2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Camaro = Looks like a Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 09:03 AM

Re: New Camaro = Looks like a Mustang

I don't think the "it looks like a Mustang" comment necessarily comes from someone who isn't in the know regarding cars. It is really an indication of how artistic or detail oriented they are.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:13 AM

I just think they need to do something with that vent in front of the rear wheel. That's one of those "makes it look like a mustang" items. My initial thought is that it just needs to be removed from the car. If it has to stay, I hope it's at least functional. One thing I do not want to see on any Camaro is non-functional scoops, louvers, cowls, etc. If you're going to put it on there, make it work.

I've seen the ones on the 99-04 stangs and they are ghastly up close.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:21 AM

I can see how people would think it looks like a Mustang

-The open grill (all though I see a difference... many people wouldn't)
-The side air ducts as mentioned earlier..

But the biggest one I think, is actually the fender flares... They look identicle to the stangs (at least the last body style, not entirely sure about the new stang)
Old 12-12-2005, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by rlax31
I don't see it either, but almost every non-car person I've shown it to says the same thing.
Exactly.

My girlfriend, who doesn't really care too much about Camaros and the like, said the concept looked like the Mustang.

Old 12-12-2005, 09:44 AM

Maybe they mean it look sretro to the 1st gen as the Mustang looks retro to its first?

It definately does not look like a Ford of any breed or age.

As far as what it does look like... I like how they took it back to the 1st gen without replicating it like Ford did. I think (and its just my lil opinion) Ford punked out when it came time to form a design a forward car after '04. It wasnt a bad idea by any means and it is an interesting car.... im just glad Chevy isnt going straight for a two-thousand-sixty-nine Camaro.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:17 AM

As many have said... My Wife said the same thing! It does resemble the mustang... As someone else said, it shouldn't be surprising, it is the same "genre" of a car, to the same target audience. It should be similiar, although retain it's own distinction.
Obviously, any F-body enthusiast will be able to see the distinction between the two.

Needless to say, I can't wait till this thing hits production!
Old 12-12-2005, 10:28 AM

I had a coworker who said "It looks like the new Mustang."

I have to agree with those who think this just comes more out of naiveté than anything else. I pulled up a 69 Camaro and a 69 Mustang and he goes "Oh, those look alike, too!" Yeah, they're both pony cars, and Camaro has traditional ponycar design cues, but I see nothing Ford-like at all in the images we've seen.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:32 AM
Prominent Member

I had a young girl....18-ish ask me if my 1969 RS/SS was a Mustang.....I considered the source.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:48 AM

I also think that most non car and even slightly car people would think that this looks like a Mustang. I think because it looks retro, LIKE the Mustang, that people say "It looks like a Mustang."
Guy at the local car spot a few years ago had a Cuda, with a sweet paint job, Twin Turbo Viper V10 mated to a 6spd with pistol grip shifter, big 18 and 20's, just a killer car (was actualy in PHR mag a week later), someone said "Nice Camaro"
Old 12-12-2005, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Doug Harden
I had a young girl....18-ish ask me if my 1969 RS/SS was a Mustang.....I considered the source.
Doug, I believe I would have had to back-hand that 18-ish young lady if she had asked me if my 69 RS/SS was a Mustang... RS/SS's from 67-69 are in my opinion one of the best looking cars ever produced.

Back to the subject, let me go ahead and beat this dead horse a little longer and say, it is the sources you guys are asking, and it's the common shape of the "pony car" that is causing this response.

Take sportbikes for instance. 2 years ago I could not tell you the difference between a GSXR and a R6 unless I saw the name on the side of the bike. It's not that they're the same, it's just that they both utilize the same "basic" shape and design. Now look at them upclose and ride both on the track and it's a totally different story. The more you study anything the more characteristics you find to distinguish it from other like things.

Comparing Camaros and Mustangs is not like comparing apples to oranges it's more like comparing oranges to tangerines.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:14 AM

Most poeple just dont care as much as we do.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Gunny Highway
What clay model concept are we talking about?

Where you under some sort of e-rock or in an e-cave?
Old 12-12-2005, 11:31 AM

my girl (who replied in the waht do women think thread) said the only thing about that car that remonded her of the Mustang is the ""kick real hard in the a$$" rear of the car. she is more of a minority, being a diehard Mustang girl, but most of my friends in the 23-27 age group who are not really into cars have just said it looked really cool.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by NikiVee
It looks nothing like a Mustang. That is laughable.
To you, maybe...but even I see a similarity in the inherent design. Think about it...how similar is a 4th gen in appearance to a '94-'04 Mustang?

Ok, now how similar is our concept to the '05+ Stang? Case closed. You can see the difference...and so can I. But Joe Car Buyer? They do look VERY similar...

My fiance, who knows more about cars than any woman I know, proclaimed "the nose looks like a Charger, and the rest looks like a Mustang, sorta" when she saw it.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Gunny Highway
However, if the Z28 gets an LS2 and the SS gets a de-tuned LS7, I think most of the bitching will stop.

if that's the case.............the b!tching has only just begun...............

Quick Reply: New Camaro = Looks like a Mustang