, hard to get rid of combos would exist, since you are already offering them on other models.

And as far as colorized trim items, what in blazes is color specific on an SS that would limit the color availability????

Personally, I'm really sick of white, black, garish orange-red, 2 or 3 shades of gray or silver, and 1 or 2 real colors. This is one area a domestic manufacturer could shine in. Personalization! They are really missing the boat here.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by dfmoeller
I really don't understand the auto companies attitudes in this regard. I do understand the desire to limit build combinations, but if it was possible to have around 30 colors available on the '69, in the days before computers and automation, I would think that today's technology would enable us to really personalize the car.

Here is what I would do. Borrow a page from BMW (maybe MB does this too, I don't know). Offer maybe 3 colors at standard price. A $500 increase (or some number) gets you the other 7. For another $1500, you can have your choice of whatever that particular factory offers on other models. If this isn't gravy, I really don't know what is. Since the colors are already being shot in that factory, you wouldn't even have to clean out a paint gun on a paint robot. The beauty here is that you would be assured no oddball, hard to get rid of combos would exist, since you are already offering them on other models.

Personally, I'm really sick of white, black, garish orange-red, 2 or 3 shades of gray or silver, and 1 or 2 real colors. This is one area a domestic manufacturer could shine in. Personalization! They are really missing the boat here.

We are in a new world. 1969 was a long time ago. The fact is the most profitable car companies (Toyota and Honda) offer very few combinations in most of their mainstream products. Unless you are talking about a Lexus you generally get a choice of trim level, with or without nav and color. Keeping the parts count down and keeping it simple makes the car more affordable and keeps quality easier to obtain. If GM were to do as you suggest and offer more colors at a premium I think there would be a ton of posts here complaining about that fact. I am not saying that I would not like to see blue, heck imperial blue was my first choice, I am just saying that we should consider the big picture. We all want high quality and low price, this means some degree of compromise. As far as the customization argument, I would like to see an example of one mass produced car in the past 20 years that has offered the kind of flexibility that you are asking for.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:57 PM

Orange and yellow...

White, black, red, tans, and silver are your main colors that ANY manufacturer will sell because they are your standard colors.. Blue comes in next and then the wacky colors like yellow and specialty shades...

PS - I am personally getting white..
Old 10-11-2008, 08:49 PM

I say get rid of the redundant colors red jewel and aqua blue. Although aqua blue might be a nice color in the flesh I am basing my judgment on the color charts, examples GM has shown us in printed material. Aqua blue in the printed material GM has shown us thus far looks too much like teal. However, again it may be a great color when seen in person, just don't know 100% till I see it in the flesh.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

No love for red jewel?

Looks badass to me.

Having not seen any of them in person, it's hard to say. I voted white (boring) and aqua. I think I'll actually like aqua in person, but the rest of the color options seem somehow more "important".

Imperial Blue Metallic is by far my favorite. If they build an Imperial Blue RS/SS, that's the 5th gen I'd buy. If they don't... well, who knows?
Old 10-11-2008, 11:05 PM

PV6 Camaros come in white with Matte Gray racing stripes.

Ima change the name ofr PV6 sooner or later, got an idea or two in my head. lol.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:18 PM

I voted for white & red jewel...just like the upper levels of the Vette. I actually want aqua blue, but seem to be in the vast minority...
Old 10-12-2008, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by dfmoeller

And as far as colorized trim items, what in blazes is color specific on an SS that would limit the color availability????

I agree totally. In this day and age they should be able to offer up this car in any color they have in their inventory. Like mentioned in another post, GM used to offer a variety of special paint colors for the trucks, as long as the they were able to get 10 painted in that color. Harley also does this if your order your bike. You can pick from 100's maybe 1000's od colors for your bike from the factory.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:42 PM

Assuming they do have to cut two colors for the bean counters, the choice is very difficult. Any color you drop will upset some percentage of your buying public. Black, white, silver, gray, and the reds are likely the most popular colors on the car, so eliminating any of those will likely upset the most people. Thanks to Transformers it's a guaranty that yellow will be more popular than usual (with black stripes no doubt). Even though the orange isn't the same as the orange on the convertible concept car, I'm still fairly certain there will be plenty of people who want that basic look, so orange needs to stay (with the cyber gray stripes no doubt). That leaves the blues.

All that being said, I'd probably cut the Aqua Blue and the white (but only because white screams fleet car to me). If white is just too popular according to market research then the Red Jewel Tintcoat would be next on the list (although I really like that color and would consider it if I didn't already have a car and truck that were very close to that color).

What I would like to see is Chevy do some limited production runs of an extra color or two that cost more. At initial launch maybe they could offer Imperial Blue at a premium and then drop it for a few months. Later in the year they could offer Aqua Blue (or one of the other common GM blues) for a while, again at a premium. They would basically tack on the cost of having one off parts runs on the special parts used on the SS.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:23 PM

I'd dump aqua, imperial and red jewel from the SS if they added jetstream blue for all the Camaros.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
No love for red jewel?
I've seen it in person on several vehicles..I've gone back and forth about it, but it boils done to this: it's nothing special for a "premium" color. It looks really good in direct sunlight but, in any other light, just looks like a plain (if somewhat dull) slightly darker red. Just not worth the extra money to me. Just my opinion.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:30 PM

Jetstream!!!

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS
I'd dump aqua, imperial and red jewel from the SS if they added jetstream blue for all the Camaros.
AMEN...Jetstream PLEASE!!!
Old 10-12-2008, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS
Yeah, that'd work too! Or add the blue that's on the G8's (stryker blue?)

Quick Reply: Ok, I'll do it....COLOR POLL FOR THE SS