2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor Trend: Camaro vs Mustang vs Challenger

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by TTopJohn
It varies - if you check all the option boxes on the SS and the GT, the GT actually costs a few thousand more.
Didn't bother doing it with the GT, but i do remember checking off all the boxes on the 2SS/RS camaro and the price tag neared $46k. You're telling me the mustang GT coupe can be optioned thousands beyond that?

Old?
What was the first D2C vehicle and Zeta vehicles?
I meant for being a refresh/reskin of what is essentially a car that is already 5 model years old vs a car that is all new. But since you asked the question, the 2005 mustang was the 1st (and only) model on the D2C and the 2008 G8 is the 1st zeta model sold stateside (holden had 06/07 zeta models). So if my #'s and years are correct, than my comment on the zeta platform being "newer" wasn't totally off-base. It may not be a whole lot newer, but it is newer nonetheless. But my point was comparing an all new camaro model vs a mustang that is a essentially a refresh of a model that is already 5 years old.

Originally Posted by Diesel151Z
I don't really like the price comparison here because the options aren't similar. Yes the mustang was $34K, but it was a premium with track pack. I don't know if you can get the track pack on a regular GT, but the added cost of leather and other options on the premium model add up. Put the same non performance options on the camaro, and you are probably right at the same price range...
You can get the track pack option on the base GT.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
those are exactly the guys im looking for after i get my car.
all im going to do is change the gears, cam swap, lt headers, catback, remove cats, tune and im sweet. i wont really be worried about anything in my area.
Sounds pretty good. What kind of #'s do you think it'll pull?
Old 03-24-2009, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Gold_Rush
I too was fairly impressed and surprised with the trackpack optioned GT for being on older platform and down 111horses. That's definitely a must have option on the GT and worth the $1,400. I'd like to see GM offer something along the same lines. I'm also looking forward to seeing what this option will do with the upgraded powertrain next year on the mustang.

The challenger was a big disappointment. It's just too big and heavy a car.

I think the Challenger was just added in there as filler. As you say, it's simply too big and heavy to be compared to the Camaro and Mustang. As always, this is about Camaro vs Mustang.

We all knew that the superb LS3 would do it's part, but anyone else feeling some disappointment here? I'm not surprised, but disappointed that Camaro couldn't really take down Mustang in handling or at least provide a more satisfying drive. Afterall, that's always been a Camaro hallmark. And considering that GM has had 5 years to benchmark every last nut and bolt on the Mustang, has the advantage of virtual pivot front struts, multi-link IRS and fancy Brembos, makes it sting even more. With all of Camaros advantages, you'd think -- you'd hope -- it could have destroyed Mustang when it comes to chassis dynamics.

But all of those advantages couldn't circumvent the laws of physics. Those laws rule and Mustang does have the advantage there. If physics were a woman, she'd be a wicked b!tch.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:29 PM

Didn't bother doing it with the GT, but i do remember checking off all the boxes on the 2SS/RS camaro and the price tag neared $46k. You're telling me the mustang GT coupe can be optioned thousands beyond that?
Ahh, I should have been more clear - I wasn't thinking of $4000 wheels and $2000 ground effects and optional color interiors as real options. When in fact they are very real options in terms of what they cost.

I got the following prices - a Mustang GT Coupe more or less fully loaded (polished 18"s instead of the $1000 19s, no "security package", no backup camera) has an MSRP of $38,015.

But my basically fully loaded Camaro was only $36,750 - a 2SS/RS with all of what I consider the real options, i.e. everything but the following: stripes, body color engine cover, wing, ground effects, automatic. Oh, and the $36,750 includes the $470 polished 20" wheels.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:12 PM

Am I the only one?

I am the only one who finds the numbers the Camaro SS is puting down just a little bit disappointing?

I'm not saying they are bad because they aren't bad and I'm glad to see that it's beating its most direct competition which is important but with 426HP I was expecting some better numbers.

The lateral acceleration is especially disappointing; at least for me it is.

Am I just missing something here?

EDIT: Ok...maybe I'm not the only one then. I didn't see this until after I posted mine.

Originally Posted by Z284ever
We all knew that the superb LS3 would do it's part, but anyone else feeling some disappointment here? I'm not surprised, but disappointed that Camaro couldn't really take down Mustang in handling or at least provide a more satisfying drive. Afterall, that's always been a Camaro hallmark. And considering that GM has had 5 years to benchmark every last nut and bolt on the Mustang, has the advantage of virtual pivot front struts, multi-link IRS and fancy Brembos, makes it sting even more. With all of Camaros advantages, you'd think -- you'd hope -- it could have destroyed Mustang when it comes to chassis dynamics.

