2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEWS: Chevy expects over half of all Camaro ZL1 models to be automatic

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 10:34 AM

Re: NEWS: Chevy expects over half of all Camaro ZL1 models to be automatic

Originally Posted by skuttduck
You would get the ZL1 for a daily driver?

I suppose one could do that, but with all the capabilities of this car, I think it is overkill.
I should have been more clear sorry about that, no I dont really want a ZL1 personally I was just saying why I chose the A6 in my current ss

They should offer stick to give more choice they need all the sales they can they can get Alot of people cant drive stick for health reasons why lose the the sales and who cares anyway what other peoples car have as transmissions

Nick you have to drive her at Oshawa next year shes a blast
Old 09-19-2011, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by skuttduck
The thing that gets me is that they (GM) announced the ZL1 with manual transmission only at the Chicago auto show. Now in June they announce automatic transmission.

I did notice a lot of people complaining that they didn't have an auto trans option here for the ZL1.

First off, the ZL1 is not for everybody. I believe it was designed with manual in mind for the performance driver who loves the cornering and curves and the days on the track. Not for the everyday person to leave strips of rubber by mashing down the accelerator pedal going from stop light to stop light, and burning fuel by sitting in city traffic everyday.

Now offering it in auto opens up the ability to get inexperienced drivers behind the wheel. If we were talking some place other than the U.S. such as South America, or Europe, then manual transmission is the popular choice in cars there.

GM gave people a choice. It is pretty obvious, if you want the car how GM intended it, then the choice is clear based on the announcement, manual transmission. Unless I am misinformed and there is evidence to suggest that auto was planned all along, offering this car in automatic sure seems like an afterthought.

I also wonder if GM will do AFM to really castrate this beast?
Most peopel can't afford a ZR1 to even complain about a lack of an auto but it will cost GM some sales and in this day and age of selling to as many people as possible it doesn't make sense. As to the whole auto opens up the car to inexperienced drivers I see just as many jackasses driving sticks as autos and usually the guy whipping in and out of traffic in his little Honda with teh fart pipe thinks he is fast because he has a stick. Just let people buy whatever they want and let GM offer the car to more people so they can stay profitable.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:59 AM

i think the the people buying the zr1 dont expect and auto in the car. they probably plan on actually driving the car the way gm intended. not to mention the auto probably cant ahndle to power or the stress the driver will be putting on it at a track. thats why i think the LSA was the choice of engine in this car rather than a detuned LS9. the transmission is capable of handling this power but not much more if its modded.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mucker15
I should have been more clear sorry about that, no I dont really want a ZL1 personally I was just saying why I chose the A6 in my current ss

They should offer stick to give more choice they need all the sales they can they can get Alot of people cant drive stick for health reasons why lose the the sales and who cares anyway what other peoples car have as transmissions

Nick you have to drive her at Oshawa next year shes a blast
ill take you up on that offer!
Old 09-19-2011, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
i think the the people buying the zr1 dont expect and auto in the car. they probably plan on actually driving the car the way gm intended. not to mention the auto probably cant ahndle to power or the stress the driver will be putting on it at a track. thats why i think the LSA was the choice of engine in this car rather than a detuned LS9. the transmission is capable of handling this power but not much more if its modded.
The way GM intended it to be driven was on the street not on a track, no matter what they advertise and claim if you take it on a race track you have voided your warranty. Most people aren't gonna be taking these things on a track, the most work they will see is driving to and from work or thru a drive thru that's about it unless youa re the 95th percentile and probably don't care about a warranty but if I plop down over $50k+ on a car I kind of need my warranty. It looks like it is being built for some abuse but if you drive it like they are gonna advertise it they are gonna void you lickety split. Kind of like how Nissan advertised and played up the racing heritage of the GSR only to void anyone that even looked at a track. Heck anytime I take my Cobalt in for service(which is about every month) I get dirty looks and questions about my driving habits. Like that has anything to do with the steering failing recall, ignition locking up, power windows not working, rear brakes dragging, etc... I'd hate to see the interogations on a ZL1!
Old 09-20-2011, 06:45 AM

warranty voided if you go to the track?!?! i highly doubt that. and yes GM intends for the car to be driven hard...why do you think they spend millions of dollars and hours testing these cars in rediculous conditions at rediculous speeds? did we just see a video of a 24hr ZL1athon? where they drove the car on a track for 24hrs strait? wtf is the point of that other than to make sure it cna withstand abuse? these cars are meant to be raced. if it wasnt, they wouldnt have dropped a supercharged motor in it and beefed up the suspension and tires.....this car is made for racing, and i would be shocked t o see gm void your warranty if you race it.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:33 AM
Admin Emeritus

