2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEWS: GM Reportedly Calls "Game On" For Supercharged 550HP Camaro Z/28

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 08:53 AM

I'm with Doug, Bob and the rest of that gang on this one. While I think there's definitely a place in the Camaro product range for a s/c version, I just don't think it should be called a Z/28. Not saying it won't be a badass car, just not a Z/28 to me.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:00 AM

I'd by down with calling it a ZL1, and it would fit in the naming convention better along-side the ZR1.

HOWEVER, some of you guys need to chill out on the whole weight thing. So, the Z/28 was a light purpose built homologation race car what....oh, 40 goddamn years ago. Since when, after 1969 has it set the world on fire as a production road racer? Was it 1976? Was it 2002? Was it 1974? Cause help me out here since I sure missed that memo....

Better yet, go find me a 1969 Z/28 RS 'vert with a power top, all 4 cocktail shakers present and accounted for, power windows and A/C...then go find a scale and tell me what you come up with and why or why not it does or doesn't 'count'. My '69 is tipping the scales at close to 3600lbs and it's a coupe with no A/C.

Last edited by 2lane69; 09-22-2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:06 AM

Yeah all this bitching is really gonna help get this car to market. If you don't like it then don't buy it. You as a community are a tiny spec on GM's radar, most of you won't buy this car anyway. There are plenty of people that want this car with the SC 6.2. People on here act like their world will end if this car gets called a Z28, well most people out there aren't hard core handling junkies and the Gt 500 has been stealing deals away from Chevy. The new Camaro is heavy, get over it or get a different car, I did. Your not going to get a 3500lb canyon carver, it isn't going to happen, this car is only going to get heavier until they switch platforms. You should be happy a new version of this car is coming out no matter what it is called. If you want a 3000lb canyon carver get a Cobalt SS.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:10 AM
Automated News Poster

Arrow NEWS: Report: Chevrolet Camaro Z28 back on

Performance models were the first to face the chopping block when General Motors’ finances hit the skids, but at least one performance variant could be rising from the dead. GM’s once lame duck Chevrolet Camaro Z28 is said to be production bound, with the high-performance model in the final stages of development.According to Edmunds, [...]

More...
Old 09-22-2009, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by 2lane69
I'd by down with calling it a ZL1, and it would fit in the naming convention better along-side the ZR1.

HOWEVER, some of you guys need to chill the F@ck out on the whole weight thing. JESUS H CHRIST you guys are narrow minded. So, the Z/28 was a light purpose built homologation race car what....oh, 40 goddamn years ago. Since when, after 1969 has it set the world on fire as a production road racer? Was it 1976? Was it 2002? Was it 1974? Cause help me out here since I sure missed that memo....
Well said.

In fact, some of them probably haven't even driven a Camaro in anger, even if they claim to have. So their best defense is the odd subjective article... and their narrow mindedness.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:18 AM

A couple of points...

1) GM is going to do what GM is going to do, regardless of what we say here - for better or worse. Basically, they'll dust off what's on the shelf and use it, regardless of it's relevance.

2) Much has been mentioned about the CTS-V here. The CTS-V is a great car. But just because the CTS-V is a fast, four door, Cadillac sedan - doesn't make it a good formula for a Z/28. Even if it were, what makes anyone think the current Camaro will be as good?

For me, a 4100 (+) pound Z/28 is abhorrent. It's a complete bastardization of the coveted Z/28 lineage. And really, I don't care how much power it has, power is not this car's problem. It will only exacerbate what's already wrong with the overweight, indolent, SS.

Whatever. For all those looking forward to buying a car like that, congrats.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:21 AM

i've not had any major urges to get a new camaro, but this one will be worth investigating if it doesn't cost more than a corvette
Old 09-22-2009, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
A couple of points...

For me, a 4100 (+) pound Z/28 is abhorrent. It's a complete bastardization of the coveted Z/28 lineage. And really, I don't care how much power it has, power is not this car's problem. It will only exacerbate what's already wrong with the overweight, indolent, SS.

Whatever. For all those looking forward to buying a car like that, congrats.
I need you explain to me this point above. In what universe was a Z/28 universally regarded as an ultimate handling and lightweight car?

It sure wasn't in 1969, which some of you clearly can't get past. I know, I've built a number of first gens, now the one I have actually handles...since it's got $15K worth of modern technology in the chassis, wheels and tires. Comparing a Donahue racecar to what guys had on the streets is overly simplistic. Not only that, there are plenty of 3600 lb first gens out there, even with small blocks. You guys act like they piled on 1500lbs and have nothing to show for it.

It also wasn't any year AFTER 1969 either. I've had several 3rd gens and 4th gens, and I don't recall any of those Z/28's to be real corner burners. In fact, they were an utter embarassment compared to my Vette's of similar vintage in that department.

All this bally-hooing, and I bet NONE of you have ever driven, or built a car similar to what you are comparing this new one to. I feel like I'm Alice in Wonderland when I read these posts.

