2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

New Camaro = Looks like a Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 11:45 AM

Re: New Camaro = Looks like a Mustang

Ironically back in the day when non-enthusiasts started seeing what was to become the 1967 Chevrolet Camaro for the first time, a large number of them asked, "Is that the new Mustang?"

I wouldn't be too worried about it. Being compared to Mustang has never hurt the Camaro before.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by turbo96z28
if that's the case.............the b!tching has only just begun...............
In the spirit of the holiday "Oh come all ye faitful"
Old 12-12-2005, 11:57 AM

Yep.
Where is that quote when you need it.

Any Chevy can be an SS, but only a Z/28 can be a Camaro....doest sound right when I say it, but you catch my drift.
Saying that SS should be #1 on a site that is titled CamaroZ28.com, on top of the fact that you are a newb only compacts the e-beat down you have coming.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:01 PM

Think of it this way...

... the Z28 was orginally created as a road racing version of the Camaro, whereas the Super Sport was Chevrolet's performance and luxury trim package for all of their models.

If Z28 is to return with the new Camaro, shouldn't you expect something closer to what the Z06 is to the Corvette?

But alas this discussion should be part of a different thread.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:02 PM

Yup...The top/rear of the quarters look just like the Mustang. They'd look more Camaroish if they were rounded (more like a first gen).

Frank
Old 12-12-2005, 12:09 PM

The guys I go to school with all said it looked like a Mustang. I had to point out the various 1st-gen clues in the concept, and told them if they saw a picture of a 1st gen they'd say it looked like a Camaro.

the average car buyer can barely tell the difference between their head and their ***. To them, whatever car has the most exposure in a certain genre will be the car they compare everything else to. Obviously, the new Mustang got a lot of publicity when it came out, so it's rooted in people's minds now. Anything that comes out in the pony car category will "look like" a Mustang to those people.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:09 PM

My dad said that too and he is 55. Although, not really a car enthusiast he is a car guy... He did own a 68 Chevelle when he was in high school/college and his brother owned a 67 Z28 (302) which got stolen which got replaced with a 68 Camaro.

In fact my uncle has told me numerous stories of racing his 67 on I465 (Indy) to make the car payments, LOL.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:13 PM

If this new Camaro was already out before the new Mustang, would these same people say that the Mustang looks like a Camaro?

To say that the clay model looks like a Mustang is truely laughable.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:16 PM

are you kidding me, a 8 year old and a woman. That might know a little. I've seen this pictures, nothing like a mustang 100% camaro.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:02 PM

To me it definatley in no way resembles a mustang except that there both 2 door muscle cars. The stang just looks like the old one, while the new camaro concept looks a little like the old and a little bit of new mixed. I wish it would have been completely new but still looks way better than the stang, and its just a concept so it will probably look even better when finished. Same could be said for the challenger concept, it looks like the old one. Whats the fun in that? I must be missing something
Old 12-12-2005, 01:29 PM

I do not see it either, but I showed th epictures to 3 different co-workers at 3 different times, and all of them said it looks like a Mustang

I thought I was the only one who got that kind of feedback. WTF?
Old 12-12-2005, 03:30 PM

I don't think it neccesarily looks like a Mustang, but then again it definitely doesn't look like any Camaro besides a 1st gen. I think that the problem is that people are used to seeing a new Camaro that has obvious ties to the one that came before it. You can look at a '92 Z/28 and a '93 Z/28 side by side and quite clearly see many similarities between the two. There was a natural progression from one to the next...All of that has seemingly been lost on the new car which to me looks like more of an attempt to divert possible Mustang buyers into Camaros. I mean I really can't blame GM for it, they have to do what they have to do to sell them....Who I really blame is Ford. Had they not been so unimaginative and so uncreative we wouldn't have this problem. I'm sure that if Ford had made a fresh, new Mustang our new Camaro would have followed suit. So yes, I guess to me the new concept looks more of what I would expect from a Mustang and much less of what I would expect and hope for in the form of a new Camaro
Old 12-12-2005, 03:32 PM

Enthusiast sees a camaro because we know the history of the cars.
Everyone else sees a car that is "copying" the Mustang design sadly, and that does not bode well for stealing any of them away from Ford.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:40 PM

Agreed, if and when I get my new Camaro I want to just be able to tell people I have a Z28...Anyone who knows anything about cars would realize that I have one kickass Camaro On the other hand you tell people you have an SS and they'll probably start asking you if you have a new "high performance" Aveo or something...I will have none of that

Top Camaro= Z28 or Z/28...doesn't matter that much to me though I think I may prefer it w/o the slash

It should go- Base, RS, SS, Z28 (w/ availible 1LE option pack), and if GM feels so inclined...ZL1
Old 12-12-2005, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by grossesexy
Enthusiast sees a camaro because we know the history of the cars.
Everyone else sees a car that is "copying" the Mustang design sadly, and that does not bode well for stealing any of them away from Ford.
This unfortunately is very true...My little bro's, (who knows nothing about cars BTW), first comment was, "Why the hell did they make it look like the new Mustang? It looks so ugly." My other little brother who likes Mustangs thought it looked OK but that it looked like a Mustang...My friend, (Who loves Camaros), said that he was disappointed that the new Camaro looked like a new Mustang. He commented though that in a way it was good because when he got his LT1 he would know the new one wasn't better looking... Basically everyone that I've talked to who has seen it, the first thing they associate with is the new Mustang. Whether or not it really looks like one isn't the issue here. The issue is that it's retroish styling will naturally make people associate it with the Mustang which I don't think is a good thing

Quick Reply: New Camaro = Looks like a Mustang