2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEWS: Detroit 2009: First look at the production 2010 Chevy Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by 97ss30th
yeah, your 96 interior is way better! if you cant stand the interior in the 5th gen how in the heck do you put up with your 4th gens interior? now that interior sucks ***** and this is coming from a guy that owns 3 of em.

i think its funny that majority of the guys that diss the new cars interior still own a 4th gen with a cavalier dash and console.
Try again. I got rid of the 96 a couple of months after I bought my Vette. Not once did I ever defend a 4th gen interior. I have an '02 Formula right now and both of the interiors in the 96 and 02 are horrible.

I guess I got spoiled with the quality and style of the Vette.

B
Old 01-15-2009, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by 96SSConv#2033
Ummm, everything. The interior is why I'm not getting one. I cannot stand that the center console does not sweep up into the radio area. The design of the radio prevents any aftermarked radio/GPS/video screen. And the flat, plain passenger side....blah. Where is the dual cockpit design that is in almost every GM car these days? That designer should be demoted to designing lug nut covers.

B
wow. thats pretty harsh. i think everything about the interior is perfect. it all fits together just right. nothing seems out of place. i was watching a show where they were at the LA auto show and were comparing the mustnag and the camaro. they said the interior was better in the camaro than it was in the mustang. i dont know what they were basing that off of but they seemed to like it better. now if it were a 2010 mustang, i dont kow. im guessing it was.
dual cockpit? its not a vette. camaros have never been tight in the "cockpit" like what your talking about.and as far as radio or gps for aftermarket, im almost certain someone will find a way to do something with it. i have a friend who works for JVC in cali' and he said they have been working on something for a dvd,nav for it. dont worry.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by HuJass
I sat in an IVER car. I like the layout. I'm GLAD it doesn't have the double cockpit dash with sweeping console that EVERY other car has nowadays.

I have yet to sit in a production model, so I'll reserve judgement of materials till then.
i sat in the yellow one and it felt perfect. i didnt notice anything that shouldnt be there. nothing felt out of place. it was just perfect.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Steve0
Autoblog is actually a credible source... They review lots of cars every year and even obtain them from manufacturers for long term testing.

It really wouldn't surprise me if the new Mustang has a bit nicer interior than the Camaro. That was the intent of the refresh, to keep it competitive. It obviously isn't there performance wise, so where else was Ford supposed to compete? The Camaro obviously has superior hardware from chassis, to brakes, to engine.

I have to admit I am a little disappointed at say the guage cluster and dash lay out, but whatever, I realize everyone is going to be happy with every aspect of the car. I will reserve my final judgement on the interior until I get to sit in one. I am hoping the quality of materials in the car are at least on par with everything else in the segment.
even if its not as nice as the mustang, it is alot better than it was in 02 when they stopped making them.
and its about time ford redoes the interior. the old mustangs had the same interior since the early 90's. they dont like changing things. they had the same steering wheel on there for years. good job ford. finally upgraded. i do like the new glass roof they have as an option. however, im sure it is pricey and heavy.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by 96SSConv#2033
Try again. I got rid of the 96 a couple of months after I bought my Vette. Not once did I ever defend a 4th gen interior. I have an '02 Formula right now and both of the interiors in the 96 and 02 are horrible.

I guess I got spoiled with the quality and style of the Vette.

B
unless its a 05 or newer vette, i woulnt say that the vette interior is something to get spoiled over. personally i think this interior is nicer than the vettes. it has more style and is more unique. my dad has an 05 vette and the interior is nice. nothing to be amazed over but its nice.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Should a Camaro with heritage styling feature a dual cockpit design when no Camaro has ever featured this in history?
No Camaro has ever featured:
variable displacement
400+ SAE net horsepower
a 6-speed automatic
4.5-link IRS
20" wheels
direct injection
ambient interior lighting

I could go on. Are you arguing that Camaro shouldn't have any of those class-leading features either?

