2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEWS: Chevrolet Camaro convertible on hold

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 03:10 PM
Automated News Poster

Arrow NEWS: Chevrolet Camaro convertible on hold

Filed under: Convertibles, Chevrolet, GM

Click above for a high-res gallery of the Chevrolet Camaro convertible concept

We weren't surprised when Chrysler decided to nix plans for a Dodge Challenger convertible. The LX-based coupe wasn't developed with a drop-top variant in mind and it would've taken far too much cash to shore up the chassis with the roof removed. And if you hadn't heard, Chrysler isn't doing too well in the cash department.

Now, MotorTrend is reporting that General Motors is delaying the launch of the Chevrolet Camaro Convertible for the same reason, putting off the introduction for another year as the General attempts to keep its head above these financially troubled waters. Spending on such extravagances is hard to justify for both GM and consumers, and if the Federal bailout goes through, it's safe to assume that legislators and the public us would have hard time seeing our tax dollars being used to sell a niche vehicle.

Gallery: Chevy Camaro Convertible Concept

[Source: MotorTrend]Chevrolet Camaro convertible on hold originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 13 Nov 2008 15:58:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
Old 11-13-2008, 04:59 PM

So its ok to use the money to build vehicles that will drop in value as fast as your 401k but not on a car that will actually have a fair value in 25 years.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:28 PM

http://www.motortrend.com/features/a...old/index.html
Chrysler will not offer a Dodge Challenger convertible. The car is "dead as a doornail," a source says. And the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro convertible planned for midyear 2009 is on hold. Blame thin operating capital at Chrysler LLC and General Motors, the latter determined to fend off bankruptcy.

Chrysler designed the LX-based Challenger without planning for a convertible. That may be hard to believe, but it means re-engineering the unibody Challenger as a convertible would take the kind of money that Chrysler doesn't have.

The Camaro convertible is off the table probably for a year as GM tries to save cash and claw its way back to profitability. Analysts predict U.S. car and light truck sales in '09 will be even worse than in '08 and the Chevy Volt and Cruze will have to succeed before GM can spend on such extravagances. Whether the Camaro convertible comes back from the hiatus depends on how well GM weathers the storm. If GM's situation improves, Chevrolet could return the Camaro convertible to its product plans for the 2011 model year, just in time to add a fresh new version of the car.

This is good news for Ford, which suffered steep declines in Mustang sales in 2008. The V-6 Mustang convertible has otherwise been a strong seller in the Ford lineup.
Q: Did anyone other than MotorTrend expect the convertible to by a MY2010 vehicle?
Old 11-13-2008, 05:36 PM

This article appaers to be an old article, something we already knew. There is no date on this article! We have heard nothing official from GM to state otherwise, it was delayed to MY 2011 a while ago.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:27 PM

i kind of knew it was coming. Honestly, I really hope that GM pulls through. I mean the Japanese have done such a good job advertising their quality, and GM's quality has improved a lot, but even look at a company like Toyota, there down 64%.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:53 PM

The only thing that isn't on hold at GM is the reminder notice when you are late on a payment.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:56 PM

I figured that this would happen. I'd think the Z28 is on indefinate hold as well. I worry that IF GM gets the bailout that the Gov't will come in and cut their lineup to bread and butter vehicles in line with CAFE that can bring in large sales and maybe profits. As hard as the Camaro is to sell to GM's beancounters I would imagine the Gov't economists would even be less impressed. The money is spent on the 5th Gen but as soon as it sales dive or it's time for a model update I could see them moving in different direction.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:44 AM

Before this thread takes on a life of it's own, at the present time and from what I can tell, the story is another example of false and/or misleading journalism.

The story proclaims that the Camaro convertible production is put off "for another year".

The fact is that the Camaro convertible is still slated for production in another year... 2011....AS SCHEDULED!

As I've mentioned with thse types of stories in the past, a simple and well know fact is fluffed up and turned into breaking news and bent to lead the reader in a direction that provokes a reaction... to pick up the publication and read more... or even better... buy the publication.

Writers are under pressure to submit anything do just that when there's little news to report. At the moment, all the big guns are either gearing up for the auto shows or following the continuing bailout and government loans stories. Just as often as not, writers have a journalism degree and were hired to write about automobiles though their knowledge about them is so small that they don't know how or where to research, or (as in the case of this story) is written by someoone with little experience in professional news writing.

The story here is that there isn't a story. I doubt there is a single person on this site that doidn't know that the convertible Camaro would be out the following model year after the coupe debuts.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:22 AM

right... but giving it a negative spin... does no help the situation... giving GM another small dark spot... why not say.. the convertible is as schedule.. or just not write... instead of misinforming people.

Most people just follow whatever the media says... and that's the sad part... oh well...
Old 11-14-2008, 07:41 AM

I must have read that wrong, b/c it looks like MT is reporting that the vert is on hold and may return to the lineup. On hold and delayed are two different things. So is progress on the vert continuing or is it actually off the table until later?
Old 11-14-2008, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 3rdGenNut
So its ok to use the money to build vehicles that will drop in value as fast as your 401k but not on a car that will actually have a fair value in 25 years.
What difference does that make to the manufacturer?

Originally Posted by GTOJack
The only thing that isn't on hold at GM is the reminder notice when you are late on a payment.
Are you complaining?
Old 11-14-2008, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by jcamere94z28
right... but giving it a negative spin... does no help the situation... giving GM another small dark spot... why not say.. the convertible is as schedule.. or just not write... instead of misinforming people.

Most people just follow whatever the media says... and that's the sad part... oh well...
Well in case you have not noticed, the mainstream media is VERY biased on things, especially when it comes to politics and foreign cars!
Old 11-14-2008, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by missmy79
I must have read that wrong, b/c it looks like MT is reporting that the vert is on hold and may return to the lineup. On hold and delayed are two different things. So is progress on the vert continuing or is it actually off the table until later?
But if you read Guy's post, the convertible isn't actually on hold, it just isn't scheduled until the 2011MY. Now, the Z/28 on the otherhand, is on hold.