2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

NEWS: Chevy expects over half of all Camaro ZL1 models to be automatic

Old 09-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Automated News Poster

Arrow NEWS: Chevy expects over half of all Camaro ZL1 models to be automatic

Filed under: Coupe, Performance, Chevrolet

Consider this a sign of the times: Even though Chevrolet is readying its highest-performance Camaro ever, General Motors executives are reportedly already hedging their bets that over 50 percent of all 2012 ZL1 orders will be for automatic transmission models.

The high expected order rate for automatics paired with the 6.2-liter, 580-horsepower ZL1 not only follows a growing market preference for two-pedal vehicles, it also suggests that even sporty car buyers are noting that advancements in design have all but eliminated the performance deficit long associated with this type of transmission.

Low take rates also means that fewer models are even available with manual transmissions, and it's a problem that's only getting more acute. With fewer new cars being fitted with manual transmissions, opportunities for learning how to drive a three-pedal car (along with people who can teach how to drive them) are fewer and further between. The result? Even fewer manual transmissions.

According to the Ward's Auto report, fully 89 percent of 2010 model-year passenger cars were fitted with automatic gearboxes. In the case of Chevrolet's Camaro, even the existing SS model is trending at 70 percent automatic, and that's higher than the 65 percent take rate among base Corvette purchasers.

The Oshawa, Ontario-built Camaro ZL1 is expected in dealers in the first quarter of 2012.

Chevy expects over half of all Camaro ZL1 models to be automatic originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 16 Sep 2011 13:59:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
Old 09-16-2011, 01:29 PM
Admin Emeritus

Re: NEWS: Chevy expects over half of all Camaro ZL1 models to be automatic

I found this very interesting. People politely criticized my choice of having an automatic in my Camaro, and it was something that I never considered before the paddle-shifting was available.
http://www.phantomss.com/some-though...6-over-the-m6/

I don't regret my decision, but I am very surprised that so many 2010 Camaro SS had automatic, and that 50% of the ZL1 models are expected to be as well. I guess the recent decision to offer the ZL1 with an auto was a smart one!
Old 09-16-2011, 01:43 PM

When I ordered my 2010, I ordered the manual. After reading about the paddle shifters, I changed the order (on the last day I could change) to automatic. It has allowed me to drive it every day with comfort, and allowed me to 'play' when I want to, by putting it in manual mode. I feel it's the best of both worlds and will get my ZL-1 that way, too!
Old 09-16-2011, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

If they electronically limit the top speed of the cars with automatic transmissions like they do with the CTS-V (in order to keep the output shaft RPM down) l'll get the manual. I have a feeling the ZL1 is going to have a pretty impressive top speed.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:03 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by sweet z
When I ordered my 2010, I ordered the manual. After reading about the paddle shifters, I changed the order (on the last day I could change) to automatic. It has allowed me to drive it every day with comfort, and allowed me to 'play' when I want to, by putting it in manual mode.
Agreed! And the sad part is, far too many people are uninformed and have an unfair opinion about the A6.

Originally Posted by 95 Z/28 LT1
If they electronically limit the top speed of the cars with automatic transmissions like they do with the CTS-V (in order to keep the output shaft RPM down) l'll get the manual.
What is that speed? I have been...up there...in the speedo and it didn't limit me.

EDIT...but my tuner may have removed it. I haven't heard of a top-speed limiter in the Camaro.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:04 PM

How fast would that be? Could be over-ridden?
Old 09-16-2011, 02:05 PM

wow...thats kinda sad. so the people who will be buying this ultra high performance race car, probably wont even know how to handle it or drive it...... basically they just have enough money to buy it and want to buy it to say its the baddest camaro made..... makes me sick....
Old 09-16-2011, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
Agreed! And the sad part is, far too many people are uninformed and have an unfair opinion about the A6.

What is that speed? I have been...up there...in the speedo and it didn't limit me.

