2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Camaro Interior

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 09:32 AM

if u care about interior and ergonomics so much maybe this isnt the car for you. Muscle cars are supposed to be ugly, mean, and brute, not comfortable with a plushy interior and shiny buttons and trims. It looks like the interior serves all the functions i need, it has a seat, a radio, a/c ducts, and a steering wheel. I dont care if its made from recycled coke bottles and it rattle... i've owned a 2000 Camaro SS for the past 4 years, im used to it
Old 03-25-2009, 10:07 AM

Okay, I've complained about interior "quality" on my 4th gen before, so I'm guilty of this too. But we need to be realisitic about interiors.

At all price levels, in all cars, people complain about the interior. It's almost like a clique in high school, it's the cool thing to do and it makes you sound like a connoisseur.

But consider this - The cars that y'all have trotted out as golden examples of fine interiors - Cayenne, S5, G35, 350Z, G37, 370Z - their owners & admirers complain about their interiors all day long too! Yes, even VW and Audi, with the interiors most admired by automotive journalists, get complaints about their interiors. Owners of current BMW 3, 5, and 7s complain (usually that their cars aren't as nice as 1980s 3, 5, and 7s). The Porsche guys are nto shy about criticizing their own interiors. Everyone complains.

The point is that even if you plopped a BMW 335i interior into the 2010 Camaro, it would up the cost of the car, and people would still complain. I think it's because people are chasing an ideal interior that never existed and never will exist. Aston Martin owners complain! - yeah it's wrapped in leather in the color of your choice, but I've seen a V8 Vantage with the leather on the dash coming loose after only a year. No interior is perfect.

Now, let's take a realistic look at what we have with the 2010 Camaro - or at least what we can tell from pictures and from poking around the various vehicles Chevy has had at autoshows and lent to media outlets - We get great panel fits, no exposed mold lines, seats that are comfortable, supportive, and have a substantial flex free feel. The areas you touch (seats, shifter, wheel, center console ) all have a solid feel and are available wrapped in nice leather with stitching that is a visual delight. We get a wheel and stereo setup unique in the GM world. The buttons and switches give consistent, positive feedback when you push them (i.e. they feel nice and you can tell that you have pushed them). We even got ambient lighting in the doors like a BMW.

We'll have to get it out on the road to see how it does with scuff resistance, clean up, rattles, glare, etc.., but man it sounds like we've got it pretty nice!
Old 03-25-2009, 10:10 AM

this car is a huge upgrade from the 4th gen interior
Old 03-25-2009, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by 96_Camaro_B4C
It's interesting that you drive an '08 CTS with the DI 3.6L.

The Camaro has that exact same powertrain (not a cheap one), a very similar chassis, and so on. But the CTS is a $30k-$50k car (excluding the V), whereas the Camaro is a $23k - $40k car.

That extra money is going to buy some nice interior materials that the Camaro has to do without.
I totally agree. I'm just saying since my next car will be a new Camaro SS, I am interested in seeing the interior for myself.

I haven't been able to do that yet.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

CamaroZ282008, are you under the impression that the interior could be made using nicer materials without increasing price or weight? I see that you've been here a couple of years, so surely you must have seen all of the discussions about how GM did everything they could to keep cost and weight down while still providing something true to the Camaro name. Right?

I'm sure we'd all love it if Camaro had a nicer interior, but the honest truth is that it can't be done without negatively affecting the price and/or the weight. The Camaro has the nicest interior they could give it without pushing either of those things too far.

I've sat in one of the new Camaros, and I have to tell you -- while the dash plastics are hard, the the surfaces that really count (seat, steering wheel, shifter) are quite nice.