Just as much as performance testing, they do that testing to avoid some jackass going out and thinking the car is a full-on race car and blowing it up and demanding that Chevrolet fix it for free.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:01 AM

warranty voided if you go to the track?!?! i highly doubt that. and yes GM intends for the car to be driven hard...why do you think they spend millions of dollars and hours testing these cars in rediculous conditions at rediculous speeds? did we just see a video of a 24hr ZL1athon? where they drove the car on a track for 24hrs strait? wtf is the point of that other than to make sure it cna withstand abuse? these cars are meant to be raced. if it wasnt, they wouldnt have dropped a supercharged motor in it and beefed up the suspension and tires.....this car is made for racing, and i would be shocked t o see gm void your warranty if you race it.
Yeah go take any Chevrolet out on a road course and see if they don't deny your warranty if they find out.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:16 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by STOCK1SC
Yeah go take any Chevrolet out on a road course and see if they don't deny your warranty if they find out.
Yup. There's a reason that some people cover their VIN and remove their license plate when they race their street car at a track.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:34 AM

ive had mine out and no one has ever asked me if i ever raced the car when i took it in for service...never heard of such a thing on chevys. heard of it with the gtr, but not a camaro or even a vette. kinda defeats the whole purpose of designing a car for racing then doesnt it? so they waste millions of dollars testing at the nurburgring and other tracks and you cant even race the car.....hmmm...kinda dumb. makes me wanna rethink my next purchase.

Last edited by 2010_5thgen; 09-20-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:44 AM
Admin Emeritus

The car is not "designed for racing". They will sell it with a "performance" slant, but you will never hear them say it is a "race car" because someone will be stupid and sue GM into oblivion when they screw up. That actually happened when a bunch of people watched Smokey and the Bandit and saw what Burt Reynolds did with a Trans Am. They went out, bought a "Bandit" style T/A and tried to replicate what they saw in the movie. When they failed miserably (draw your own conclusion as to what happened), GM got sued like you wouldn't believe. That is why after that, GM wouldn't allow their cars to be depicted that way in movies, TV, etc. for a very long time. True story.

They test many cars are the Ring, etc. That alone doesn't constitute a "race car". If it did, the Cobalt and CTS would be "race cars". They need performance data numbers to get ahead of the competition so they can sell a "performance" car that is superior to the competition...and for the reason mentioned above.

The bottom line is that if blow your car up and go to the dealership and say "I was racing this car at a track during a competition" they will more than likely flatly deny your warranty and possibly laugh you right out of the dealership.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:50 AM

sorry i didnt mean, designed for racing, but designed by racing..... going to the drag strip or track is not really concidered competition though...more or less fun. so any time you hit the track in a track day, your warranty is void from then on? but if you drag race on the streets ,your warranty is fine? and gm wonders why people drag race and street race.... it really makes no sense to show videos of them tearing a car up at the track and showing these amazing lap times...because you know what youll never do it... unless you wanna blow the warranty. kind of a stupid sales pitch.