Last edited by Route66Wanderer; 03-24-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:08 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by Z284ever

But all of those advantages couldn't circumvent the laws of physics. Those laws rule and Mustang does have the advantage there. If physics were a woman, she'd be a wicked b!tch.
I've been doing front end alignments with/for my dad at his shop since I was 12 and feel very strongly that increased spring rates and stiffer shocks, front and back, as well as lowering the car slightly (vital to bring the gravity center down), possibly opting for wider rubber (265 front / 295 back) and those lower rear end gears all would, I feel, make the SS a completely different car, and more closely resemble the "vision" of it we have all had since the 2006 show car first wowed us.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:59 PM

This is the second test where the M6 SS pulled a 13.0 @111mph. If I'm a test driver working for Motor Trend I think I'd try a few more times to get that 12.9X ET especially with a trap at 111. Just to show off my own driving prowess. I'd almost feel embraced to turn in that slip with the trap showing so much more on the table.

However they certainly got quite a nice run from the L99 A6 SS at 13.1 @107. I think cold conditions helped a lot with the power as the auto shouldn't ever have much problem launching.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Logansneo
I've been doing front end alignments with/for my dad at his shop since I was 12 and feel very strongly that increased spring rates and stiffer shocks, front and back, as well as lowering the car slightly (vital to bring the gravity center down), possibly opting for wider rubber (265 front / 295 back) and those lower rear end gears all would, I feel, make the SS a completely different car, and more closely resemble the "vision" of it we have all had since the 2006 show car first wowed us.
If true, and I don't doubt it, it's too bad Chvey didn't do that on its own.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Route66Wanderer
My guess is they were saving the good stuff for the Z28.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:44 PM

I wouldn't say I am disappointed with Camaro's handling, mostly because the weight made me somewhat pessimistic about it. I think the problem is going to be when the Mustang gets re-engined. At that point the track pack Stangs might be the leader in most of the performance categories I have to say that from these comparisons I am very impressed with the Track Pack GT's and if I was buying a Mustang there is no way I would skip that option.
Originally Posted by Logansneo
I don't disagree but if you look at the 4th Gens, their issue was that they had pitiful shocks. I have had two, a 2000 V6 Bird and my 2001 Formula, and for both I kept the stock springs and switched to Bilstein HD's and Koni SA's respectively. In each case it was a night and day difference. Wallowy to precise. Almost as extreme as going from an old Buick to the C5R. I don't know what the specs are on the 5th but if they skimped on the shocks again then that may be all that is required.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:52 PM

Here's an older Top Gear clip showing a Roush Stage 2 Mustang vs. a Shelby GT500 convertible. Pay very close attention to Clarksons comments on the more expensive GT500's handling and you'll notice that Shelby didn't get it right at all the first time out. The Roush is lighter and has been lowered, with better springs and shocks and brakes! This is what I'm talking about with the SS!

Roush vs. GT500 vs. Lotus Elise
Old 03-25-2009, 12:00 AM

Here's another comparo Inside Line did between the Z06 and 2008 GT500KR. If the Camaro SS had those gears I swear it would tear up the Shelby! Even so listen to what the Shelby does!

Comparison Video

Here's the KR evaluated all by itself:

KR Clip

Last edited by Logansneo; 03-25-2009 at 12:23 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:21 AM

I think that a lot of wiggle room in the suspension was to be used in the Z28. So the SS was purposely designed to not have the A list suspension stuff so the Z28 could have it.

But be that as it may, many of us couldn't care less what the lateral G's are. I live in an area of the country that is straight and flat. The only curves we have are on ramps and exit ramps on the highway. I want my Camaro to lay some smack in a straight line. Because that's all I'm going to use.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:58 AM

Sounds pretty good. What kind of #'s do you think it'll pull?
i really want to get 500hp. my origional plan was to the wheels, but after seeing the 364 dyno numbers, i think i am going to try to just get 500 to the crank. i really want 500 to the wheels but i think ill have to do a bit more to get that.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Route66Wanderer
the gearing is the way it is for the MPG.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend: Camaro vs Mustang vs Challenger