2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEWS: GM Reportedly Calls "Game On" For Supercharged 550HP Camaro Z/28

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 10:42 AM
Prominent Member

Originally Posted by SSbaby
2lane69

It's pointless arguing with someone who won't listen.

Goooolley, universal pictures and some exaggerations - I never knew a picture showing relative positions was the definitive measure for weight and performance.

Ohhh, these amateur would be racers!
Let's see what you do on the weekends?
Old 09-22-2009, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Doug Harden
So they should always play 'follow' the leader'?!? Let Ford decide their product planning?!?

Answer my questions....

Dumbest waste of limited resources I've seen......
GM has let Ford do their product planning since the Camaro was invented...so why change now?

It's typical knee-jerk reaction. Ford's product 'X' is selling like hotcakes, we'd better get on that bandwagon.

I'm confident GM will eventually build a lightweight, quick and excellent handling version of the Camaro....about 2 years after they bring back the Mustang SVO and Ford proves that the recipe works.

Sadly.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by 2lane69
GM has let Ford do their product planning since the Camaro was invented...so why change now?

It's typical knee-jerk reaction. Ford's product 'X' is selling like hotcakes, we'd better get on that bandwagon.

I'm confident GM will eventually build a lightweight, quick and excellent handling version of the Camaro....about 2 years after they bring back the Mustang SVO and Ford proves that the recipe works.

Sadly.
No arguments there.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
I think the real point is not to compare 1969 to 2010 but to compare 2010 to 2010.

In the comparison of 2010 to 2010, Mustang is already outpacing Camaro in handling in virtually every magazine article you can possibly reference. It's also nipping at its heels in acceleration on the street (1/4 mile is a different story, I know). Is it just the fact that Camaro is 300+ pounds heavier or is it more than that? Better question is do the reasons even matter at this point?

As I said, maybe, just maybe, Chevrolet can pull out a miracle and make this Z28 accelerate, stop and handle with the best cars in the world for 1/2 their price. I guess we'll have to wait and see. But the precident that has been set isn't overly promising - you're already playing #2 to your direct competition.
You make a very good point.

The ultimate point to my posts is that the Z/28 does not have a 40 year history of being a lightweight world dominator when in reality, a nose heavy, ill handling Z/28 is rather the norm, or has been for 30 years. Sure, there were a few carrots thrown our way, but being relative to it's peers, it was never outstanding. So what's the difference today from 1978, ceterus paribus? Not much.

Unfortunately, we'll never know what could've been, until we see what should've been. Until the SVO is born again, GM has no directive to compete in a fairy tale category. The new Mustang is sure to be heavier, and the Challenger is already hefty. I don't see guys cross-shopping the SS to the G37 based on curb weight. People will buy it because they want it to look and sound cool, not because they want to crush Miata's at the local Wally world parking lot.

Last edited by 2lane69; 09-22-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:27 AM

So they should always play 'follow' the leader'?!? Let Ford decide their product planning?!?

Answer my questions....

Dumbest waste of limited resources I've seen......
Wouldn't a waste of limited resources be creating all new parts for the Z28? Such as a bunch of "lightweight" parts for a low volume vehicle....

Instead they are pretty much using off the shelf parts lowering their costs to create another vehicle they can charge an arm & a leg for....

Might not be the ideal car for some....but it makes sense.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:27 AM
Prominent Member

It's typical knee-jerk reaction. Ford's product 'X' is selling like hotcakes, we'd better get on that bandwagon..
And which one went banctrupt?

Sadly.
They are barely able to produce this mistake....they won't have any second chances to prove they are a leader and not just a Johnny come lately.....
Old 09-22-2009, 11:28 AM

Here's a question for anyone who feels like answering.

Since we've already established that Chevy has slavishly benchmarked the 2007 GT500 for the '11/'12 Z/28 -- how does a 550 hp, 41xx pound Z/28 compete with a 2011, 37xx pound, 540 hp, GT500?
Old 09-22-2009, 11:31 AM

I thought I'd throw this out there because I always get a kick out of it. At a local cruise spot near me there have been several Ford GT's show up. Usually the guy is wearing penny loafers, and wouldn't know Steve McQueen from George Bush.

