2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

NEWS: Chevy's Anti-GT500, Pro-Camaro ZL1 Smack-Talking Powerpoint [Chevy Camaro ZL1]

Old 01-24-2012, 02:37 PM

Re: NEWS: Chevy's Anti-GT500, Pro-Camaro ZL1 Smack-Talking Powerpoint [Chevy Camaro Z

the chassis doesnt determine hundreds of LBS difference in the car. if they would have used the chassis they wanted, how much less would the car weigh in the same form it is currently? not that much..... now if the overall size were changed in the body and interior...then yeah, the weight would dramatically change. they obviously planned on bringing the car back. the designing of the concept started long before we saw it. dont blame it on the customers demand to make a heavy car.

Last edited by 2010_5thgen; 01-24-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:44 PM

Re: NEWS: Chevy's Anti-GT500, Pro-Camaro ZL1 Smack-Talking Powerpoint [Chevy Camaro Z

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
the chassis doesnt determine hundreds of LBS difference in the car. if they would have used the chassis they wanted, how much less would the car weigh in the same form it is currently? not that much..... now if the overall size were changed in the body and interior...then yeah, the weight would dramatically change. they obviously planned on bringing the car back. the designing of the concept started long before we saw it. dont blame it on the customers demand to make a heavy car.
You are not listening, there were only 4 rwd chassis in the GM arsenal at the time (Y-body, Kappa, Sigma, Zeta):

- A purpose built chassis would have giving them dimensions and weight that everybody could have been happy with, but would have been $$$$$$$. Brand new chassis are developed to the tune of billions of dollars.

-Y-body (Corvette) was never reasonable.

- Kappa (Solstice/Sky) would have had to be significantly modified to fit a 2+2 configuration, and the engines they wanted to use. Again $$$$$.

- Sigma (CTS) would have been still been heavy, but was expensive and deemed to expensive for a Camaro price point.

- Zeta was deemed to be close to the right size and workable from a price point. The downside was it was a modular chassis that was designed to build 4 door cars with two wheelbase lengths. It was also designed to deal with some poor road conditions that are common to Australia. Therefore it tends to be a heavier chassis. The weight exist in the design of the chassis. To strip it out would be to the detriment of rigidity and safety without spending a lot of money. GTO was 380 or so pounds, Monaro is the same, the 4 door Zetas are usually about 4000+.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:45 PM

Look i've said this before, you don't see any GT500's as transformers!!! Bumblebee is a Camaro baby! and there is a good reason for it!!!
Old 01-25-2012, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
You are not listening, there were only 4 rwd chassis in the GM arsenal at the time (Y-body, Kappa, Sigma, Zeta):

- A purpose built chassis would have giving them dimensions and weight that everybody could have been happy with, but would have been $$$$$$$. Brand new chassis are developed to the tune of billions of dollars.

-Y-body (Corvette) was never reasonable.

- Kappa (Solstice/Sky) would have had to be significantly modified to fit a 2+2 configuration, and the engines they wanted to use. Again $$$$$.

- Sigma (CTS) would have been still been heavy, but was expensive and deemed to expensive for a Camaro price point.

- Zeta was deemed to be close to the right size and workable from a price point. The downside was it was a modular chassis that was designed to build 4 door cars with two wheelbase lengths. It was also designed to deal with some poor road conditions that are common to Australia. Therefore it tends to be a heavier chassis. The weight exist in the design of the chassis. To strip it out would be to the detriment of rigidity and safety without spending a lot of money. GTO was 380 or so pounds, Monaro is the same, the 4 door Zetas are usually about 4000+.
i get it..the zeta was the only one available...but that chassis doesnt weigh a 400+lbs difference between it and the mustang....its the materials IN...get that...IN, the car. not whats under the car......
Old 01-25-2012, 02:28 PM

A few things that stand out to me:

- T bar in roof
- High side impact door bar
- Much larger A-pillar, roof edge, and C-pillar
- Second rear structural bar at the top of rear window
- Boxed bracing at the back of the wheel front wheel well

just a few that stand out to me.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather

Oh - and I couldn't resist:

(this IS, after all, www.CAMAROZ28.com....)

