2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Camaro = Looks like a Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 07:10 AM

New Camaro = Looks like a Mustang

Personally, I don't see it but I've shown the pic to 3 people and they all said the same thing......Looks like a Mustang.

And these 3 people are totally different. One is my wife, who probably knows more about cars than the average woman, but not by a whole lot. One was my 8 year old son, who knows more about cars than most 8 yr olds, thanks to his old man. The other is my co-worker. He's owned all kinds of cars in his life, including several Camaros and Firebirds.

Anyone else heard this??

Old 12-12-2005, 07:13 AM
Prominent Member

Re: New Camaro = Looks like a Mustang

In all fairness, the original pony cars had the same proportions..long hood, low stance, short trunk....and with the open grille, it's probably not that unexpected for non-enthusiasts to say the first thing that comes to mind.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by DaxsZ28
Personally, I don't see it but I've shown the pic to 3 people and they all said the same thing......Looks like a Mustang.

And these 3 people are totally different. One is my wife, who probably knows more about cars than the average woman, but not by a whole lot. One was my 8 year old son, who knows more about cars than most 8 yr olds, thanks to his old man. The other is my co-worker. He's owned all kinds of cars in his life, including several Camaros and Firebirds.

Anyone else heard this??

Oh man, I hope that's not the popular opinion on those concept pics.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:16 AM

Yeah, I have heard a few people say this.

I don't think it looks like a Mustang at all but you have two cars that are designed after cars in the same era so both those cars are going to have similar design elements. It's hard to say if a large group of the public would think that this Camaro looks like a Mustang but let's hope not.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:17 AM

I dont see it. The clay model had some sharp edges and a chisled, sharper look. The Mustang has a round green house, slab sides, and really just a flat look all the way around.

The clay model had had the early first gen crease worked into the sides, it had the slight first gen lines on the bottom of the doors and lower panels. Had a C6 like rear end, and a blend of second and first gen on the front. All together it has more styling than that of the Mustang IMHO.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:25 AM

It looks nothing like a Mustang. That is laughable.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:28 AM

I don't see it either, but almost every non-car person I've shown it to says the same thing.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:37 AM

I think its because the 1st gen Camaro isnt as iconic a design as the origonal Mustangs were. Almost anyone can point out a '67 Stang, but I wouldnt be suprised if you showed someone a '67 Camaro and they called it a Nova or a Chevelle if they even knew it was a Chevy. I'm talking a wide range of ages from elementary school kids up to adults.

I honesty believe that the 2nd and 3rd gens are more easily recognized by non-enthuisest than the first gens. Maybe somene else can chime in on this.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by DaxsZ28

Anyone else heard this??

Yep seen several comments on other internet boards stating the same. From the ones I’ve seen it also seems these comments are coming from the non-enthusiast, that seem pretty young and most likely haven't ever seen or actually be able to recognize older generations of Camaro's and Mustang's. I think these same people that make these comments are really only familiar with the current Mustang’s style. Some may not even KNOW that’s it’s a retro design. They may have heard retro but really have never seen the two side by side.

I can't honestly say how someone could perceive the concept Camaro to "look like a Mustang" if they had actually seen a 1st gen car or familiar with other gens. Thus these same people most definitely wouldn't catch the subtle hints of other generations in it as well. This may in well show some of the Challenges ahead for marketing to differentiate the Camaro so that when the general non-enthusiast sees it they say Camaro, and not “it looks like a Mustang”, or “Is that a Mustang?”.

These “looks like a Mustang” comments aren't necessary a bad thing. The Mustang is a good looking stylish car. It sold 170,000+ in the first model year. So if the Camaro can hop on the gravy train, that can’t necessary be a bad thing. So in what we here might consider the uneducated buyers, saying "looks like a Mustang", can't say that's exactly a bad thing.

In January after the concept is shown, more pics, details etc, those comments might change as right now there are only a handful of pre-concept pics to make "looks like" decisions from. Thus one of the reasons GM might have really liked to have the concept debut at NAIAS under their terms with their marketing program/strategy in motion, rather than a few pre-concept pictures floating around the internet. Hope is potential buyers haven't already written off the product based on what they've seen.

Last edited by Derek M; 12-12-2005 at 07:56 AM.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:45 AM

agreed. Ive gotten the "looks like a mustang" from a lot of the people that I've shown the car. most of them were hardcore chevy guys, too. that said, they almost all (one guy didnt) LOVED IT
Old 12-12-2005, 08:05 AM

Well the "formula" of a pony Car is there.. but that dosn't make it look like a Mustang..
Old 12-12-2005, 08:14 AM

Yes, you are right... it looks like a Mustang... but a better interpretation of Mustang.

Btw, didn't the original Camaro look similar to Mustang? The 2nd, 3rd and 4th gen Camaros were definitely distinct!
Old 12-12-2005, 08:16 AM

Cool Re: New Camaro = Looks like a Mustang

Originally Posted by SSbaby
Yes, you are right... it looks like a Mustang... but a better interpretation of Mustang.
Uhhh...huh?

So it looks like a better interpretation of the Mustang than the Mustang itself?
S.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:18 AM

eeerrrrrrrrrrr…………

To each their own, I can see what you’re talking about, but I just don’t agree.

I can clearly tell each apart.

It’s also a bit early to say this seeing how the final concept is not released.

This is one of those discussions that would be better to have after the final concept is unveiled
Old 12-12-2005, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Snorman
Uhhh...huh?

So it looks like a better interpretation of the Mustang than the Mustang itself?
S.

Quick Reply: New Camaro = Looks like a Mustang