That is GM's demographic for a $45-50K Camaro. Not us. The aging Baby-boomer populice with the extra funds to burn...at least what wasn't lost in the Market...that wants to relive the glory days from the safety and comfort of 38 air bags and Sonny and Cher playing through the Ipod hookup on the Bose stereo with 14 speakers.

That my friends, is our destiny. LOL!
Old 09-22-2009, 11:32 AM
Prominent Member

Originally Posted by 95redLT1
Wouldn't a waste of limited resources be creating all new parts for the Z28? Such as a bunch of "lightweight" parts for a low volume vehicle....

Instead they are pretty much using off the shelf parts lowering their costs to create another vehicle they can charge an arm & a leg for....

And you think a $60k, 4,100# Camaro will be a volume leader?!?!

I still ask...WHY bother??

Years ago, I asked Scott, after one of the Sat. AM, Future Camaro Summits I set up in Bowling Green (see, some of us are do-ers, not just talkers)....if I would be happy selling my C5 for a 5th gen.......his answer was a prophetic "I don't know"......seems he was right.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by 95redLT1

Certification costs are still a consideration. The LSA may be off-the-shelf hardware, but there are no LSAs in Zeta. Don't forget you also have to design and produce an appropriate suspension package (beyond simple tweaking of what is already on Camaro SS I would have to imagine).

The ultimate point to my posts is that the Z/28 does not have a 40 year history of being a lightweight world dominator when in reality, a nose heavy, ill handling Z/28 is rather the norm, or has been for 30 years.
I think you missed one of my previous posts about SCCA. While Camaro has never been a featherweight, it obviously has done enough right to have a rather rich grassroots history on the circuit. Time will tell, but again, the 5th Generation Camaro does not appear to be a car of choice like its previous generations have been.

Last edited by Z28Wilson; 09-22-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever

Since we've already established that Chevy has slavishly benchmarked the 2007 GT500 for the '11/'12 Z/28 -- how does a 550 hp, 41xx pound Z/28 compete with a 2011, 37xx pound, 540 hp, GT500?
You got me there....another Transformer Movie perhaps?
Old 09-22-2009, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Certification costs are still a consideration. The LSA may be off-the-shelf hardware, but there are no LSAs in Zeta. Don't forget you also have to design and produce an appropriate suspension package (beyond simple tweaking of what is already on Camaro SS I would have to imagine).
Haven't we already been told long ago that the design work is done and all they're mainly waiting for is someone in upper management to say, "Go"? It was my understanding that all that's left is final tweaking to get the performance just right.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:39 AM

And you think a $60k, 4,100# Camaro will be a volume leader?!?!

I still ask...WHY bother??

Years ago, I asked Scott, after one of the Sat. AM, Future Camaro Summits I set up in Bowling Green (see, some of us are do-ers, not just talkers)....if I would be happy selling my C5 for a 5th gen.......his answer was a prophetic "I don't know"......seems he was right.
I remember that, I was there bud. And I remember us having a side convo on that too. I was saying to you that, I didn't think it would be unreasonable to expect a 2012-ish Z/28 to have similar performance to a 2000 C5 or even a 2004 Z06. Man, was I wrong.

I think I'm pretty much done with this car now. Lots of my energy expended, no results.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:40 AM

...That is GM's demographic for a $45-50K Camaro. Not us. The aging Baby-boomer populice with the extra funds to burn...at least what wasn't lost in the Market...that wants to relive the glory days from the safety and comfort of 38 air bags and Sonny and Cher playing through the Ipod hookup on the Bose stereo with 14 speakers.

That my friends, is our destiny. LOL!

I'm laughing, with chagrin, because this hits very close to home. Except for Sonny and Cher. I'll be playing Three Dog Night. But otherwise...yeah, that's me.

I've been holding off buying an SS with the hope that something very much like this Z28 would come out. And now it looks like my hopes will be fulfilled. Maybe you racers don't like it, but I bet there are more potential customers out there like me than there are like you.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever

(a) Its better looking
(b) It has IRS
(c) Its not a Ford.

Quick Reply: NEWS: GM Reportedly Calls "Game On" For Supercharged 550HP Camaro Z/28