2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Chevrolet Camaro GS Racecar (from SEMA) - Not just a concept!

Old 11-25-2008, 12:57 PM
Admin Emeritus

Thumbs up Chevrolet Camaro GS Racecar (from SEMA) - Not just a concept!

I was skimming Autoweek and caught a sidebar about the Camaro GS Racecar concept from SEMA and was surprised that I hadn't caught this earlier...

...Not surprisingly, the Camaro GS Racecar concept looks track-ready. Working with General Motors' Performance Vehicle Operations, Riley [Technologies] designed the concept with more than just an aftermarket show in mind. It is a prototype for a production GS-class race car for the 2009 Grand-Am Koni Challenge series.
So for those who hadn't heard this yet, here is at least one answer to the "Will the 2010 Camaro be involved in any racing programs?" question.

Can't wait to see it killin' 'em all on the race track!
Old 11-25-2008, 01:07 PM

and i hope they keep the color scheme.. just like that... *drool*
Old 11-25-2008, 01:29 PM

Very nice. That is a great series. It will be fun to see the Camaro vs. Mustang battles with the BMW's and Acura's too.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
I was skimming Autoweek and caught a sidebar about the Camaro GS Racecar concept from SEMA and was surprised that I hadn't caught this earlier...

So for those who hadn't heard this yet, here is at least one answer to the "Will the 2010 Camaro be involved in any racing programs?" question.

Can't wait to see it killin' 'em all on the race track!
JASON'!! You of all people dont know about Camaro's debut for next season in Koni challenge GS class?
Its being built by Riley Motorsports, same guys who make the Pontiac prototypes and G6 GXP race cars for the Rollex Series.
This is pretty much what will be available from them, and if the price is about what it is for the Mustang race car for Koni Challenge, it puts it around 90k.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:53 PM
2010 Camaro Moderator/Disciple

Riley Technologies Selected to Build Camaro for KONI Challenge

Mooresville, NC (12 August 2008) - The legion of Chevrolet Camaro fans will have a new place to focus their enthusiasm starting next January at Daytona International Speedway, as the legendary V8-powered classic Chevrolet performance machine will return to competition in the Grand-Am KONI Challenge GS Class in 2009.

Riley Technologies has been named the exclusive builder for the Camaro for KONI Challenge competition. The entry will be closely based on the highly anticipated all-new 2010 Camaro, which was recently officially unveiled simultaneously at the GM Tech Center in Warren, Michigan, and GM West Coast Advanced Design Studio North Hollywood, California, GM.

By entering the KONI Challenge, the Camaro will be competing head to head against a world-class field of production-based racers. The category has established itself as key showcase for both driver and product capabilities, and has enjoyed tremendous fields thanks in part to a SPEED television presence as well as a rules package that keeps cost containment a constant focus.

With that philosophy in mind, Riley will be offering four configurations for teams to select from, creating additional opportunities for teams at varying levels of investment to suit team budgets. Teams will be able to select from a complete turn-key race car, a complete unassembled car kit, an unassembled car less purchased parts, and a Riley Technologies Body In White fitted with a roll cage.

“We are very excited to be named the exclusive builder of the new Chevrolet Camaro for KONI Challenge,” said Riley Technologies VP Bill Riley. “We will offer the same level of support for our Camaro KONI Challenge competitors as we do our Daytona Prototype and Rolex GT Class customers. The KONI Challenge is tremendously competitive and we are really looking forward to seeing our customers hit the track starting at Daytona in January.”

"The KONI Challenge series is a great venue in which to demonstrate the performance attributes of the new Chevrolet Camaro,” said Mark Kent, Director GM Racing. “As the exclusive builder of the Camaro for competition in the Koni Challenge series, Riley Technologies will assure the racing version of the Camaro maintains the highest quality standards, is safe and affordable to purchase and operate. With Riley Technologies long history of developing and producing championship winning race cars, we are confident that the Chevrolet Camaro will be a championship contender in the Koni Challenge series."

Riley Technologies has established an excellent record both on the track, and in the paddock. Riley products won both the Daytona Prototype and GT classes of the 2008 Rolex 24 At Daytona, adding to a remarkable record of over 50 victories in the category. A key ingredient in that success has been the high level of service and support that the manufacturer offers its wide customer and competitor base.

“The addition of the Camaro to the KONI Challenge GS class has been anticipated since our first peek at the car, and it’s sure to become an instant fan favorite,” said Grand-Am Vice President of Competition David Spitzer. “We are glad to support GM Racing, and their selection of Riley as the supplier of both cars and kits. They have a track record of safe and successful race cars, and excellent customer service. Grand Am will work closely with GM Racing and Riley to ensure the Camaro is priced fairly, and with the dedication of Riley we expect to have Camaros on the grid for Daytona in January.”

The machine will be delivered ready to race for $130,000, with deposits currently being accepted. Riley will be the only approved manufacturer for the car in KONI competition.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:55 PM

I love that GS. I have a feeling the car will do very well.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:49 AM

does anyone know what kind of schedule the grand am series has? like where they go? i am wondering if they will be racing at the Mid Ohio Track?
Old 11-26-2008, 09:02 AM

Awesome... just awesome
Old 11-26-2008, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
does anyone know what kind of schedule the grand am series has? like where they go? i am wondering if they will be racing at the Mid Ohio Track?
http://www.grand-am.com/koni/schedule/
Old 11-26-2008, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
June 19-21 to Mid Ohio

w00t! They are coming back to NJ's new Thunderbird Raceway in May!!
Old 11-26-2008, 12:32 PM

ill be at mid ohio. ive been going to that race for the last 5 years. sweet time! cant wait to take my camaro to see that camaro!
Old 11-26-2008, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Big Als Z
w00t! They are coming back to NJ's new Thunderbird Raceway in May!!
I wanna try and make it there. I haven't even seen the track yet.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:52 AM

Hey Jason do you think you could update the desktop wallpaper section on the site. There are some great 5th gen shots on here like the number 6 car but I can't find a pic on here to use for the wallpaper.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:20 AM

no races here
there is one in alabama, so if its in the next series I may make a drive
Old 12-01-2008, 08:11 AM
Banned

Very cool. I always love seeing Camaros in race series, be it SCCA, IROC (both back in the day) NHRA, or whatever it's competing in. It's a whole lot cooler to watch a Camaro racing versus a Malibu or Impala or something like that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chevrolet Camaro GS Racecar (from SEMA) - Not just a concept!