EDIT...but my tuner may have removed it. I haven't heard of a top-speed limiter in the Camaro.
odds are you were tuned out of top speed. when my car was tuned they changed my top speed to 199. not that ill get it there, but now i can go faster than the limited 155.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:09 PM
Admin Emeritus

Is that right? And what is so "sad" and "sick" about an automatic with tap-shift? Do you think I don't know how to drive my car? Is there some sort of vehicle knowledge that you can only get when driving a manual car?

Just busting your chops...

The transmission doesn't make the driver. The driver does.

As far as the ZL1, they are testing the hell out of the A6, and the test drivers are finding that it is not as inferior to the M6 as some would think. Again...it is about the driver.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:12 PM
Admin Emeritus

Just found my own answer about the top speed in this thread...
https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=681190

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
Someone asked me -- I think it may have been Guy -- at what speed the fuel shut-off is set on the new Camaro.

The fuel shutoff is mandated based on the speed rating of the tire at the point of manufacture.

For the 2010 Camaro:

18 inch wheel/tire combination on the LS model is speed limited to 118.

All other 19 and 20 inch wheel/tire combinations from the factory are limited to 155.

PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FIND OUT UNLESS YOU ARE ON A TRAFFIC-CONTROLLED TRACK!!!

too often we forget that there IS the law of physics -- and it takes a while to go from 155 to zero..........Brembos or not!
I am thinking the ZL1 may be different, though...since it is largely a different animal.

However, it also invokes the question I asked in that thread...

All internet egos aside, why would you ever want to go faster than 155mph?
Very, very few people will need to in very very few instances.

I have been on the other side of 150 a couple of times. I have nothing to prove and no reason to do it again.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Just off the top of my head thinking of the CTS-V for the auto its like 172 or 174, and the manual is over 190. Like 192 or something? Ill look because I'm pretty sure I read it in a CTS-V press release.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:21 PM
Admin Emeritus

Anyone who seriously thinks that high of a speed limit is too low needs to stop and think about what they are planning. Either that or they are pro drivers and can get around the top speed limiter for a closed-course test run. Either way, if they don't have sponsors I hope they have insurance.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Road & Track says the automatic CTS-V is limited at 175.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/up...ac-cts-v-coupe
Old 09-16-2011, 02:38 PM

Is that right? And what is so "sad" and "sick" about an automatic with tap-shift? Do you think I don't know how to drive my car? Is there some sort of vehicle knowledge that you can only get when driving a manual car?

Just busting your chops...

The transmission doesn't make the driver. The driver does.

As far as the ZL1, they are testing the hell out of the A6, and the test drivers are finding that it is not as inferior to the M6 as some would think. Again...it is about the driver.
the tap shift is not like a ferrari...if it were, thats a different story. but a car like this should be standard shift. and i also believe it shouldnt come in a vert. it takes away from the idea nd the concept of the car. and most people that buy automatics do it because they either dont like shifting, dont know how to, or are just lazy. there are some people that buy it for the eas of driving, but i do not concider chevys "tap shift" to be a sporty option for the zl1. but thats how they plan on selling these cars. and it needs to be there to help sell to those random lazy people. not to mention majority of the people that buy these cars, will sit it in their garage and take it to car shows on sunday.
and actually, yes! there is some vehicle knowledge you can only get from a manual.....its called how to use a clutch! unless your in professional racing like indy,or certain road racing classes with paddle shifters...milli second shifting paddle shifters. all the other cars are manual.theres alot of people out there that dont klnow how to drive stick. so i understand the need for an auto to sell these cars.....it just defeats the purpose.

Last edited by 2010_5thgen; 09-16-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:03 PM

Yeah I wouldn't doubt there will be a big demand for the auto, it will be faster 0-60 and in the 1/4mile most likely. Probably steal a bunch of Gt500 sales due to the lack of an auto option in that halo car. The thing I like is Chevy isn't adding any of that AFM bull**** on the motor in the auto's like they did with the L99 and Dodge is doing with the SRT8's now which means crappy exhaust sounds unless you delete it and void the warranty. I'm actually giving the ZL1 a look now after everything I've been reading. Hopefully the price isn't too far from the SRT8's.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NEWS: Chevy expects over half of all Camaro ZL1 models to be automatic