2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

New OnStar feature for 09

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 07:10 PM

New OnStar feature for 09

Attention to all Bad Boy's who think they can out run the Law in a Camaro! OnStar has a new feature called Vehicle Slowdown which will be part of the 1ss and 2ss 2010 Camaro's.
http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp...opup.jsp?tab=1
Old 02-14-2009, 07:49 PM

That is nuts! A useful tool, I just hope it isn't abused by authorities.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:55 PM

If you paid attention, it requires the owner to contact OnStar, not law enforcement (at least that's how I understood it). I see it as a stolen vehicle recovery tool, nothing more. And the reality is in this day and age it is difficult to outrun the law between radios and airplanes/choppers. Sure it happens, but it is difficult, much more so than years ago.
Clyde
Old 02-14-2009, 09:46 PM

Big Brother is watching
Old 02-14-2009, 10:11 PM

How do I remove it?
Old 02-14-2009, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by TOO Z MAXX
How do I remove it?
Yea, really... I hate these features. I live in Detroit so I know I thing or two, when it comes to crime. You need to learn how to protect your car better, not onstar to save the day.

These features get abused pretty quickly, I don't want anyone or anything ever tracking me. When I'm with my car, I want me and her to be the only one knowing where were at.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:55 AM

Is it lawful for this type of over ride?
Old 02-15-2009, 01:18 AM

If you listen it says you have to subcribe to this feature, but if you have the directions feature they can tell where you are, within 10 feet
Old 02-15-2009, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by hotdeal
If you listen it says you have to subcribe to this feature, but if you have the directions feature they can tell where you are, within 10 feet
question for you. do they give you a code to put into the onstar to activate it? or when you subscribe it all of the sudden works? Just curious, because then law enforcement could use those two features whether you have subscribed to it or not. That is, if you do not have to do anything but call onstar.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by King Moose SS
Yea, really... I hate these features. I live in Detroit so I know I thing or two, when it comes to crime. You need to learn how to protect your car better, not onstar to save the day.

These features get abused pretty quickly, I don't want anyone or anything ever tracking me. When I'm with my car, I want me and her to be the only one knowing where were at.
They can already track you with most cell phones. How do you protect your car better, put one of those worthless siren/noisemakers on it that gets activated and ignored? Oh, I know, park it in your bedroom when you go to bed at night. I think there is a lot of "paranoia" being expressed in this thread, I think OnStar makes an excellent anti-theft device between it's tracking ability and now the engine slowdown feature.
Clyde
Old 02-15-2009, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by graham
Is it lawful for this type of over ride?
Is it lawful to steal an automobile?
Clyde
Old 02-15-2009, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by wildpaws
They can already track you with most cell phones. How do you protect your car better, put one of those worthless siren/noisemakers on it that gets activated and ignored? Oh, I know, park it in your bedroom when you go to bed at night. I think there is a lot of "paranoia" being expressed in this thread, I think OnStar makes an excellent anti-theft device between it's tracking ability and now the engine slowdown feature.
Clyde
For one you have to know where to park your car, so many people are stupied and park there car in the most exposed area's. Secondly, there are always ways where you can disable your engine, but only you would know how to undisable it. Then the rims, rim locks work quite well.

With the exception of those "gone in 60 seconds" car theifs, most are terrible and if they can't hot wire or key pick your car, they'll give up and leave.

I think Onstar makes a great anti-theft device, but I don't care that they can, if I wanted onstar I would ask for it. Now Onstar is standard on so many vehicles its becoming a nusiance. I don't want it. If I crash, and I can't get to a phone, so be it... No one is going to steal my car ever without my hands around thier neck, so I don't want onstar
Old 02-15-2009, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by King Moose SS
For one you have to know where to park your car, so many people are stupied and park there car in the most exposed area's. Secondly, there are always ways where you can disable your engine, but only you would know how to undisable it. Then the rims, rim locks work quite well.

With the exception of those "gone in 60 seconds" car theifs, most are terrible and if they can't hot wire or key pick your car, they'll give up and leave.

I think Onstar makes a great anti-theft device, but I don't care that they can, if I wanted onstar I would ask for it. Now Onstar is standard on so many vehicles its becoming a nusiance. I don't want it. If I crash, and I can't get to a phone, so be it... No one is going to steal my car ever without my hands around thier neck, so I don't want onstar
Where to park your car does not always have much choice, at my house it can be in my driveway or curbside right next to my driveway, there is no such thing as a non-exposed area at my house. If you really don't want OnStar just struggle through the first year of free service and then don't renew it, pretty simple really.
Clyde

Last edited by wildpaws; 02-15-2009 at 09:58 PM. Reason: text
Old 02-15-2009, 09:56 PM

Where to park your car does not always have much choice, at my house it can be in my driveway or curbside right next to my driveway, there is no such thig as a non-exposed area at my house. If you really don't want OnStar just struggle through the first year of free service and then don't renew it, pretty simple really.
Clyde
Most cars are not stolen when its at your property.

but w/e, if I'm gonna be free I guess I have to buy the old camaro's
Old 02-15-2009, 10:29 PM

Is it lawful to steal an automobile?
Clyde
No its not.

Is it lawful for a 3rd party to manipulate your car? In Mississippi your car is an extension of your home. Is there a federal or state law on the books making it lawful for 3rd party intervention on your car?

Quick Reply: New OnStar feature for 09