Last edited by 2lane69; 09-22-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:31 AM

Anyone want to take a guess on pricing? 50k+? I sure hope not.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:42 AM

HOWEVER, some of you guys need to chill out on the whole weight thing. So, the Z/28 was a light purpose built homologation race car what....oh, 40 goddamn years ago. Since when, after 1969 has it set the world on fire as a production road racer? Was it 1976? Was it 2002? Was it 1974? Cause help me out here since I sure missed that memo....
Camaros have been SCCA staples throughout their lifetime. Their great power along with adequate/more than adequate and tuneable handling has made them good choices. Magazines put Camaros up against the best the world had to offer in the past, and Camaro held its own when the roads get curvy. Reference Charlie's favorite Car and Driver article that pitted the '84 Z28 vs. Porsche. I doubt that you'll see the 5th Gen as a popular choice for road racers and autocrossers however, for a variety of reasons.

I think the concerns really stem from the fact that Camaro is already getting outhandled by Mustang. That in and of itself is not acceptable to a lot of people. Maybe they can tune the 'Z28' to handle (and stop) as well as some world-class cars. I don't know. It'll take quite an engineering effort, and a little magic, to do so.

Of those who "can't wait" for the car to be built, ask yourselves if you're seriously prepared to spend $40,000+ for the car. "Success" for Chevy with this model won't depend on specs or internet racers or dream buyers, it will be based in sales.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:43 AM

I need you explain to me this point above. In what universe was a Z/28 universally regarded as an ultimate handling and lightweight car?
For starters, in the universe which we (me anyway) currently inhabit.

The universe which GM inhabited.

The universe this Porsche driver inhabited.

Or even the universe Sam Posey (in the Mustang) inhabited.

Last edited by Z284ever; 09-22-2009 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:55 AM

Oh looky. That Mustang and Cougar, waaaay back there are in the same universe too...

Old 09-22-2009, 10:00 AM

Well, I think the Universe you live in needs to expand a bit.

Let's talk about the Theory of Relativity. My point is, the Camaro was never significantly lighter, or significantly better handling than it's competition. That holds true today. This is 2010 MY cars we're discussing, not 1969, and it's pointless to debate what a Z/28 was in 1969 versus what it is in 2010 when 40 years have passed where the 1969 Standards clearly did not apply. So, is the 2010 Camaro more like a '69 Z/28, or is it more like the 30+ years of Z/28's that have followed?

Furthermore, you are discussing race cars versus street cars. Yeah, anybody can tear a car down to it's bones, reinforce it, add a bunch of hp and sticky tires and be competitive on some level. Was that Porsche driver a Novice? Did they forget to bring rain tires? What does that picture prove? Was he passing the Camaro coming out of a corner? That shows me nothing of relevance.

Again, I've built cars like the Camaro in the poster. Have you driven one? Can you tell me what the car pictured weighed? Note the RS headlights. I see curb weight as 3220lbs. Add the cowl induction hood, the crossram with dual quads, power steering, power brakes, a radio, a few goodies and you're at 3500 before you blink. The fold down rear seat weighs 100lbs by itself. Again, I'm trying to relate a 'typical' street use car to what will be purchased today. They are about 500lbs apart. Considering the infinite improvements in safety and comfort, this is a small price to pay.

Last edited by 2lane69; 09-22-2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:03 AM

Well, I think the Universe you live in needs to expand a bit.

Let's talk about the Theory of Relativity. My point is, the Camaro was never significantly lighter, or significantly better handling than it's competition. That holds true today. This is 2010 MY cars we're discussing, not 1969, and it's pointless to debate what a Z/28 was in 1969 versus what it is in 2010 when 40 years have passed where the 1969 Standards clearly did not apply. So, is the 2010 Camaro more like a '69 Z/28, or is it more like the 30+ years of Z/28's that have followed?

Furthermore, you are discussing race cars versus street cars. Yeah, anybody can tear a car down to it's bones, reinforce it, add a bunch of hp and sticky tires and be competetive on some level. Was that Porsche driver a Novice? Did they forget to bring rain tires? What does that picture prove? Was he passing the Camaro coming out of a corner? That shows me nothing of relevance.

Again, I've built cars like the Camaro in the poster. Have you driven one? Can you tell me what the car pictured weighed?

Yeah, I figured as much.....

Thanks for the advice. What the car in the poster weighed is listed in the left hand lower corner.

BTW, none of those are '69's.

Last edited by Z284ever; 09-22-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
2) Much has been mentioned about the CTS-V here. The CTS-V is a great car. But just because the CTS-V is a fast, four door, Cadillac sedan - doesn't make it a good formula for a Z/28. Even if it were, what makes anyone think the current Camaro will be as good?
Then what's the point of the CTS-V coupe?

Quick Reply: NEWS: GM Reportedly Calls "Game On" For Supercharged 550HP Camaro Z/28