(insert spilling drink smiley here)

Last edited by jcamere94z28; 01-25-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3

A few things that stand out to me:

- T bar in roof
- High side impact door bar
- Much larger A-pillar, roof edge, and C-pillar
- Second rear structural bar at the top of rear window
- Boxed bracing at the back of the wheel front wheel well

just a few that stand out to me.
dont know where your going with that one, but thanks for posting up the frame and body?
Old 01-26-2012, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by jcamere94z28

Originally Posted by Fbodfather

Oh - and I couldn't resist:

(this IS, after all, www.CAMAROZ28.com....)

(insert spilling drink smiley here)
ok i am gonna quote myself here...

Maybe I am reading too much into it... maybe Mr. Fbody Father here is playing mind tricks... but... READ that part again... what I am quoting here..

let me break it down for ya...

he said...

this IS, after all, www.CAMAROZ28.com....
as in.. maybe there is a Z28 coming as well??? or am i reading too much into it???

maybe I need to stop drinking so much "colada"
Old 01-26-2012, 12:09 PM

you may be on to something there......
Old 01-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Admin Emeritus

Old 01-26-2012, 02:10 PM

all i can say is...please.... build it right.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:21 PM
Admin Emeritus

You guys may want to listen to the latest CamaroZ28.Com Podcast.

Load this link:
https://www.camaroz28.com/podcast-333-chevy-camaro-z28/
Click the play button and listen right in your browser.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
dont know where your going with that one, but thanks for posting up the frame and body?
I should probably stop banging my head into the wall, but one more whack can only do so much damage.

Instead of what I posted you want us to believe that some how:

-GM seats weigh more than Ford
-GM carpet weighs more
-GM door panels weigh more
-GM radio weighs more
-GM body panels weigh more....and so forth. The Mustang has a known heavier engine.

If we can assume that standard car pieces are of similar weight, and that these cars are similarly optioned, where does the 300-400 lbs come from.

One is based on a mid sixe car platform.

One is based on a large car platform.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:24 AM

If I'd been king of GM, I'd have invested a bit more development in Kappa to make it an expandable platform and made:
1. Small/lightweight 2-seat roadster Miata competitor with N/A and turbo 4cylinder power (i.e., Solstice/Sky)
and
2. Small/lightweight 2+2 coupe with V8 power that would UNDERcut the Mustang by 200-300 lb. on weight. (i.e., a PROPER new Camaro)

Basing the Camaro on a 4200+ lb. LARGE sedan was unfortunate. And there have been performance consequences...

Meanwhile, I bought a '94 RX-7 with a 500+hp LS2 from a friend of mine (partial traded the 240Z for it ). We took it to the San Antonio drag strip while I was down there to pick it up. Neither of us is a drag racer, maybe 15 runs total between us. 11.69 @ 129.16mph, launching at 1200rpm, and in 98deg heat

Point: Weight is, like, important and stuff...

I hope they get it right with the next Camaro. 3400 lb. or less, please. People will scoff, but I think 3200 lb. would be an appropriate goal (and 3000 for the Corvette!). And lower the nose/hood/fenders/beltline by, oh, 4" - 6" or so!
I know, not gonna happen...

Last edited by Dan Baldwin; 02-25-2012 at 07:14 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:28 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by Dan Baldwin
Basing the Camaro on a 4200+ lb. LARGE sedan was unfortunate. And there have been performance consequences...
I myself wouldn't use those words. Could it perform better lighter? Absolutely...but the performance is awesome for what it is. Plus, it is the best performance value out there...literally, pound for pound.

Meanwhile, I bought a '94 RX-7 with a 500+hp LS2 from a friend of mine (partial traded the 240Z for it ). We took it to the San Antonio drag strip while I was down there to pick it up. Neither of us is a drag racer, maybe 15 runs total between us. 11.69 @ 129.16mph, launching at 1200rpm, and in 98deg heat
I'd like to see pics of that car!

Point: Weight is, like, important and stuff...
And they know it...do they ever!

I hope they get it right with the next Camaro. 3400 lb. or less, please. People will scoff, but I think 3200 lb. would be an appropriate goal (and 3000 for the Corvette!). And lower the nose/hood/fenders/beltline by, oh, 4" - 6" or so!
I know, not gonna happen...
Yeah, making it lighter than a 4th gen with the current manufacturer and market requirements...not gonna happen, but I'll bet my bagels that it WILL be lighter next time around.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NEWS: Chevy's Anti-GT500, Pro-Camaro ZL1 Smack-Talking Powerpoint [Chevy Camaro ZL1]