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Besides, shouldn't a Camaro interior be unique and not a carbon copy of every other GM product?
It can be unique without forgoing an excellent basic interior layout that is clearly superior to any other alternative.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
No Camaro has ever featured:
variable displacement
400+ SAE net horsepower
a 6-speed automatic
4.5-link IRS
20" wheels
direct injection
ambient interior lighting

I could go on. Are you arguing that Camaro shouldn't have any of those class-leading features either?

It can be unique without forgoing an excellent basic interior layout that is clearly superior to any other alternative.
i think your missing his point. hes was saying that to someone else who was hating on the interior because it was "cockpit like"
Old 01-15-2009, 08:37 AM
Banned

The interior seems like it has been the biggest sticking point for the majority of people on this car. When I first saw it in the concept, it looked new, interesting, and eye-catching. Now that everything has been grayed out and dulled down, it doesn't seem nearly as great as it did when I first saw it. The speedo and tach look pretty cheap and the seats don't look too supportive from what I see in the pictures. It's just got a dull appearance to it, which is completely opposite of the outside of the car. The car itself draws your eyes in no matter which way you're looking, but the interior falls short of that mark. It's sad to see a review that talks about the cheap feel of the interior. I had high hopes that the interior wouldn't be a shortcoming of this car.

I'll have to reserve too much judgement until I can actually sit in one, but the pictures don't impress me. Hopefully it gets a nice redesign that brings it up to par with the rest of the car.

Last edited by shock6906; 01-15-2009 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:40 AM

i think the seats are by far , one of the nicest things in the car. i love the lok of the seat and how it stayed true to the concept, in the design and appearance. they look very comfortable and much nicer than the 4th gen seating. man those hurt if you sat in them too long. probably one of the reasons i have back issues today.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:01 AM

The seats are very comfortable and supportive. And they are roomy. Not NEARLY as tight as the 4th gen seats.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
i think your missing his point. hes was saying that to someone else who was hating on the interior because it was "cockpit like"
I think you're missing my point and his point.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:53 AM

I think there's an important distinction to make: Liking the interior from a design perspective (overall look), and liking the interior from a quality perspective (good materials, tolerances, how things "feel", and if it will stand up to 200k miles of abuse).

From a design perspective, I think the interior of just about any 2005+ BMW is absolutely hideous. I don't like the (ugly to me) swoops and curves, triangular steering wheels, how the controls are laid out, or the shape of the gauges. But most would argue despite how it looks, it's built really well.

I like the Camaro interior from a design perspective. I think it's quirky and very unique. It follows suit with other generations. Camaro interiors have always been "different" -- Big flat dash pads, or lots of curves. Swivel radios. Digital gauges. Funny shaped steering wheels, gauges in unexpected locations (console). Lots of squares (3rd gen) or lots of round edges (4th gen). I think the 5th gen pulls from all generations and puts it into a likeable package along with its own unique flares (the center stack is definitely new...)

Quality remains to be seen, and it's a big concern for me. I don't want something that's going to look trashy in 3-4 years, i.e scuffed seat bolsters or stitching coming undone, warped vinyl on consoles or dash pad, ugly hard plastic with little nibs and flashing still on it (that doesn't fit well anyway), cheap plastic-coated leathers that get shiny. I want something that's going to hold up and keep looking great. "It's what the people want." - They want to go fast and have nice interiors too.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by HuJass
The seats are very comfortable and supportive. And they are roomy. Not NEARLY as tight as the 4th gen seats.
What do those *****/handles on the insides of the seatbacks do? Tilt?
Old 01-15-2009, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by CLEAN
What do those *****/handles on the insides of the seatbacks do? Tilt?
In my Volvo(I know, bad comparison), they adjust the firmness of the back of the seat. May be the same, maybe not though
Old 01-15-2009, 11:58 AM

Is anyone else bothered by the shift ****? The threads will be facing the palm of your hand & probably wear out quickly. probably irritate your hand as well.

Quick Reply: NEWS: Detroit 2009: First look at the production 2010 Chevy Camaro