2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most Important Camaro, the V6

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 12:20 PM
Disciple

Re: Most Important Camaro, the V6

Base: 240hp 3.9L V6
RS: 270hp 3.9L V6
Std V8: 350hp 5.3L LS3 V8
Opt V8: 450hp 6.2L LS9 V8

That sounds like a good lineup to me.

I lost track of how many different engine lineups I've posted.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by 5thGen
but if you are jumping from 240 to 300, that should not be necesary. I can understang going from 200 to 475 a la Shelby, but 240-300 is like putting a 50 shot on a 1993 Mustang, the wheels won't fall off when you hit the spray.
In going from 240 hp to 300 hp, you are probably going from 250-260 tq. to 320-340 tq.

It doesn't matter if we think it's ok to run parts from a 240 HP car on a 300 HP car, GM has to warranty the cars. Reliability is an issue as is performance. I can guarantee you won't see GM offering a base V6 model with NOTHING other than a V8 swapped into it. You will see the different springs, swaybars, wheels/tires, brakes, etc. - AKA, Z28.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by 97bowtie
In going from 240 hp to 300 hp, you are probably going from 250-260 tq. to 320-340 tq.

It doesn't matter if we think it's ok to run parts from a 240 HP car on a 300 HP car, GM has to warranty the cars. Reliability is an issue as is performance. I can guarantee you won't see GM offering a base V6 model with NOTHING other than a V8 swapped into it. You will see the different springs, swaybars, wheels/tires, brakes, etc. - AKA, Z28.
I think they can have good enough stuff on the base to cover the base and the 1st V8, save the suspension tweaks for the hipo cars.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:58 PM

i think whatever happens, the Mustang needs to be the bar. GM needs to be able to offer at least what the Mustang has in all it's respective categories at around the same price. GM has options that trump Ford right off the bat, like XM and OnStar and these features need to be stressed on the base models.

as for engine line-up(for the 1,756,945 time):

-base 3.9L V6 - 230-250hp
-optional 5.3L V8 - 300-325hp
-performance 6.0L V8 (assuming the LS2 is still around) - 375-400hp
-high output (either 6.2L or 7.0L) V8 - 450-500hp (make it worth spending the extra money on)

p.s.-i purposely left off model designations to avoid "The Mother of All Debates".
Old 01-12-2006, 01:02 PM

What is the point of a V6 Camaro? It is like owning a gun without bullets. It is a bat without a ball. It's Abbot without Costello. It's pointless.
I think GM is in such financial straights that we will be doing good to have just one version of the new Camaro. And since they have already touted the V8 LS7 then I hope that's the base model. Make one version of the car and a lot of em! Make the performance version cheap enough for everyone.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:05 PM

If GM doesn't build a V8 Camaro that'll put the competition in the weeds, there will be no need for a V6 Camaro because the car will be dead.

Yes a base V6 car is needed to make the numbers work. However, if it becomes GM's primary focus, the car will fail before it gets off the starting line.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Yes a base V6 car is needed to make the numbers work. However, if it becomes GM's primary focus, the car will fail before it gets off the starting line.
Just like the mustang?

You may disagree with me, although I feel that Ford has primarily catered to the "everyday" crowd. They have definitely met the needs of the performance sector, but I think the car is focused around the V6 models.

Heck... the chassis design came from the Lincoln LS, not exactly a corner carver or a straight line animal.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:12 PM

What about an I6 in the Camaro (just like in the first gens...talk about retro)...could it be done? I have a trailblazer with the 4.2I6 / 275hp...I think it would make a nice base engine. Just my .02.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by POWERFREAK
What about an I6 in the Camaro?
To me, it doesn't look like the nose of the car has either the length or the height to house the I6.
http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-20...-1920x1440.jpg
Old 01-12-2006, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by samualt
What is the point of a V6 Camaro? It is like owning a gun without bullets. It is a bat without a ball. It's Abbot without Costello. It's pointless.
I think GM is in such financial straights that we will be doing good to have just one version of the new Camaro. And since they have already touted the V8 LS7 then I hope that's the base model. Make one version of the car and a lot of em! Make the performance version cheap enough for everyone.

I am goign to ask you to go look up sales numbers for the base models of both the camaro and mustang throughout history. Then look up the V8 models sales numbers. Then look how little sense this statement made.

THe base model is what floats the boat, not the other way around. Yes, for the few of us where performance matters, it matters big time. But to the 1,000,000 people who are going to be looking for "a nice 2 door with good quality and nice standard options", the base Camaro has to appeal 1 out of ten of them. And they are not going to buy a Z/28. They are going to buy "the red one".