Originally Posted by Eric77TA
The LS3 sells for around $7,000 as a crate motor - pretty close to the price differential between V6 and SS.
Keep in mind that you get to subtract the cost of the DI3.6 before adding the cost of the LS3. Then keep in mind that there are dozens of other differences between the LS/LT and the SS.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:09 PM

Where to start. People and auto magazines rave about European interiors. I HATE every euopean interior I've ever seen. And that goes for Japanese interiors too. I will give a nod to the way some of the gauges light up in some of the newer imports. Not the touch of the material per say, just the style that grates on me with imports. Mercedes, BMW, VW, Audi, Volvo, YUCK. I don't like the style. I do love the style of the Camaro's interior. Having spend quite a bit of time in one at the Jax Auto Show I was very impressed. As long as the dash doesn't crack like the one in my 99 Trans Am I'll be happy.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Keep in mind that you get to subtract the cost of the DI3.6 before adding the cost of the LS3. Then keep in mind that there are dozens of other differences between the LS/LT and the SS.
I was just making a rough comparison. I don't know what the cost of the 3.6 is, but I'd guess the growing economies of scale do probably keep it cheaper than the LS3.

The main point I was trying to make is your first one - on the SS you're sacrificing interior materials for hardware that counts. As you know, the guys who buy an SS probably don't want to give up their Brembos for a soft touch dash.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by CamaroZ282008
Heres the Porsche Cayenne dash for the smooth dash material reference
That dash looks as bad as the Challenger I dont care if it is a porshce.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
CamaroZ282008, are you under the impression that the interior could be made using nicer materials without increasing price or weight? I see that you've been here a couple of years, so surely you must have seen all of the discussions about how GM did everything they could to keep cost and weight down while still providing something true to the Camaro name. Right?

I'm sure we'd all love it if Camaro had a nicer interior, but the honest truth is that it can't be done without negatively affecting the price and/or the weight. The Camaro has the nicest interior they could give it without pushing either of those things too far.

I've sat in one of the new Camaros, and I have to tell you -- while the dash plastics are hard, the the surfaces that really count (seat, steering wheel, shifter) are quite nice.

I'm under the impression that even though GM say's they did the best they could with this new Camaro SS, that they could of done just a little better. Price wise I'd like to know how much it'd cost roughly to make the part's I mentioned in the gloss black verses that gray that makes up the HVAC/Radio area? How much more would it of costed to add two simple chrome/aluminum trim rings around the main buttons on the HVAC/Radio? I've been here since the Camaro concept debuted in Detroit and joined this forum specifically since seeing the 2006 Concept Car. I've been a fan ever since, read almost all the threads leading up to the production car etc...I think GM could of done better.

As far as weight is concerned would a nicer quality feeling and looking HVAC/Radio unit, a couple interior gloss black trim pieces and a few Aluminum Vanier trim pieces really add that much? I'm not saying to make the dash out of the finest Leather, all I'm trying to bring up is the Plastic's for the most part could of been better. Meaning textures, feel and appearance. I've read, responded to a ton of these interior threads with suggestion's long before the production car came out, yet it seems the interior quality kind of got shafted besides the panel fitment(Great) and design(subjective). Keeping the character of the Camaro was realitively simple- Strong motor, great chassis and iconic body. However the area which also shares alot with previous camaro's (interior) should be just as well finished quality wise as the Great exterior.

Something as simple as the color, texture and finish of the HVAC/Radio, console pieces could really wake this car up quality wise. The soft touch dash plastic would make the interior even nicer and the Aluminum Vanier pieces would just add to the Muscular and sophisticed look represented outside.

As for one of the poster's saying the new Mustang interior is not better quality wise then the new Camaro, I'd beg to differ. The aluminum trim is real, not some painted on fake alumiplastic look and the entire dash is a one piece unit making it appear smoother with very high grade soft touch materials in abundance. The 2005-2009 S197 is Hard plastic with the fake aluminum trim minus the shelby's and is not as nice as the new Camaro's interior however.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
That dash looks as bad as the Challenger I dont care if it is a porshce.
That color is realllyyy ugly too. It looks like burnt skin.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:12 PM

I'm not trying to be mean here but in your first post you spelled satin as satan and it really made me laugh, not at you but it sounds funny when you read it as it is spelled.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by tgashie
I'm not trying to be mean here but in your first post you spelled satin as satan and it really made me laugh, not at you but it sounds funny when you read it as it is spelled.
Haha thanks for pointing that out , I diden't even notice that and I'll correct it.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:53 PM
Admin Emeritus

I'd leave it.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:16 AM

The devil made him do it.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:38 PM

Smile

maybe GM could make it an option a satan dash cover

Quick Reply: New Camaro Interior