2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

NEWS: Next-gen Chevy Camaro confirmed for 2016MY, 6.2L V8 engine to remain

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 03:00 AM
Automated News Poster

Arrow NEWS: Next-gen Chevy Camaro confirmed for 2016MY, 6.2L V8 engine to remain

There has been a lot of speculation about when and what the next-gen Camaro will arrive as - we now have some answers.

More...
Old 01-03-2012, 12:05 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Re: NEWS: Next-gen Chevy Camaro confirmed for 2016MY, 6.2L V8 engine to remain

.....offortheloveof...........

Take anything - - ANYTHING -- you read about a "6th Gen Camaro" with a grain of salt substitute...... (lower than a grain of salt....)

We have not announced anything and If we ARE working on a 6th gen - we aren't talking!

Now - as to those who WANT to know all about the 6th gen?

(sorry - I couldn't resist...............see - this is what happens when Jason shows me how to do stuff on the internet!)
Old 01-03-2012, 12:53 PM

I must be getting old. I remember the launch of the 2002 35th Anniversary SS, and slightly before that, the 1997 30th Anniversary SS, and then in the middle, the great switch to the LS1 and controversial facelift.

My 5th gen is a year old and it still feels like a brand new car/platform/hype. At this point, I don't even want to know about the 5th gen!!!! This one still has years of driving pleasure in it, and the gas pedal still produces as much adrenaline as it did when I bought it.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:59 PM

the caddy ATS should show us the future of the camaro, to an extent.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:45 PM

Jeez I keep holding out hope the DI 6.2 is coming but I guess not anytime soon. Sat in a new Mustang the other day and didn't fit so I guess it is off the radar now. Legs hit the e brake handle and knees dig into the steering wheel. Have plenty of room int he Camaro and the steering wheel is telescoping which is nice. Looks like I'm down to Charger, Challenger, or Camaro now. Guess I'll get a feel for all 3 at the car show here in 2 weeks. Dodge didn't even have a Challenger last year at the show, Chevy had 3 Camaro's and they were mobbed the whole time I was there!
Old 01-04-2012, 06:46 PM

I wonder how much more weight it will gain.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:14 PM

Wont be long it'll be time for the 6th Gen news forum
Old 01-04-2012, 11:51 PM

but the article said "confirmed"
Old 01-05-2012, 10:43 AM

DI 5.5! cant wait!
Old 01-05-2012, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by STOCK1SC
Jeez I keep holding out hope the DI 6.2 is coming but I guess not anytime soon. Sat in a new Mustang the other day and didn't fit so I guess it is off the radar now. Legs hit the e brake handle and knees dig into the steering wheel. Have plenty of room int he Camaro and the steering wheel is telescoping which is nice. Looks like I'm down to Charger, Challenger, or Camaro now. Guess I'll get a feel for all 3 at the car show here in 2 weeks. Dodge didn't even have a Challenger last year at the show, Chevy had 3 Camaro's and they were mobbed the whole time I was there!
Not knocking your opinion but how tall are you? I'm 6'2" and fit just fine. There would be no room for a passenger behind me but I had plenty to work with considering leg room. I do think it could use a telescopic steering wheel like on the Camaro. I find your post odd considering when I sit in a Camaro I feel cramped and clausterphobic. No arguments. Just funny.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
DI 5.5! cant wait!
I thought there were a couple of people on here that were adamant that the next gen V8's weren't going to be 5.5l? Personally I like the idea of higher tech, lower displacement engines. Which is almost a 180 from a few years ago. Hell much to the ire of alot of people here I would rather see a small displacement FI 6 than a large V8.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:55 PM

the DI5.5 is in the C6R right now making over 500HP. i think like 580. smaller , lighter, more power....sounds great to me for a smaller , lighter 6th gen. even if the production model had 450hp...it still would be much faster than now. hell , if it had 400, it would probably be faster than now, depending on the weight savings. not sure why some people arent open to the idea of the DI 5.5, but its doing great in racing now..... before the 7.0 showed up in the z06, it started life in the c5r as a test mule. and i think we all know how well it has done since then.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by 95firehawk
Not knocking your opinion but how tall are you? I'm 6'2" and fit just fine. There would be no room for a passenger behind me but I had plenty to work with considering leg room. I do think it could use a telescopic steering wheel like on the Camaro. I find your post odd considering when I sit in a Camaro I feel cramped and clausterphobic. No arguments. Just funny.
I'm around 6'3" and my uncle just bought one and he is maybe 6ft or so but even after moving the seat my knees were hitting the wheel when I lifted off the gas and went for the brake, I have short legs so I can't slide the seat all the way back or I can't reach the clutch, I'm all upper torso which isn't a problem usually cause you can lean the seat back at a good angle but in his I felt like I was in a 350Z because my head was hitting the side of the door and you had to slump to see out the side. 350Z is the tightest car I have ever sat in for headroom, I couldn't wait to get out of it and swore I'd never get back in another. My Cobalt is no problem my head scratches the roof a bit but visibility is better than just about anything on the road but the dependability is the worst I've ever had.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:11 PM

the DI5.5 is in the C6R right now making over 500HP. i think like 580. smaller , lighter, more power....sounds great to me for a smaller , lighter 6th gen. even if the production model had 450hp...it still would be much faster than now. hell , if it had 400, it would probably be faster than now, depending on the weight savings. not sure why some people arent open to the idea of the DI 5.5, but its doing great in racing now..... before the 7.0 showed up in the z06, it started life in the c5r as a test mule. and i think we all know how well it has done since then.
I'd have no problem with a motor like that. It could be smaller than 5.5l and do just fine if they build the rest of the car to suit. I think some of those who aren't open to the idea are more of the "fear of change" variety.

Originally Posted by STOCK1SC
I'm around 6'3" and my uncle just bought one and he is maybe 6ft or so but even after moving the seat my knees were hitting the wheel when I lifted off the gas and went for the brake, I have short legs so I can't slide the seat all the way back or I can't reach the clutch, I'm all upper torso which isn't a problem usually cause you can lean the seat back at a good angle but in his I felt like I was in a 350Z because my head was hitting the side of the door and you had to slump to see out the side. 350Z is the tightest car I have ever sat in for headroom, I couldn't wait to get out of it and swore I'd never get back in another. My Cobalt is no problem my head scratches the roof a bit but visibility is better than just about anything on the road but the dependability is the worst I've ever had.
Gotcha. I hear you about the 350Z. I was looking at the 370Z briefly and with the seat positioned all the way to the rear and the seatback set against the cross brace I couldn't shift the car without my leg forcibly resting on the steering wheel. I could gain a little room if I tilted the wheel all the way up but that gave the wheel a school bus like angle to it. Not fun and pretty much killed those dreams.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:41 PM

The 5.5 is not much lighter than a 6.2 if at all. i bet the 7 liter ls7 is even lighter.

Quick Reply: NEWS: Next-gen Chevy Camaro confirmed for 2016MY, 6.2L V8 engine to remain