The Z/28 is going to sell itself. It will be a barnstormer, it will kick ***.

If you look at Motorcycles, cars and trucks, the lower priced models ALWAYS outsell the higher priced models.

Ferrari, the F430 outsells all the other cars combined 4 to 1, it is also the cheapest by like 100k.

Harley Davidsons, The sportsters are the ones that people make fun of for being the cheap model, but it outsells all the other models.

Chevrolet, in cars, their volume seller for years was the Cavalier.

And while the V6 Camaro is pointless and unacceptable to you, for ever guy who thinks like you there are 100 other men and women who just want a nice 2 door "sporty" car with nice features.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by POWERFREAK
What about an I6 in the Camaro (just like in the first gens...talk about retro)...could it be done? I have a trailblazer with the 4.2I6 / 275hp...I think it would make a nice base engine. Just my .02.
The I6 would be a bad choice overall. It doesn't get the gas mileage needed, our trailblazer averages about 17. The mpg needs to be at least 25. I would also hate to put 7 quarts of oil into a car every oil change.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
If GM doesn't build a V8 Camaro that'll put the competition in the weeds, there will be no need for a V6 Camaro because the car will be dead.

To me, you have your thinking backwards.

GM has the capability to kill the Mustang in the corners and in the straights, and they will. I'm not worried about that in the slightest, considering the show car came out with a 400 hp engine.

If the V6 version has a crappy interior, and not as many standard features as a Honda Accord, it won't steal Sales from it.

If the V6 has a cheap interior, and not as many standard features as a base Mustang, it won't steal sales from it.

If the V6 has 15 inch wheels that look dumb on it, and the Eclipse has cool 17 inch rims, and has more standard features, the camaro won't steal sales from it.

Get where I am going with this?

We have already seen that the Performance side does not support the car. There is a HUGE market in the US for 2 door sedans. Look at how well GM did in the 70s-80s with the Regal/ Gran Prix/ Monte Carlo/ Cutlass..... That was before foreign cars took a huge bite out of that market. It is still there, it just has been spread thin among a bunch of different cars and models, instead of 1 platform with 4 models dominating the whole thing.

The Camaro has to be an attractive 4 seat 2 door sedan in order to be successful The performance will come. We all know that.

Sorry for being a broken record but the base models support the whole line. If you don't know that consider yourself taught, and don't go around saying the Camaro has to have a LS7 and who cares about the V6, cause it doesn;t matter. It is the one model that matters the most.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by 5thGen
I think they can have good enough stuff on the base to cover the base and the 1st V8, save the suspension tweaks for the hipo cars.
Sure, GM could build a base V6 model that will support the V8 with no other changes, but I don't think it will happen. The distiction will be made between the base car and the Z28 (or whatever it is badged), not only by the engine, but by the suspension, brakes, drivetrain, wheels/tires, etc. JMO.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:24 PM

There shouldn't be a million engine options. There should be a normal V6 car, a Z28 with whatever motor (say LS2 if it was going to market today), and an SS car with a legitimately improved motor (not the same motor with an exhaust like the 4th gens). You don't want to get into a hundred different engine options like you had in the 80s because it dilutes the reputation (and therefore the appeal) of the entire model. 10 years ago every knucklehead thought the Mustang was the car to have because his buddy's Foxbody smoked a thirdgen, but they never understood that the thirdgen was probably a 150hp LG4 and not an L98. Mustangs had a reputation that the "average joe" (who is the one likely to buy a V6) carried with him right through the end of the 4th gens, even though by that time it was well known among gearheads that the 4th gens could stomp any mustang. Everybody likes to associate themselves with a winning team (bandwagon fans), and that holds true with cars too. V6 mustangs sell so well partly because with the non-gearhead crowd, they're seen as the ultimate muscle car.

Yet another major selling point is the visual appeal. Base model mustangs appeal to the average joe, who thought that 4th gens were big and ugly. The new camaro needs to have a shape that can be toned down and simplified for the V6, and it needs to have short overhangs so that its overall length isn't as long as a 4th gen. It needs to be able to look "cute" for the average-Jane to pull her away from Mustangs, Crossfires, and even Miatas and the like. It's still got to have a somewhat mean look without being offensive so that it can appeal to the average-Joe who doesn't want the gaudy flash of a 4th gen WS6. Right now the v6 mustang seems to do a good job appealing to both of those buyers.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:39 PM

Hey Jim, tell us how you really feel! Lol sorry, had to b done!

Quick Reply: Most Important Camaro, the V6