2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Motor Trend ZL1 vs Boss 302 Laguna Seca

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 06:39 PM

Re: Motor Trend ZL1 vs Boss 302 Laguna Seca

I think some people in here are overestimating the Laguna Seca's capabilities... Just because it is meant to be a track car doesnt mean that it is going to be the fastest Mustang around a track. There are plenty of tracks out there where the GT500 will outpace the Leguna Seca.

Here's a good reference article off all Mustang models being run around the Streets of Willow:
2011 Ford Mustang Track Shoot-Out

Think of it this way.... many would argue the lighter weight, higher redlining Z06 with a carbon package is more of a "drivers" car than the ZR1... but the ZR1 is faster. It's not just performance numbers which make a car great.

Honestly, I would totally expect a ZL1 to outrun a Boss, LS or not... it's way more car for substantially more coin. The ZL1 needs to be competitive with the GT500, which I am sure it will be.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Steve0
I think some people in here are overestimating the Laguna Seca's capabilities... Just because it is meant to be a track car doesnt mean that it is going to be the fastest Mustang around a track. There are plenty of tracks out there where the GT500 will outpace the Leguna Seca.

Here's a good reference article off all Mustang models being run around the Streets of Willow:

Think of it this way.... many would argue the lighter weight, higher redlining Z06 with a carbon package is more of a "drivers" car than the ZR1... but the ZR1 is faster. It's not just performance numbers which make a car great.

Honestly, I would totally expect a ZL1 to outrun a Boss, LS or not... it's way more car for substantially more coin. The ZL1 needs to be competitive with the GT500, which I am sure it will be.
I wouldnt consider the Z06 more of a "drivers car" than the ZR1. The ZR1 is bad *** well composed hugs the road etc. In that video you posted the Boss huged the road while the GT500 was all over the place. I agree with the guy in the video, the Boss would be my choice for Mustangs.

GT 500 might beat the Boss and maybe the ZL1 but that wouldnt be my choice.

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 01-19-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:19 AM

I'd take a Boss (non-LS) over a GT500 too....or any of the Camaros. If they had been on dealer lots when I bought my Vette, it would have been a tough choice for me (personal preferences, biases, etc).
Old 01-20-2012, 08:23 AM

im not a mustange guy, but if there were a camaro comparable to the boss and the camaro comparable to the gt500(zl1), i would pick the one comparable to the boss any day of the week over the gt500 style car(zl1). i guess it just comes down to what you really want out of your car. im not into the strait line performance or top speed BS, so the gt500 would be out for me. thats why i built my car as my version of a Z28...in SS form.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
so if the boss 302 laguna seca jumped off a bridge, should the camaro do it too?
Mustang went classic looks and so did a couple of other car manufacturers I know.

Every little bit of weight savings helps and adds up.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
I'd take a Boss (non-LS) over a GT500 too....or any of the Camaros. If they had been on dealer lots when I bought my Vette, it would have been a tough choice for me (personal preferences, biases, etc).
Same here, give me the Boss without the stripes and look at me officer paint. I'll also have an extra $15k in my pocket I saved over the ZL1 to beat it if I feel so inclined. I am more amazed at the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times for the Boss than I am at the Zl1 beating it by 2 seconds on a track. The Boss is showing you what to do Chevy and you are missing the point, Ford is hanging with a car that has 130 more hp and almost 180 more ft lb's of torque because it knows that it's easier to work with a lighter vehicle than a heavier one. The Boss needs better brakes and some suspension work but the canvas is there for greatness. Chevy did and awesome job on the ZL1 and they deserve credit but lets remember when this ZL1 hits a straight on the track it's hard to keep up when you are in a NA 444hp 5.0 engine and your competition has a Supercharged 580hp 6.2. If y'all think that is a fair comparison then more power to you.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
Bob, do you know if any of the Boss technology got rolled into the GT500 or will be?
Old 01-20-2012, 12:34 PM

The Boss LS has run faster than the GT500 as well (I think it was the LL at VIR) and it has run right with the GT500 at other tracks.

The Z06 Z07 package is also VERY competitive with the ZR1 depending on track layout and driver. Many/most road racers would rather have the lighter weight, naturally aspirated car if given the choice in my experience.

