2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

NEWS: NurburBring It On: 2010 Camaro Cuts a Hot Lap

Old 07-23-2008, 09:51 PM
2010 Camaro Moderator/Disciple

Frankly, I'm surprised Houlihan went on the record with that number.

I spoke with the guy who rode in the passenger seat. Suspension wasnt quite done yet.... and one little thing happened too...

They hit SNOW SQUALS on one end of the track. Go back and look at some of the pictures that surfaced the day they were there. The ground is wet.

8:20 was respectable, but there's a bit more there for sure.....
Old 07-23-2008, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisL
Frankly, I'm surprised Houlihan went on the record with that number.

I spoke with the guy who rode in the passenger seat. Suspension wasnt quite done yet.... and one little thing happened too...

They hit SNOW SQUALS on one end of the track. Go back and look at some of the pictures that surfaced the day they were there. The ground is wet.

8:20 was respectable, but there's a bit more there for sure.....
Probably because 10 out of 10 people who read this on the net or in mags have no chance to run such a time and if they even get to at the Ring they'll end up scratching their heads at the end. Only question is if that will be next to a wrecked car or after a 9+ min run. Autocrossers too...

I have a feeling that like the conservative 1/4 mile times GM has released this too has much more in it.
But at the Ring they need to go for broke and I hope that they take some time to put the Camaro SS time in better company.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:47 AM

Maybe the ring run will be a bit faster than the production car?
Maybe after driving it a while they will think the suspension is too harsh or the cam needs to be less aggressive. Or maybe they will sacrifice road grip and go with a more compliant tire.
Just because they aren't done with it doesn't mean it will end up being any quicker.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by skorpion317
It's also quicker than:

It's also almost as fast as a C5 Z06 (~2 seconds), and faster than a regular C5.
Uhhh....just for the record the C5 Z06 ran the Ring in 7:56. It was the first Chevy to run the Ring in under 8:00 minutes.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:51 AM

Let's also keep in mind the difference in starting format ... standing start vs. running start (all the previous 'Vette times were done the "old way", right? ... with the exception of the ZR1). How did the Camaro start?

I seriously doubt that a ~3860 lb Camaro can out-perform a ~3200 lb C5 Corvette, even if it is "only" ~345 HP .
Old 12-29-2008, 08:55 AM

Thought I would bring this one back from its slumber.

When should we be expecting some new Ring times with the production setup and perhaps a professional driver like was done with the C6 Z06?

A low 8 minute time would work very nicely to get the buzz and enthusiasm going about a car where all I hear about these days are how heavy it is and how ugly the interior is. A low 8 minute lap would surely quiet the peanut gallery and I think the Camaro can do it.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:02 PM

I doubt they will be back anytime soon. With their financial situation as it is, they should stick to their domestic proving grounds. The media might also jump on them for blowing money to test niche cars at an overseas track.

Just my opinion, but I don't expect anything to be tested over there for years to come.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:55 AM

None the less ZZtop's got a good point. GM has understandably been concerned with it's current financial situation, but somehow still manages to pump up publicity on an even more niche car, the Pontiac G8 GXP, back in November, right in the middle of asking Congress for the loan. The Camaro is considerably more popular and has a far greater value starting nearly 10K less than the niche GXP with quite literally the exact same engine and HP/TQ specs, and last time I checked the GXP is coming out at the same time as the Camaro. So my question is why pump up an overbloated, overweight car that the Camaro can outperform and due to pricing most undoubtedly outsell?

Shrewd business savy? Or simply overlooking the potential for massive sales the Camaro has?

I say send 10 production Camaro's over to Europe for a goodwill tour (in spring) letting the automotive press across the pond get behind the wheel on road trips across Europe to drum up support for this amazing car (specifically a trip to Nurburgring with Sabine Schmitz behind the wheel). Also they should send a couple right hand drive models over to Top Gear for testing, a V6 and the SS, just to hear Clarkson bemoan the interior yet be surprised at how well the Camaro goes around corners, sideways!

GM was more than happy to promote this car all the way up until around August and then switched focus onto its Chevy Volt and Cruze cars to focus on more fuel efficient cars. That's great, but leaving the Camaro high and dry without promotion, advertising, or anything accept for a couple of guest appearances on My Own Worst Enemy isn't forwarding the Camaro's successful future IMHO.

Frankly right now what GM needs to do for the Camaro is reverse it's previous foolish decision to NOT advertise during the Super Bowl, and go ahead and put together an awesome heritage ad for the Camaro, drawing parallels between the 1st gen and the new 5th gen cars. Don't get me wrong, the Camaro WILL sell regardless, but reminding consumers that have been in a malaise over the last few months that the Camaro is still coming out and just how great a car it's going to be might, ya know, be a good thing for GM.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Logansneo
None the less ZZtop's got a good point. GM has understandably been concerned with it's current financial situation, but somehow still manages to pump up publicity on an even more niche car, the Pontiac G8 GXP, back in November, right in the middle of asking Congress for the loan. The Camaro is considerably more popular and has a far greater value starting nearly 10K less than the niche GXP with quite literally the exact same engine and HP/TQ specs, and last time I checked the GXP is coming out at the same time as the Camaro. So my question is why pump up an overbloated, overweight car that the Camaro can outperform and due to pricing most undoubtedly outsell?

Shrewd business savy? Or simply overlooking the potential for massive sales the Camaro has?

I say send 10 production Camaro's over to Europe for a goodwill tour (in spring) letting the automotive press across the pond get behind the wheel on road trips across Europe to drum up support for this amazing car (specifically a trip to Nurburgring with Sabine Schmitz behind the wheel). Also they should send a couple right hand drive models over to Top Gear for testing, a V6 and the SS, just to hear Clarkson bemoan the interior yet be surprised at how well the Camaro goes around corners, sideways!

GM was more than happy to promote this car all the way up until around August and then switched focus onto its Chevy Volt and Cruze cars to focus on more fuel efficient cars. That's great, but leaving the Camaro high and dry without promotion, advertising, or anything accept for a couple of guest appearances on My Own Worst Enemy isn't forwarding the Camaro's successful future IMHO.

Frankly right now what GM needs to do for the Camaro is reverse it's previous foolish decision to NOT advertise during the Super Bowl, and go ahead and put together an awesome heritage ad for the Camaro, drawing parallels between the 1st gen and the new 5th gen cars. Don't get me wrong, the Camaro WILL sell regardless, but reminding consumers that have been in a malaise over the last few months that the Camaro is still coming out and just how great a car it's going to be might, ya know, be a good thing for GM.
Yeah, but you're talking a few MILLION dollars for ONE spot in the superbowl. Sure it's the largest viewing audience at a shot, but a few million dollars is a lot to GM right now.