Last edited by 2010_5thgen; 09-20-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:52 AM

I wouldn't order a fun car with an auto, hell if I could have gotten a Grand Cherokee with a stick I would have, however I think it's a good option. Maybe some older folks who don't want to deal with a stick will look into this more now and it could help sales and sales are what matter.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:11 AM

sorry i didnt mean, designed for racing, but designed by racing..... going to the drag strip or track is not really concidered competition though...more or less fun. so any time you hit the track in a track day, your warranty is void from then on? but if you drag race on the streets ,your warranty is fine? and gm wonders why people drag race and street race.... it really makes no sense to show videos of them tearing a car up at the track and showing these amazing lap times...because you know what youll never do it... unless you wanna blow the warranty. kind of a stupid sales pitch.
Well if you look at the tiny writing at the bottom of every car commercial they are basically telling you if you drive like they are in the commercial they will void your warranty. They all do it, it's just marketing, I mean do you really have as great a time drinking Pepsi or eating a snickers as they make them out to be in commercials? GM knows that perfomrnace car buyers like to hear Nurinburg tested and all that BS so they play it up. I mean my Cobalt was tested and all that mess on the Nurinburg but if I drove it on a track like that they would void me. Dodge was even worse with the SRT-4's. I went in one time to have my boost guage replaced and they were grilling me in the parking lot about modifications, exhausts, programming, etc.. I got tired of the hassle that came with that car because of the kids modifying them and tearing stuff up then expecting warranty work. One of the worst examples of GM marketing hype is the one for the windshield wipers for the Caddy CTS-V and how they work at 190mph like you could legally do that anywhere on the road in America.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:13 AM
Admin Emeritus

sorry i didnt mean, designed for racing, but designed by racing.....
It is a fine line. They have to make a "performance car" that is superior to the competition so they can sell them. But...they have to back up all claims. They cannot just say "Faster than a Mustang". It is more effective to sell the car when they can say that is has "racing" bloodlines. Whatever they say in order to sell the car...they have to be able to document and prove it. Look carefully...and you will see them disclaim things with very clever wording. They use things like "race-inspired".

Even the current ZR1 web site says this...
Here's what's possible when you apply everything you've learned in racing and engineering to a single automobile
That is completely different than saying...

Here's what's possible when you build and engineer a race car for the street and the track...
Some more background...

I work with GM legal on a near daily basis. Right now for one of my projects, there are some promo images that are displayed on the GM vehicle web sites. There has been a a delay going on for over a week between GM legal and the vehicle product manager, going back and forth over a just few words in a disclaimer. GM Vehicle Engineering had to be brought in to verify that the claim made in the disclaimer can be substantiated. Every word you ever see published by GM in a catalog, PDF, web site, radio ad, TV commercial, billboard, etc. goes through multiple rounds of legal review and revisions. They want to say everything they can that is true and factual that will help sell the car. Every company is like this, actually.

going to the drag strip or track is not really concidered competition though...
It definitely is! According to my research and experience, any "timed event" is a "competition". If they are not competing with another person or vehicle, they are competing with the clock itself.

so any time you hit the track in a track day, your warranty is void from then on?
Could be. It depends on the circumstances. The law is on their side. Here's how...

http://www.chevrolet.com/owners/warranty/

What Is Not CoveredAll the above items are not covered for damage due to accident, misuse, alteration, insufficient or improper maintenance, contaminated or poor quality fuel.
Misuse is the key word.

From this article...
http://www.edmunds.com/auto-warranty...-warranty.html

Misuse of the vehicle: This term can be interpreted in broad ways, and often includes racing/competition of any type, overloading the vehicle or off-roading. Potentially, anything outside of normal operation of the vehicle can be considered misuse. Some automakers will void your entire warranty for these infractions, and this decision is typically left to the discretion of the warranty administrator. Even if there is no proof but just signs of abuse, your warranty claim may be denied.

If you scour Internet message boards, there are plenty of articles noting how dealers and automakers monitor racing events (and even attend events to record license plate numbers) in order to deny warranty service the next time those cars come in for service. Though these may sound like conspiracy theories, you may want to think twice before competing in your car.
GM just wants to keep people from abusing the vehicle and then making GM pay for the damages. If they honored every warranty claim that was presented to them, they would be out of business quickly.

but if you drag race on the streets ,your warranty is fine? and gm wonders why people drag race and street race....
It goes back to "misuse". Even just doing a 0-100 blast in your car can be considered misuse.

People street race because they are stupid and have no regard for their life or the lives of others. I don't think GM will approve of that either.

Quick Reply: NEWS: Chevy expects over half of all Camaro ZL1 models to be automatic