For the ZL1 to beat the Boss LS around a 2+ mile track by over 2 seconds is pretty darn impressive. It will be interesting to see how it does against the GT500, but I expect it to be better than/competitive with the current car, but likely bested by the 13' GT500.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
Bob, do you know if any of the Boss technology got rolled into the GT500 or will be?
I'm afraid I've been out of the Mustang "loop" for some time, and thus have no idea. I simply like the idea of the lightest, most powerful N/A car I can get my hands on. Hence the reason I went for a Vette this time.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:29 PM

This kinda brings me to another reason why I think this is an apples to oranges comparison. While I had no doubts that the ZL1 would be faster I dont think that the ZL1 would handle the abuse of a full weekend much less a season of racing. This is where I think some people misunderstand the definition of a dedicated track car. Even though it may not be the fastest offered I think that the LS will take repeated abuse with ease. Can't see the ZL1 holding up as well considering the weight and electronics that enable such inspiring lap times. This undoubtedly should be the same for the GT500.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by 95firehawk
This kinda brings me to another reason why I think this is an apples to oranges comparison. While I had no doubts that the ZL1 would be faster I dont think that the ZL1 would handle the abuse of a full weekend much less a season of racing. This is where I think some people misunderstand the definition of a dedicated track car. Even though it may not be the fastest offered I think that the LS will take repeated abuse with ease. Can't see the ZL1 holding up as well considering the weight and electronics that enable such inspiring lap times. This undoubtedly should be the same for the GT500.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by STOCK1SC
Same here, give me the Boss without the stripes and look at me officer paint. I'll also have an extra $15k in my pocket I saved over the ZL1 to beat it if I feel so inclined. I am more amazed at the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times for the Boss than I am at the Zl1 beating it by 2 seconds on a track. The Boss is showing you what to do Chevy and you are missing the point, Ford is hanging with a car that has 130 more hp and almost 180 more ft lb's of torque because it knows that it's easier to work with a lighter vehicle than a heavier one. The Boss needs better brakes and some suspension work but the canvas is there for greatness. Chevy did and awesome job on the ZL1 and they deserve credit but lets remember when this ZL1 hits a straight on the track it's hard to keep up when you are in a NA 444hp 5.0 engine and your competition has a Supercharged 580hp 6.2. If y'all think that is a fair comparison then more power to you.
Good points in this post that I agree with.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by 96_Camaro_B4C
LS Mustang: More of a dedicated track car that you can abuse repeatedly at a track with relatively little cost. In other words built to be extremely durable for relatively low cost.

ZL1: No expense spared to showcase every technological gadget in the arsenal. Extremely fast but not built for repeated abuse.

I know GM will say that they built the car to be durable but there's not enough tire or brake technology to withstand the abuse of a 4100 lbs car. Even in today's day and age electronic nannies (i.e. MRC, traction control, stability control, etc.) are still not perfect and prone to glitches and hiccups.

Even though these cars are both pony cars and perform exceptionally well they were built to attack the road from different paths hence apples to oranges. Can't dumb it down any more than that.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by STOCK1SC
The ZL1 is $8k more than the Laguna Seca. GM was never going after that car with the ZL1 - they're going after the GT500. Though interesting to see, the two cars here are not really direct competitors.

Like Motortrend said about the ZL1:
The Camaro is the benchmark for a new class of vehicle. Call it the Power Pony, the Warhorse -- the name isn't important. What is important is ZL1's on-demand attitude. Supercar levels of performance, with the daily driving comfort of a GT, wrapped in a nostalgic package.
The Laguna Seca on the other hand is a track focused vehicle.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by 95firehawk
Indeed, talk to anybody who tracks a GT500 and they will wax all day long about the evils of heat soak and how the computer pulls timing like crazy not to mention the other issue of carrying around that much more weight compared to the Boss LS.

Cars like the ZL1 and GT500 are magazine queens if you want to get right down to it. Thier job is to impress on paper for a few laps.

Frankly there is nothing wrong with this since they do indeed make great street cars. especially when you get the chance to stretch thier considerable legs however illegal or legal as the case may be.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend ZL1 vs Boss 302 Laguna Seca