2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Power for 2011 Mustang, will Camaro respond?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 02:41 PM

i could care less what the new stang gets in terms of power. If i had a say GM should concentrate on suspension, gearing, interior.

Anyone who says the LS3 isn't enough for now is crazy. Its equally crazy to think Ford is gonna sit around and spot everyone (including mopar) alot of hp.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:47 PM

I like that Ford is coming out with the 5.0. Finally a car that can match the SS instead of those stupid previous comparisons of a GT500 and an SS, geez how lame was that. I think the Camaro will still come out on top, o the blue oval fans will cry. But I think we are entering a new race for a better car, MAYBE the camaro will opt to better the looks and weight. The HP numbers might rise.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Z28x
Mustang GT will weight about the same as a Camaro SS
I wondered about that..... Only a 23 pound weight gain in the 2011 Mustang GT? (3580 v.s. 3603) I'm not sure how that can be.....I know the 6 speed will have to add significant weight as will the extra set of cams and required gear to turn them.
Originally Posted by JasonD
Yes, to some the solid axle is preferred the IRS, but that is the exception and not the rule. The car has to be built for the buying requirements of the majority of the market segment.
As far as the 5th gen needing IRS to compete, I feel thats total BS and I'm still pissed about it. When the Mustang is selling in comparable numbers with 100 less horse and about the same price, obviously IRS doesn't make much difference. A live axle would have saved weight, cost and been easily upgradable for serious drag/track abuse.
I doubt wanting a few guys to be comfy driving on washboard dirt roads warrants building a whole car around them. I'd bet 1000 dollars that in a taste test the average Joe could never tell which car had what axle after driving each, Camaro vs Mustang.
Then again I understand not wanting to get kicked around in the mags how the Camaro is in the stone age with its live axle, but would a Car & Driver enthusiast even buy a Camaro? Oh, that's right, Car and Driver picked the underpowered live axle Mustang over the Camaro anyway...... Damn it GM, I wanted my strong live rear axle!!!!!
The better argument is that its a global platform that uses IRS and thats what we were stuck with. Rant Off....

As far as the Camaro stepping up..... Look to the Vette. Seems like when it sees an increase the Camaro will also feel the gain! I doubt that we would see an increase so soon..... But the GTO and SSR did only after one year....but the Vette also got the LS2 at the same time.

Last edited by Andy30thZ; 01-07-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:34 PM
wbt

Originally Posted by Andy30thZ
I wondered about that..... Only a 23 pound weight gain in the 2011 Mustang GT? (3580 v.s. 3603) I'm not sure how that can be.....I know the 6 speed will have to add significant weight as will the extra set of cams and required gear to turn them.
2010 Mustang GT comes in a 3533 curb weight.
2011 Mustang GT is estimated to be 3603 curb weight.

New motor only weighs 10 lbs. more than the 4.6
6 speed manual is lighter than the current 5 speed Tremec.

That is how Ford did it.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by wbt

That is how Ford did it.
AFAIK, the Brembo brake package will be an option and not standard on the '11 GT, at least not according to what I heard from a Brembo person. How much that might add is not something I know. It might be he was confused by the question...

It might be a part of a "Track Pack" and thus the weight of the badboy version might be higher than the preliminary number suggests.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:55 PM
wbt

Originally Posted by 1fastdog
AFAIK, the Brembo brake package will be an option and not standard on the '11 GT, at least not according to what I heard from a Brembo person. How much that might add is not something I know. It might be he was confused by the question...

It might be a part of a "Track Pack" and thus the weight of the badboy version might be higher than the preliminary number suggests.
Very true.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by wbt
Very true.
I don't know what version they claim the weight on, for instance smaller brakes, smaller wheels or the more aggressive package.

I note that you were looking at the Mustang and the Camaro.

I appreciate you considering the Camaro and I hope we get your business.

I have little doubt that, perhaps, there might be some additional Camaro goodies that will make your choice even easier.

Either way, your inclusion of Camaro in your consideration is definately appreciated.

Last edited by 1fastdog; 01-08-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:58 PM
wbt

Originally Posted by 1fastdog
I don't know what version they claim the weight on, for instance smaller brakes, smaller wheels or the more aggressive package.

I note that you were looking at the Mustang and the Camaro.

I appreciate you considering the Camaro and I hope we get your business.

I have little doubt that, perhaps, there might be some additional Camaro goodies that will make yoy choice even easier.

Either way, your inclusion of Camaro in your consideration is definately appreciated.
Thank you! :-D

I will say the friendliness between this site and camaro5 is night and day. Kudo's to all the members here.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by wbt
Thank you! :-D

I will say the friendliness between this site and camaro5 is night and day. Kudo's to all the members here.
Yes, this is primarily a friendly group here.

As far as the other forums? I think I might have missed the angst you speak of.

I have met Camaro enthusiasts that follow different sites and they are all a case by case reaction for me.

I like Camaro folks wherever they hang out.

I'm hoping to see lots of Camaro fans at NAIAS starting next weekend. Staying at the Ren Center will be like old home week for me.

Last edited by 1fastdog; 01-08-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by wbt

That is how Ford did it.
For reference, the 2010 GT Track Pack weighed 3,575 in numerous tests. Thats a gain of 42 pounds over the standard GT and that car did not include the large brembo brakes.

It looks as if wheel/tire options in 2011 are going to be the same size, so that eliminates that variable. Therefore, I look for the 2011 Track Pack with Brembos to weigh a minimum of 50 pounds more than the standard GT putting the weight at 3,650+ pounds (oh, and I have been saying that for a year now).

Now, that is still 200 pounds lighter than the Camaro.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:57 AM

We might have to wait and see. Until then, it really doesn't matter how long you've been saying anything.

OMG, imagine that!!!
Old 01-15-2010, 08:58 AM

they new mustang needs IRS.... at least so the weight difference is not so great.. lol
Old 01-15-2010, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
We might have to wait and see. Until then, it really doesn't matter how long you've been saying anything.

OMG, imagine that!!!
Bob, you are going to owe me a beer. You and SBo3 on svtperformance.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:36 AM

Nope - it really matters not to me if the track pack is 10, 25, 50, or 100 lbs heavier than the standard GT, cause I wouldn't get the track pack anyway.

I just find all the speculation humorous.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:15 PM
wbt

Wink

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
Nope - it really matters not to me if the track pack is 10, 25, 50, or 100 lbs heavier than the standard GT, cause I wouldn't get the track pack anyway.

I just find all the speculation humorous.
Internet racing at it's finest.

Quick Reply: More Power for 2011 Mustang, will Camaro respond?